Information governance at University of Plymouth is the management of information through a co-ordinated approach of policies and procedures.
Part of this framework is knowing the following about the University’s information:
- What information the University has
- Who is responsible for the information
- Where the information is located
- How long does the information need to kept
The primary aim of information governance is to ensure both paper and electronic information are treated appropriately. In particular, it ensures:
- Compliance with legal and regulatory obligations
- Protection of individuals’ privacy
- Information is current and accurate
- Risks of information security breaches are minimised.