Dr Yinghui Wei
Associate Professor of Statistics
School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
- Applied statistics
- Statistical methodology
- Clinical trials
- Observational studies
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire.
I am Associate Professor of Statistics in School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics at University of Plymouth, where I lead the MSc Health Data Science and Statistics programme, chair School Equality Diversity and Inclusion Committee, and co-lead the big data group. I led the School's successful Athena SWAN Bronze application in 2020, and led a cross-faculty team for the establishment of the new MSc Health Data Science and Statistics for September 2022 launch. I also hold an honorary/visiting appointment in Bristol Medical School at University of Bristol. I am an associated member of National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Applied Research Collaboration South West Peninsula (PenARC).
Prior to joining Plymouth, I was Investigator Scientist (Statistician) in MRC Clinical Trials Unit at UCL, Career Development Fellow in Biostatistics in MRC Biostatistics Unit at University of Cambridge, and Research Fellow in School of Mathematical Sciences, University of Nottingham. I completed my PhD and MSc in Statistics in 2008 and 2004, respectively, from the School of Mathematics, The University of Manchester.
My primary research interests include the development of statistical methodology and the substantive applications to medicine, clinical trials, observational studies and evidence synthesis, as well as using data to answer health-related research questions. I have supervised 4 PhD students towards successful completion, leading to publications in Journal of Applied Statistics, Biometrical Journal, and Carbon.
I led an impact case study "Improved health research and practice through advancing statistical methods and applications" for REF2021 UoA10 Mathematical Sciences. I am a Statistical Editor for a Cochrane review group. I sit on Royal Society's International Exchanges grant panel.
- PhD in Statistics, School of Mathematics, University of Manchester, UK, 2008
- MSc in Statistics (with Distinction), School of Mathematics, University of Manchester, UK, 2004
- BSc in Mathematics and Applied Mathematics, Northwest University, China, 2003
- Accredited Researcher, Office for National Statistics, 2021
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy, 2014
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice, University of Plymouth, UK, 2014
- Associate Professor of Statistics, University of Plymouth, UK, 2019 – Present
- Lecturer in Statistics, University of Plymouth, UK, 2013 – 2019
- Investigator Scientist, Medical Research Council, UK, 2009 – 2013
- Research Fellow (Welcome Trust), University of Nottingham, UK, 2008 – 2009
- Visiting Senior Research Fellow, Bristol Medical School, University of Bristol, 2021 – Present
- Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the London Mathematical Society
Roles on external bodies
- Member, Royal Society International Exchanges Panel (01/01/2023 – 31/12/2025)
- I regularly act as a peer reviewer for grant proposals for the UKRI Medical Research Council, and National Institute for Health Research
- Member, Statistical Advisory Board, WHO Individual Participant Data Meta-Analysis of Zika Virus Consortium as part of the research response to epidemics (2018 – Present)
- Statistical Editor, Cochrane Developmental Psychosocial Learning Problems Group (2015 – 2023; Associate Statistical Editor, 2011 – 2015)
- Member, Cochrane Statistical Methods Group (2011 – Present)
- Chair, Royal Statistical Society South West Local Group (2021 – Present; Secretary 2017 – 2020; Committee Member 2014 – 2016)
Staff serving as external examiners
2022 – , External Examiner, "MSc Data Science", "BSc Statistics", "BSc Data Science and Analytics", Department of Mathematical Sciences, University of Essex
2020, External PhD Examiner, Department of Mathematical Sciences, University of Essex
2019, External PhD Examiner, Department of Health Data Science, University of Liverpool
I recently hold an MRC fellowship grant to make use of big data from cohort studies and electronic health records within the Trusted Research Environments, such as the OpenSAFELY and UK Longitudinal Linkage Collaboration Secure e-Research Platform, to investigate COVID-19 epidemiology and its impact on public health.
