Dr Vasyl Vlasenko
Associate Professor in Shelf Seas Numerical Modelling
School of Biological and Marine Sciences (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
Member: Committee of Investigation of Academic Dishonesty
2005: Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (LTHE, the University of Plymouth)
2000: Doctor of Science in Physics and Mathematics
1987: PhD in Physics and Mathematics, Marine Hydrophysical Institute (Ukraine)
1980: MSc in Physics, Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology (State University, Russia)
Member of the European Geosciences Union
Member of the International Commission on Investigations of the Mediterranean, CIESM
Member of the American Geosciences Union
Roles on external bodies
Member of the Peer Review College of the Natural Environment Research Council (2007-2011)
Editor of the AGU/EGU journal "Nonlinear Process in Geophysics"
Members of the Editorial Board of the book series "Advances in Geophysical and Environmental Mechanics and Mathematics", Springer Verlag
Invited reviewer for the National Science Foundation (NSF, USA)
Invited reviewer for the National Science Environmental Research Council (NSERC, Canada)
Referee for leading oceanographic journals (about 20 articles a year)
Physical oceanography (Modules OS001, OS101, OS104, OS315 - Module leader)
Research skills (Modules OS206, OS301 - Module leader)
Numerical modelling (Modules OS315, MAR519 - Module leader)
Staff serving as external examiners
External examiner for PhD research students:
- University of Cadiz (Spain), 2006
- University of Granada (Spain), 2009
- Internal gravity waves: Analytical and numerical methods with emphasis on the role of bottom topography.
- Coastal ocean dynamics: Numerical modelling of wind-driven circulation in shelf-slope areas, field observations and comparison analysis of theoretical and in-situ data.
- Baroclinic tides: Analytical and numerical modelling of their generation, evolution and dissipation in regions of oceanic ridges and continental slopes.
- Flow-topography interaction: Numerical modelling of nonlinear interaction of oscillating tidal currents with bottom topography.
- Large amplitude internal solitary waves: Numerical and analytical modelling of their structure and dynamics including wave breaking and water mixing.
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
Completed PhD projects:
- Dr Agueda Vazquez Lopez-Escolar (University of Cadiz, Spain)
- Dr Jose Carlos Sanchez Garrido (University of Malaga, Spain)
- Dr Robert McEvan (Director of study)
- Dr Chuncheng Guo (Director of study)
- Dr Edward Steele (Second Advisor)
Current PhD students:
- Miss Anastasiya Domina (Liverpool University, Second Advisor)
Grants & contracts
Principal Investigator on:
- NERC Grant NE/K013262/1 CONNECTIVITY "Influence of population connectivity on depth-dependent divesity of deep-sea benthic biota" (£574000, 2015-2019) (Co-Investigator)
- NERC Grant NE/I030232/1 FASTNEt "Fluxes accross the sloping topography" (£595000, 2011-2015)
- China Science Council PhD Studentship "Investigation of baroclinic tides in the South China Sea" (£42750, 2010-2013)
- Three consultancy projects for FUGRO in 2010 (£5000), 2011 (£5000), and 2012 (£16000)
- Royal Society travel grant 2009/R4 ID: TG092325 (£1500, 2009)
- University of Plymouth Studentship "Hydrodynamical and biogeoghemical processes controlling cross-shelf transport in the area of large scale river plume" (£ 25000, 2009-2012)
- NERC Grant NE/F012403/1 "Modelling of the Wyville Thomson Ridge overflow" (£171000, 2008-2011)
- NERC GrantNE/E010214/1 "Nontraditional baroclinic wave effects in the Strait of Gibraltar" (£58000, 2008-2009)
- NERC Grant NE/E01030X/1 "A new mechanism for generation of internal waves" (£58500, 2007-2008)
- NERC Grant NE/D007968/1 "Boiling water in the Strait of Gibraltar" (£57600, 2006-2007)
- EU INTAS Grant Nr 03-51-3728 "Strongly nonlinear internal waves in lakes: generation, transformation and meromixis. (240000 Euro, 2004-2007)
- NERC Grant NEC50747X/1 "Stratified flow in jet-type estuaries and fjords" (£49400, 2004-2006)
Vlasenko V., and N. Stashchuk, M. (2018) Tidally induces overflow of the Faroese Channels bottom water over the Wyville Thomson Ridge. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, (accepted).
Stashchuk N., V. Vlasenko, K.Howell (2018) Modelling tidally induced larval dispersion over Anton Dohrn Seamount. Ocean Dynamics, 1-12, doi.org/10.1007/s10236-018-1206-0.
Vlasenko V., N. Stashchuk, M. and WAM Nimmo-Smith (2018) Three-dimensional dynamics of baroclinic tides over a seamount.Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 132(2), 1263-1285, doi: 10.1002/2017JC013287.
Gallego, A, R. O’Hara Murray, B. Berx, B. Turrell, M. Inall, T. Sherwin, J. Siddorn, S. Wakelin, V. Vlasenko, L. R. Hole, K Dagestad, J. Rees, L. Short, P. Rønningen, C. Main, CJ Beegle-Krause, S. Legrand, T. Gutierrez, U. Witte, and N. Mulanaphy (2018) Deep water oil spill modelling status and challenges in the Faroe-Shetland Channel, North Atlantic. Marine pollution bulletin, 127, 484-504, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2017.12.002
Rippeth, T.P., V. Vlasenko, N. Stashchuk, B.D. Scannell, J.A.M.Green, B.J. Lincoln, S. Bacon (2017) Tidal conversion and mixing poleward of the critical latitude (an Arctic case study). Geophysical Research Letters, 44(24), DOI: 10.1002/2017GL075310.
