Mature accommodation in halls
Postgraduate, mature, and returning students
Accommodation for postgraduates, mature students, and returning students is available across all six of our halls of residence. We do not have dedicated 'mature halls' however upon completing your application, you will be allocated a room in a flat with other postgraduate, mature, or returning students.
Applying for University-managed accommodation
We offer single occupancy accommodation with the option of booking a 41 week licence or a 42 week licence. Our accommodation portal opens for bookings on the 1 February 2022 and all bookings are made on a first come first served basis.
What are the benefits of living in University-managed halls as a mature or returning student?
Here in University-managed halls, we don't just provide accommodation, we provide an experience.
Residents benefit from:
- 24/7 Campus security and wellbeing support
- A dedicated on-call Halls Team 365 days a year
- Exclusive programme of free events, day trips, and giveaways
- Located either on campus or within just a few minutes walk
- Dedicated student receptions and maintenance teams
- Pay no deposit for your room, just two weeks' advance rent
- Cleaning of your communal areas (kitchens and bathroom) provided in selected halls.
- Fantastic range of accommodation to suit all budgets and requirements.
- All bills included (utilities, WiFi and contents insurance).
- We’re trusted landlords, with no admin fees or scary credit checks.
International and exchange students
International student accommodation
You can only apply for accommodation if you are holding a CF (conditional) or UF (unconditional) academic offer with the University of Plymouth.
International students are advised that it is not a requirement of a visa application to have pre-booked accommodation, only that you can afford the usual living costs for housing within our geographical area.
Exchange student accommodation
Whether you are joining us on exchange for a full academic year or for one term, you can book your room in our halls of residence via the accommodation portal.
We recommend that international and exchange students join our university-managed halls community for the following reasons:
- If you’re in University-managed accommodation you’ll benefit from fully-inclusive bills.
- You will have a Hall Team to support your experience of living in a new country.
- You can be part of our Residence Life community with an active social programme to help you meet new people and explore new places.
Students with disabilities and medical conditions
Learn more about what we can offerWe have a number of rooms which already have basic additional facilities installed and may be helpful for applicants with particular requirements.
Single-sex and alcohol free flats
We understand how important it is to feel comfortable and fully at home in your University accommodation which is why we offer the option to book a single-sex, alcohol free or single-sex and alcohol-free flat. Please ensure that you select your preferred option during the application process.
If you’re a care leaver we guarantee suitable, non-funded University accommodation to you for 365 days of the year, and for each year of your studies, if required. This includes access to our hall teams and Residence Life social programme during term time. All you need to do is tell us that you’re a care leaver when you apply for accommodation and we will liaise with the University’s Care Leavers’ Service.
If you require year-round accommodation, your contract can be extended. You don’t need to pick a more expensive room with a long contract, we can extend your existing contract to, for instance, cover the summer break (but this may not be in the same room or hall as you are in for the rest of the year). If you have any questions about this, please contact us.
Partner college students
If you are transferring from one of our partner colleges and would like to live in halls of residence please apply via the accommodation portal.
Students with families
All University accommodation is for single occupancy. If you intend to bring your family, you are advised to look at private rented accommodation in the city. Discover what private accommodation the city of Plymouth has to offer.
New for 2022, we are providing the option for applicants to choose a 'quiet' flat when applying for halls. We aim to allocate students together who consider themselves to have a ‘quieter lifestyle’. Please note, we can not guarantee a permanent quiet environment. Communal living will always involve some level of noise, including from outside the building or flat. However, by placing students requesting a quieter lifestyle together we hope to better meet the different expectations of our students. As this is a new feature for 2022 those that choose to live in a quiet flat may be asked to provide feedback on this living option throughout the year.
In line with our philosophy of providing a supportive environment, the University of Plymouth is committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of all of our students, including our under-18 students.
- Student Accommodation Services will ensure where possible that you are housed with other students of a similar age.
- The hall team will hold regular events to help you integrate into the residential community.
- agree that Student Accommodation Services and the University cannot assume parental responsibility for the under-18 resident
- advise your son/daughter that they may not enter licensed premises while they are under the age of 18
- advise your son/daughter that they may not hold office while they are under the age of 18
- guarantee to honour the accommodation contract for your son/daughter
Whilst Student Accommodation Services will make every effort to provide the best possible living environment for you, it is ultimately the responsibility of you and your parent(s)/guardian(s) to assess whether the accommodation on offer is suitable to your needs and whether its terms of occupancy are reasonable. We strongly recommend and will normally facilitate students under the age of 18 to book en suite and single sex accommodation.