My primary research interest is in developing statistical methodology and the substantive applications to medicine, clinical trials, observational studies and evidence synthesis. Specific areas include:
- Bayesian inference
- Clinical prediction models
- Evidence synthesis and meta-analysis (including multiple outcomes, multiple treatments and diagnostic tests meta-analysis)
- Modelling and analysis of infectious diseases epidemiology (including Cowpox virus, healthcare-associated infection, Zika virus and COVID-19)
- Survival analysis
I have a software package in Stata: ipdfc
Wei Y. and Royston P. IPDFC: Stata module to reconstruct individual participant data from a published Kaplan-Meier curve (link)
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
- M. Howe: A probabilistic dental treatment risk index (co-supervisor)
- L. Zhang: Bayesian multi-level survival models (Director of Studies)
- S. Riley: Using big data to develop and validate clinical prediction models for survival outcomes following kidney transplant (Director of Studies)
- K. Jagoda: Statistical methods in electronic health records research (Director of Studies)
- L. Ellaway: Enhancing Understanding of long COVID using novel mathematical clustering techniques (co-supervisor)
- M. Dogan: Biosensors for detection of Alzheimer disease biomarkers (co-supervisor)
- J. Li: Survival analysis (Overseas supervisor, Yunnan University)
- Y. Zhou: Spatial-temporal modelling (Overseas supervisor, Yunnan University)
Grants & contracts
Externally funded projects:
01/02/2023 – 31/01/2027, Horizon Europe Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions Doctoral Network / UKRI EPSRC, Peripheral Biomarker Based Combinatorial Early Diagnostics for Dementia (CombiDiag), €2.8M (£265, 251 to Plymouth). Coordinator / PI Stefan T, Pan G, Plymouth Co-I Wei Y, Sherriff I.
01/10/2022 – 31/03/2026, EPSRC DTP (2738361), "Enhancing Understanding of Long COVID Using Novel Mathematical Clustering Techniques", £79,506. Lead Applicant Broomhead N, Co-applicant Wei Y, Stander J and Pirashvili M.
01/09/2022 – 31/08/2024, NIHR (302739), "Risk factors for adverse health outcomes following kidney transplantation", £89,205. NIHR Pre-Doctoral Fellow Gray J; Primary Supervisor Wei Y, Co-Supervisor Tse W, Connor A.
01/08/2022 – 31/07/2023, EPSRC IAA, "Using data and analytical approaches to improve healthcare services for patient and public benefit", £5,000. PI Wei Y; Co-I Stander J, Broomhead N, Prime S, Asthana S.
01/04/2022– 1/10/2023, Royal Academy of Engineering Diversity Impact Programme, "Embedding Systemic Inclusion for Neurodiverse and Disabled Engineering Students", £93,667. PI Khan A, Co-I Craven M, Wei Y, Outram N, Besinis A, Lavelle M, Simmonds D.
1/10/2021 – 30/09/2022, MRC Fellowship (MR/W021358/1): "Using data to improve public health: COVID-19 secondment", £117,805, PI Wei Y. This fellowship is part of the COVID-19 Longitudinal Health and Wellbeing National Core Study (NCS) award, NCS PI Chaturvedi N, Sterne J.
03/2021, London Mathematical Society (WiM 20-21 04): Women in Mathematics Day, £1,600. Lead Applicant: Wei Y; Co-applicant: Broomhead N, Christopher C and Robertz D.
2020 – 2023, China Scholarship Council International Cooperative Program for Innovative Talents: Yunnan-Plymouth Joint Doctoral Training Programme in Statistical Science, PI Tang N; Plymouth PI Wei Y.
1/10/2020 – 30/09/2024, University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust (Ref: 1374) and EPSRC DTP (Ref: EP/T518153/1: 2432390): "Using big data to develop and validate clinical prediction models for survival outcomes in kidney transplant", £84,786 (with £34,000 from NHS). PI Wei Y, Co-I Connor A, TSE W, Rowe P, Tan K.
04/2019 – 12/2020, GlaxoSmithKline (Ref: 8894): “An assessment of the sensitivity to change of a scale to measure quality of life in patients with severe asthma”, awarded in 2018, £55,754. CI Masoli M, PI Jones R, Co-I Hyland M, Wei Y, Lanario J.
04/2019 – 04/2020, GlaxoSmithKline (Ref: 8893): “Further validation of a scale to measure quality of life in patients with severe asthma”, awarded in 2018, £44,503. CI Masoli M, PI Jones R, Co-I Hyland M, Wei Y, Lanario J.
