Professor Victoria Allgar
Professor of Medical Statistics and Director of PenCTU
Peninsula Medical School (Faculty of Health)
- Health services
- Bayesian statistics
- Before-and-after studies
- Big Data
- Case–control studies
- Clinical trials
- Cohort studies
- Correlation study
- Cross-sectional studies
Email email@example.com to enquire.
Professor of Medical Statistics - Head of Medical Statistics Group and Director of the Peninsula Clinical Trial Unit (PenCTU).
As Director of PenCTU, I have responsibility for the management and strategic direction of PenCTU. I take primary responsibility for the programme of independent, externally funded clinical trials and related research projects. I ensure that all trials in PenCTU are conducted according to appropriate regulatory, scientifically rigorous and evidence-based standards. I co-ordinate research activities of the Medical Statistics Group. I act as senior statistician on projects, contributing to setting the research agenda and leading the statistical and methodological elements, developing and managing staff and attracting sustained and major funding through bids and reputation.
I work collaboratively with academics, clinicians and other health services researchers providing statistical expertise and leadership. My work focuses on bringing together the knowledge of a range of experts from different specialisations to help identify and answer key research questions. I support the development and delivery of clinical and applied health and social care research. I have significant experience of leading contributions to the planning and design, conduct, statistical analysis and reporting of clinical trials, and other well designed studies.
PenCTU supports the development and delivery of clinical and applied health and care research, offering a range of services, from pre-application methodological support to full study delivery.
• BSc(hons) in Statistics 2(i), University of Newcastle upon Tyne
• PhD, University of Newcastle upon Tyne
• Royal Statistical Society – Fellow / Chartered Statistician (1999-date)
• Science Council (2012) – Chartered Scientist (2012-2020)
• Senior Fellowship of HEA (SFHEA) (2020)
• Professor of Medical Statistics and Director of PenCTU, University of Plymouth (2021-date)
• Professor of Medical Statistics/Reader in Medical Statistics/Senior Lecturer in Medical Statistics, Hull York Medical School/Department of Health Sciences, University of York (2006-2020)
• Director of Yorkshire Primary Care Research Network (YReN) , Centre for Research in Primary Care, University of Leeds (2005 – 2006)
• Senior Research Fellow, Centre for Research in Primary Care, University of Leeds (2001-2006).
• Research Fellow, Centre for Research in Primary Care, University of Leeds (2000-2001).
• Medical Statistician, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, Leeds (1997-2000).
• Research Associate, Department of Primary Health Care, University of Newcastle (1995-1997).
• Lecturer, Faculty of Health, Education and Social Work, Northumbria University (1995-1996).
Roles on external bodies
- Associate Editor for Trials (April 2019-date)
- Statistical Editor of Health & Social Care in the Community (2016-date)
- Editorial board member for BMJ Open
- Statistical Advisory Board member for BMJ Open
- NIHR Efficacy and Mechanism Evaluation (EME) funding Committee (2021-date)
- Investigator Initiated Clinical Trials programme - Swiss National Science Foundation (2022-date)
- Grant Review Panel for the Multiple Sclerosis Society (2015-date)
- Vice Chair of Catalyst Awards for Multiple Sclerosis Society (2022-Date)
- Swiss National Science Foundation / IICT evaluation panel (2022-date)
- Member of the Royal Society’s International Exchanges Panel (2023-date)
- Health Services Research Initiative Panel for Arthritis UK (2016-2021)
- Cochrane Member (2019-date)
- Chair and member of numerous Trial Steering Committees (TSCs) and Data Monitoring Committees (DMCs)
Key publications are highlightedJournals