Student contract

Key terms of your contract with the University

This summary highlights key terms of your contract with the University and is for guidance only. 

You must read the full terms of that contract, as set out in the Student Contract document and the documents referred to in it (such as the student handbook) which are available on the University's website. 

Your contract with the University will be legally binding when it takes effect and it will govern your relationship with the University. 

If there is anything that you are unsure of, you should contact the University.

1. When does the contract take effect?

If you have applied directly to the University, the date when your contract with the University takes effect will be determined in accordance with your offer letter, once you accept that offer.

If you have applied via UCAS, the contract will take effect when you accept the University's offer as a 'Firm Choice' or when your 'Insurance Choice' becomes your 'Firm Choice (because, for example, you do not meet the entry requirements for your 'Firm Choice').

2. What makes up my contract with the University?

Your contract with the University is made up of the Student Contract document and the documents referred to in it, including any specific requirements in your offer from the University, any entry and attendance requirements and the University’s regulations, policies and procedures (including the student handbook). This is not an exhaustive list. Your contract may also be subject to other agreements, rules or regulations between you and the University which relate to your studies.

Your contract with the University is separate from any agreements which do not relate to your studies, such as agreements concerning accommodation.

3. What happens if I do not pay my tuition fees or if I do not pay on time?
If you do not pay your tuition fees on time, the University may appoint a debt collection agency to recover the outstanding amounts from you. 
The University may withhold any award otherwise due to you and defer your graduation until all arrears have been paid. 
You will also be prevented from re-enrolling onto a programme. 
Please refer to the Fees Policy which will apply in any case of outstanding debt. 
Please see the Student Contract document (paragraphs 12.3 and 12.4) for further information.

Marine technology students

4. Is it possible for me to cancel my contract with the University if I change my mind?

Yes. You have a legal right to cancel your contract with the University within 14 days of that contract coming into effect. 

You must notify us of your decision to cancel the contract (please see paragraph 15 of the Student Contract document for further information). If you choose to exercise this right, any tuition fees you have paid will be refunded to you in full.

In addition, you can withdraw from your programme at any point under the terms of the University’s policies. 

If you are an undergraduate student or postgraduate taught student and you choose to withdraw from your programme, you may be entitled to a refund of the tuition fees that you have paid to the University at the point of withdrawal (or a proportion of those fees). 

The amount to be refunded will be determined in accordance with the University’s Withdrawal and Interrupt Tuition Fee Charging Policy.

5. Can the University terminate its contract with me?

Yes, in limited circumstances: for example, where you are withdrawn from the University for any reason; or you fail to pay any outstanding tuition fees; or if your immigration status changes and you are no longer eligible to study at the University; or if your application to the University contains any false or misleading information or omissions. 

The University will notify you in writing of its decision to terminate the contract and explain its reasons. 

Please see the Student Contract document (paragraphs 3, 16 and 17) for further information.

International students filling in an application form

6. Will I own any intellectual property rights that I create?

The general principle is that students who are not employed by the University will own any intellectual property they create during the course of their studies or research activities. 

This is subject to the University’s Intellectual Property Policy which can be found on the University’s website.

7. What arrangements do I need to make prior to enrolment?

You should arrange accommodation for the duration of your studies and adequate funding for all of your tuition fees, any additional costs for your programme and your living costs. 

We strongly recommend that you obtain insurance to protect your personal belongings.

If you are an international student, then you must ensure that you have satisfied any visa and immigration requirements. 

Your contract with the University is subject to these arrangements and if your immigration status should change, the University may decide to terminate the contract.

8. How will the University use my personal information?

The University will hold and process your personal data in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018. 

This will apply from the time of your application until after you have left the University. 

The University will use the information to provide you with services and to operate its day-to-day functions. In certain circumstances, the University may disclose your personal data to other organisations. 

This will be done in accordance with the terms of your contract with the University, including the Personal Information and Data Protection section of the student handbook.

Please see the Student Contract document (paragraph 9) and the relevant section of the student handbook for further information.

9. How will the University use my Next of Kin and emergency contact information?
We request and store details of next of kin and emergency contact details for students in order to exercise our duty of care (and in the case of students with a Student visa, formerly Tier 4 this is a requirement of the visa). This information is stored on the relevant University information systems (e.g. Salesforce, Unit-E) in accordance with legislative requirements including the General Data Protection Regulation and Data Protection Act 2018.We use these details very rarely. It is the University’s usual policy to correspond with students and not next of kin or emergency contacts. This means that the University will not usually give information to parents or legal guardians regarding the student’s progress, results or any other personal circumstance unless the student has given specific consent or specific circumstances apply when the University is obliged to contact their named next of kin or emergency contact.
Wherever possible, the student’s permission will be sought prior to us contacting their next of kin or emergency contact. If this is not possible, for instance because the student is incapable or unconscious, or if permission is denied or the law requires it, in very exceptional circumstances the University may contact the next of kin or emergency contact. This will normally be where there are serious concerns for the welfare of the individual student for example, the University becoming aware of the student being admitted to hospital, a serious illness (mental or physical), serious incident, or when a student is seemingly ‘missing’. Making a decision to contact a next of kin or emergency contact will only be made by a senior manager of the University, usually within Academic Registry and Student Services or the University Executive Leadership Group. 
It is the responsibility of students to notify the University in the event the details of their next of kin or emergency contact change throughout the academic year.

11. What can the University be liable to me for?

The University will be liable to you for any loss or damages which are a foreseeable result of the University's breach of contract or failure to use reasonable skill and care.

The University will not be liable if its failure to comply with the terms of its contract with you is caused by events outside its control (which may include a lack of key personnel or industrial action taking place).

The University will not be liable for the actions of any third parties (including the Students’ Union or placement providers), except where the University is liable by law.

Please see the Student Contract document (paragraphs 6 and 14) for further information.