07/2016 – 01/2018, NIHR RfPB (PB-PG-0215-36117): “A systematic review of physical activity for alcohol and substance use disorders: evidence synthesis with stakeholder engagement to formulate practical recommendations”, awarded in 2015, £154,528. PI Thompson T; Co-I Husk K, Nasser M, Kandiyali R, Wei Y, Wallace G, Taylor A, Neale J, Sinclair J, Creanor S.
Key publications are highlightedJournals
Reports & invited lectures
- Wei Y., Broomhead N., Christopher C. and Robertz D. (2021) "Report: LMS Women in Mathematics Day 2021", London Mathematical Society Newsletter, Issue 495, July 2021, 19-20.
- Wei Y. (2019) "South West local group meeting: Network Time Series".
- Wei Y. (2019) “South West local group meeting: Modelling numbers of births” .
- Wei Y. (2018) “South West local group meeting: Evidence synthesis in health” .
- 2022: Poster: "Risk factors for long COVID: big data analytics using OpenSAFELY", Royal Statistical Society International Conference, Aberdeen
- 2022: Contributed talk: "Bivariate copula regression models for semi-competing risks", Royal Statistical Society International Conference, Aberdeen
- 2022: Invited talk: "Using data to improve public health: COVID secondment - Overview of Experience", COVID-19 Longitudinal Health and Wellbeing National Core Study Workshop, UCL
- 2022: Invited talk: "Risk factors for long COVID", COVID-19 Longitudinal Health and Wellbeing National Core Study Workshop, UCL
- 2020: Invited talk, "The arts and techniques of online teaching for mathematics and statistics", Shanghai Polytechnic University
- 2019: Contributed talk, "Estimating the correlation between bivariate survival endpoints", Royal Statistical Society International Conference, Belfast
- 2019: Invited talk, "Statistical Applications in Medical Sciences", INSPIRE Interdisciplinary Meeting, Plymouth.
- 2018: Invited talk, "Survival analysis of patients following kidney transplantation" (with Lexy Sorrell), South West Transplant Centre Annual Transplant Day, Totnes.
- 2018: Invited talk, "Survival analysis: from individual level data to aggregate data", Yunnan University, China.
- 2018: Invited talk, "Survival analysis: from individual level data to aggregate data", AUFE, China.
- 2017: Invited talk, "Restricted mean survival time: from individual level data to aggregate data", CMStatistics 2017, University of London, London.
- 2017: Session chair, "Recent Advances in Research Synthesis Methods", CMStatistics 2017, University of London, London.
- 2017: Contributed talk, "Using published Kaplan-Meier curves to reconstruct time-to-event data for secondary analyses", Royal Statistical Society International Conference, Glasgow.
- 2017: Contributed poster, "Hierarchical Bayesian models for road traffic accidents", Royal Statistical Society International Conference, Glasgow.
- 2016: Invited lecture, "Introduction to Design and Analysis of Clinical Trials", postgraduate summer school, University of Electronic Science and Technology of China, Chengdu.
- 2015: Invited seminar, "The use of restricted mean survival time in meta-analysis of clinical trials with time-to-event outcomes". University of Exeter, Exeter.
- 2014: Invited seminar, "Meta-analysis of survival data using restricted mean survival time", University of Essex, Colchester.
- 2013: Contributed talk, "Analysis of survival data from trials with non-proportional hazards". Clinical Trials Methodology Conference: Methodology Matters, Edinburgh.
- 2013: Contributed talk, "Network Meta-analysis", Methodology Theme Meeting, MRC Clinical Trials Unit, London.
- 2012: Contributed poster, "Bayesian multivariate meta-analysis with many outcomes", 33rd Annual Conference of International Society for Clinical Biostatistics, Bergen.
- 2011: Contributed talk, "Bayesian multivariate meta-analysis with many outcomes", Methods in Meta-analysis Meeting, Royal Statistical Society, London.
- 2010: Internal Seminar, "Multivariate meta-analysis with multiple outcomes", MRC Biostatistics Unit, Cambridge.
- 2010: Invited lecture, "Introduction to Meta-analysis", Shanghai Nottingham Systematic Review Course, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai.
- 2007: Poster presentation, "An epidemic model for discrete data in dynamic population", Manchester Research Student Conference in Statistics and Probability, University of Manchester.
- 2007: Contributed talk, "Statistical inference about epidemics in dynamic population", Research Student Conference in Statistics and Probability, Durham, UK.