Dr Yinghui Wei
Associate Professor of Statistics
School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
- Applied statistics
- Statistical methodology
- Clinical trials
- Observational studies
Email email@example.com to enquire.
- Associate Professor of Statistics
- School Lead for Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- Stage 1 Tutor for Mathematics and Statistics
- Statistics Seminar Organiser
- FHEA, Higher Education Academy, 2014
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice, University of Plymouth, UK, 2014
- PhD in Statistics, School of Mathematics, University of Manchester, UK, 2008
- MSc in Statistics (with Distinction), School of Mathematics, University of Manchester, UK, 2004
- BSc in Mathematics and Applied Mathematics, Northwest University, China, 2003
- Associate Professor of Statistics, University of Plymouth, UK, 2019 - Present
- Lecturer in Statistics, University of Plymouth, UK, 2013 - 2019
- Investigator Scientist, Medical Research Council, UK, 2009 - 2013
- Research Fellow (Welcome Trust), University of Nottingham, UK, 2008 - 2009
- Member of Cochrane Statistical Methods Group
- Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Roles on external bodies
- Statistical Editor, Cochrane Developmental Psychosocial Learning Problems Group
- Chair, Royal Statistical Society South West Local Group
- Level 4, Probability
- Level 6, Mathematical Statistics in Context
- Level 6, Medical Statistics
- SPSS short course, Doctoral College
- Level 7, Project design and development, guest lectures on statistics, School of Biomedical Sciences
Staff serving as external examiners
2019, External PhD Examiner, University of Liverpool.
My primary research interest is in developing statistical methodology and the substantive applications to medicine, clinical trials, observational studies and evidence synthesis. Specific areas include:
- Bayesian inference
- Clinical prediction models
- Evidence synthesis and meta-analysis (including multiple outcomes, multiple treatments and diagnostic tests meta-analysis)
- Modelling and analysis of infectious diseases (including Cowpox virus, healthcare-associated infection)
- Survival analysis
I have a software package in Stata: ipdfc
Wei Y. and Royston P. IPDFC: Stata module to reconstruct individual participant data from a published Kaplan-Meier curve (link)
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
- L. Sorrell: Statistical inference about bivariate semi-competing risk data using copulas (Director of Studies)
- J. Sethi: Graphene based biosensors for detection of blood biomarkers of Alzheimer's disease (co-supervisor)
- N. Thomas: Investigation of the effectiveness of an intervention to prevent oral disease in a highly vulnerable child population (co-supervisor)
- M. Howe: A probabilistic dental treatment risk index (co-supervisor)
- L. Zhang: Bayesian multi-level survival models (Director of Studies)
- S. Riley: Using big data to develop and validate clinical prediction models for survival outcomes following kidney transplant (Director of Studies)
Grants & contracts
Externally funded projects:
2021 London Mathematical Society: Women in Mathematics Day, Lead Applicant.
2020 – 2022 China Scholarship Council: Joint Training of Doctoral Students in Statistical Science with Yunnan University, Joint Supervisor.
2020 – 2024 University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust and EPSRC DTP funded PhD Studentship: "Using big data to develop and validate clinical prediction models for survival outcomes in kidney transplant", Project PI/Primary Supervisor.
2018 – 2020 GlaxoSmithKline: “An assessment of the sensitivity to change of a scale to measure quality of life in patients with severe asthma”. Co-I.
2018 – 2019 GlaxoSmithKline: “Further validation of a scale to measure quality of life in patients with severe asthma”. Co-I.
2016 – 2018 NIHR RfPB (PB-PG-0215-36117): “A systematic review of physical activity for alcohol and substance use disorders: evidence synthesis with stakeholder engagement to formulate practical recommendations”. Co-I.
Key publications are highlightedJournals
Reports & invited lectures
- Wei Y. (2019) "South West local group meeting: Network Time Series"
- Wei Y. (2019) “South West local group meeting: Modelling numbers of births”
- Wei Y. (2018) “South West local group meeting: Evidence synthesis in health”
- 2020: Invited talk, "The arts and techniques of online teaching for mathematics and statistics", Shanghai Polytechnic University
- 2019: Contributed talk, "Estimating the correlation between bivariate survival endpoints", Royal Statistical Society International Conference, Belfast.
- 2019: Invited talk, "Statistical Applications in Medical Sciences", INSPIRE Interdisciplinary Meeting, Plymouth.
- 2018: Invited talk, "Survival analysis of patients following kidney transplantation" (with Lexy Sorrell), South West Transplant Centre Annual Transplant Day, Totnes.
- 2018: Invited talk, "Survival analysis: from individual level data to aggregate data", Yunnan University, China.
- 2018: Invited talk, "Survival analysis: from individual level data to aggregate data", AUFE, China.
- 2017: Invited talk, "Restricted mean survival time: from individual level data to aggregate data", CMStatistics 2017, University of London, London.
- 2017: Session chair, "Recent Advances in Research Synthesis Methods", CMStatistics 2017, University of London, London.
- 2017: Contributed talk, "Using published Kaplan-Meier curves to reconstruct time-to-event data for secondary analyses", Royal Statistical Society International Conference, Glasgow.
- 2017: Contributed poster, "Hierarchical Bayesian models for road traffic accidents", Royal Statistical Society International Conference, Glasgow.
- 2016: Invited lecture, "Introduction to Design and Analysis of Clinical Trials", postgraduate summer school, University of Electronic Science and Technology of China, Chengdu.
- 2015: Invited seminar, "The use of restricted mean survival time in meta-analysis of clinical trials with time-to-event outcomes". University of Exeter, Exeter.
- 2014: Invited seminar, "Meta-analysis of survival data using restricted mean survival time", University of Essex, Colchester.
- 2013: Contributed talk, "Analysis of survival data from trials with non-proportional hazards". Clinical Trials Methodology Conference: Methodology Matters, Edinburgh.
- 2013: Contributed talk, "Network Meta-analysis", Methodology Theme Meeting, MRC Clinical Trials Unit, London.
- 2012: Contributed poster, "Bayesian multivariate meta-analysis with many outcomes", 33rd Annual Conference of International Society for Clinical Biostatistics, Bergen.
- 2011: Contributed talk, "Bayesian multivariate meta-analysis with many outcomes", Methods in Meta-analysis Meeting, Royal Statistical Society, London.
- 2010: Internal Seminar, "Multivariate meta-analysis with multiple outcomes", MRC Biostatistics Unit, Cambridge.
- 2010: Invited lecture, "Introduction to Meta-analysis", Shanghai Nottingham Systematic Review Course, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai.
- 2007: Poster presentation, "An epidemic model for discrete data in dynamic population", Manchester Research Student Conference in Statistics and Probability, University of Manchester.
- 2007: Contributed talk, "Statistical inference about epidemics in dynamic population", Research Student Conference in Statistics and Probability, Durham, UK.
2018: RSS South West Local Group Meeting Programme