Come and join one of our face-to-face or online Pre-sessional courses.
Pre-sessional academic English courses
Are you holding a conditional offer to study at the University of Plymouth but need to improve your English?
About the course
Our Pre-sessional English courses are open to any student holding an offer to study at undergraduate or postgraduate level at the University of Plymouth who needs to improve their English to meet the University’s English language requirements.
A Pre-sessional English course will help you to:
- Improve your overall English language proficiency to meet the requirements of your degree offer
- Develop key academic and study skills essential for success on your degree programme
- Feel prepared for degree-level study in the UK
Which Pre-sessional is for me?
We will be offering both online and face-to-face options for Pre-sessional English study in Summer 2023. The duration of your course will depend on your current level of English and the requirements of the academic programme you hold an offer for.
When making your choice, please be aware that students opting for an online Pre-sessional must complete the course from their home country and must not travel to the UK at any time during the course.
Students studying on campus are expected to be in the UK and ready to start on the first day of the course.
Course structure and content
Both online and on-campus courses will include:
- A full programme of tutor-led classes
- One-to-one and small group tutorials with class tutor
- Independent and group work activities
- Weekly sessions with student ‘Buddies’
- Access to additional practice and self-study resources
- Continuous formative feedback and guidance from class tutors
It is important to note that only successful completion of a Pre-sessional English course (i.e. demonstration of the level of English required in the skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking) guarantees progression onto the main degree programme.
In order to meet the English requirements, you need to:
- Engage fully with the programme of study by attending all classes and tutorials.
- Be an active participant in class.
- Complete all homework tasks and assignments set.
- Take responsibility for your own learning and progress by undertaking independent study throughout the course.
Accommodation in one of our halls of residence is available to all students enrolling on an on-campus Pre-sessional, with breakfast included Monday – Friday.
Rooms are ensuite with shared kitchens. A bedding pack (duvet, pillow, sheets & towel) will be provided.
How to apply
Download the application form for your chosen Pre-sessional course:
PS Certificate of Completion in Academic English Skills on-campus
PS Certificate of Completion in Academic English Skills online
Send your completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to welcoming you to the University of Plymouth.
If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com
Noha has studied a Pre-sessional academic English course with the English Language Centre at the University of Plymouth.
She is progressing on to a foundation pathway at Plymouth University International College, leading to BSc (Hons) Tourism and Hospitality Management.