Develop your staff and transform your business
Do you want your business to remain competitive? Do you need support with succession planning? Do you want to fill skills gaps? And retain the best talent?
We understand the difficulties some employers have in developing and retaining highly skilled employees. Designed by employers for employers, our work-based degree apprenticeships and higher apprenticeships address skills gaps, staff retention issues and support succession planning.
Adaptable by nature, and utilising Government funding, they can be used to upskill your existing employees including senior management, as well as to attract new talent to your business.
Combining a high-quality education with work-based learning and ongoing professional development, the knowledge your employees gain can be directly and immediately applied to the workplace.
No age limit – suitable for school leavers or your existing workforce
Duration – two-four years
Qualifications – University of Plymouth Honours Degree or Masters with optional professional qualification
Cost – paid by the employer through Government funding or financial incentives
Industry – suitable for all industry sectors and all size businesses
Study – part-time study around work commitments
If you are an individual who is interested in applying for a Degree
Apprenticeship, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for
Please indicate which apprenticeship/s you are interested in.
What are the benefits to your business?
With an international reputation and proven track record of providing higher-level education, we can support your business to upskill your staff and grow your business at no or little upfront cost.
Employees gain either a higher-level qualification or an honours degree with the University of Plymouth, utilising an academic community that is distinguished by its high quality teaching.
We make it easy
One size does not fit all when it comes to training. Our industry-led, consultative approach means we identify training needs within your business and provide bespoke solutions to your skills gaps.
We recognise that funding for training is not always straightforward. As education funding experts, we can support you in accessing Government funding via the apprenticeship levy or provide alternative funding options to minimise or eradicate any up-front cost to your business.
"There is no doubt that Lineal has had a return on investment from the Degree Apprenticeship.
The highly skilled training that our apprentice has received has allowed us to improve our offer at Lineal. This has resulted in the introduction of a Cyber Security division which is of great benefit to our customers."
Mike Matthews - Managing Director, Lineal Software
Higher and degree apprenticeships in practice
Who are they for?
Both current employees, including senior managers and newly recruited employees can study for a higher apprenticeship or work-based degree qualifications. The knowledge they gain can be directly applied to the workplace and will quickly grow the skillset within your organisation.
How does the training work?
Employees study a core set of modules with flexible elements that businesses can choose to meet their ongoing requirements. Your employee is able to work and study giving them the flexibility that they need while still being on the payroll.
Employees will be expected to spend at least 20 per cent of their contracted working hours in training or approximately 12 hours per week. Depending on the apprenticeship programme, this could be in the form of day release for attendance at University, or time to study online.
Government funding is available to support with up-front training costs, and if you are a business with a annual pay bill of over £3 million you might have already ‘paid’ for the training through the apprenticeship levy. There are two funding models:
For levy paying organisations
If the annual pay bill of your organisation exceeds £3 million, the apprenticeship training is paid through your levy account. This means it will be fully funded by you as the employer. Once you have exceeded the spend on your levy account you will then move to the co-funded model.
For non-levy paying organisations
The government will co-fund the apprenticeship training by contributing 90 per cent of the costs and you will support with the remaining 10 per cent.Additional financial incentives:
- If you train a 16–18-year-old the Government will pay £1,000 to employers, and £1,000 to the University
- If you have fewer than 50 employees and train a 16-18 year old the Government will fund 100 per cent of the training costs
- If you train a 19–24-year-old leaving care or who have a Local Authority Education and Healthcare plan the Government will pay £1,000 to employers and £1,000 to the University.