Thank you for applying to the University of Plymouth. We require all applicants who will be under the age of 18 on commencement of their studies* to provide us with details of a guardian in line with our safeguarding policy.
Please note your guardian must be living in the UK with a UK postal address, be able to speak English and over the age of 18. The guardian will be contacted by the University in the case of an emergency or in other situations where a guardian may be required.
The guardian cannot be a student at the University of Plymouth or University of Plymouth International College (UPIC) unless they are a sibling or family member of the applicant, where they must also satisfy the requirements stated above.
We do this as part of our approach to supporting students under the age of 18 who will be commencing study at the University.
Please ask your guardian in the UK to complete the form above, please note it must not be completed by you.
Completion of this form is a condition of your offer so it must be completed by your guardian and returned in order for your offer to become unconditional, when other offer conditions have also been met.
- Please note we may contact the person you have nominated as your guardian to verify their details and to confirm they are prepared to act in this capacity for you
- If you do not know an appropriate person in the UK who could undertake to be your guardian, you will need to engage the services of a professional guardianship company.
- Details of these organisations can be found via The Association for the Education & Guardianship of International Students. Applicants will need to provide proof of their contract with the agency. The Guardianship Agency may be contacted by the University to check they have the correct details registered for the University.
- The UK guardian (including friend/family member or guardianship agency) does NOT act as legal guardian for the under 18 applicant or student, this responsibility remains with the parent or legal guardian. The role of the UK guardian for University study purposes will cease on the 18th birthday of the applicant/student.
- If you are progressing from UPIC to the University section of your course and you are still under 18 at this time, you may wish to continue to use the same guardian assigned for your UPIC study.
*By this we mean the start date of your induction week in the relevant academic year that you commence your studies.