Stashchuk N., V. Vlasenko, P. Hosegood, A. Nimmo-Smith (2017) Tidally induced residual current over the Malin Sea continental slope. Continental Shelf Research I, 139, 21-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csr.2017.03.010
Stashchuk N., V. Vlasenko (2017) Bottom trapped internal waves over the Malin Sea continental slope. Deep-Sea Research I, 119, 68-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dsr.2016.11.007
Vlasenko V., N. Stashchuk, M. Inall, M. Porter, and A. Aleynik (2016) Focusing of baroclinic tidal energy in a canyon. Journal of Geophysical Research, 121(4), 2824-2840, doi: 10.1002/2015JC011314.
Vlasenko V. and N. Stashchuk (2015) Internal tides near the Celtic Sea shelf break: A new look at a well-known problem. Deep-Sea Research I, V103, 24-36, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.dsr.201505.003. doi:10.1016/j.dsr.2015.05.003
Stashchuk N., V. Vlasenko, M.Inall, and D. Aleynik (2014) Horizontal dispersion in shelf seas: high resolution modelling as an aid to sparse sampling. Progress in Oceanography, V128, 74-87.
Vlasenko V., N. Stashchuk, M.Inall, and J.Hopkins (2014) Tidal energy conversion in a global hot spot: on the 3D dynamics of baroclinic tides at the Celtic Sea shelf break. Journal of Geophysical Research, V119, DOI:10.100 2/2013/C009708.
Grimshaw, R., K. Helfrich, C. Guo, and V. Vlasenko (2014) Combined effect of rotation and topography on shoaling of internal solitary waves. Journal of Physical Oceanography, V44, 1116-1132, DOI: 10.1175/JPO-D-13-0194.1.
Cuthbertson, A., P.A Davies, N. Stashchuk, and V.Vlasenko (2014) Model studies of dense water overflows in the Faroese Channels. Ocean Dynamics. V64, 273-292, DOI: 10.1007/s10236-013-0685-2.
Vlasenko, V., N.Stashchuk, M.Inall, and M.C.Palmer (2013) Generation of baroclinic tides over an isolated underwater bank.Journal of Geophysical Research, 118, 1-14, DOI: 10.1002/jgrc.2034
Vlasenko, V., N. Stashchuk, and R. McEwan (2013) High-resolution modelling of a large-scale river plume. Ocean Dynamics, 63(11-12), 1307-1320, DOI: 10.1007/s10236-013-0653.
Guo, C., V. Vlasenko, W. Alpers, N. Stashchuk, and X. Chen (2012) Evidence of short internal waves trailing internal solitary waves in the northern South China Sea from synthetic aperture radar observations. Remote Sensing of Environment, 124, 542-550.
Vlasenko, V., C. Guo, and N. Stashchuk (2012) On the mechanism of A-type and B-type internal solitary wave generation in the northern South China Sea. Deep-Sea Research I, 69, 100-112, doi:10.1016/j.dsr.2012.06.001.
C. Guo, X. Chen, V. Vlasenko, and N. Stashchuk (2011) Numerical investigation of internal solitary waves from the Luzon Strait: generation process, mechanism and three-dimensional effects. Ocean Modelling, 38, 203-216.
N. Stashchuk, V. Vlasenko, and T.J. Sherwin (2011) Numerical investigation of deep water circulation in the Faroese Channels.Deep-Sea Research I, 58, 787-799.
Vlasenko, V., N. Stashchuk, C. Guo, and X. Chen (2010) Multimodal structure of baroclinic tides in the South China Sea.Nonlinear Process in Geophysics, 17, 529-543.
N. Stashchuk, V. Vlasenko, and T.J., Sherwin (2010) Insights into the structure of the Wyville Thomson Ridge overflow current from a fine-scale numerical model. Deep-Sea Research I, 57, 1153-1162.
Sanchez Garrido, C., and V. Vlasenko (2009) Long-term evolution of strongly nonlinear internal solitary waves in a rotating channel. Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics, 16, 587-589.
Vlasenko V., .C. Sanchez Garrido, N. Stashchuk, J.G. Lafuente and M. Losada (2009) Three-dimensional evolution of large-amplitude internal waves in the Strait of Gibraltar. Journal of Physical Oceanography, 39(9), 2230-2246.
Stashchuk, N., and V. Vlasenko (2009). Generation of internal waves by a supercritical stratified plume. Journal of Geophysical Research, V114, C01008.
Vlasenko, V., and N. Stashchuk (2007). Three-dimensional shoaling of large-amplitude internal waves. Journal of Geophysical Research, V112, C11018, doi: 10.1029/2007JC004107.
Stashchuk, N., and V. Vlasenko (2007). Numerical modelling of stratified tidal flow over a fjord sill. Ocean Dynamics, V57, 325-338, doi: 10.1007/s10236-007-0112-7.
Stashchuk N., M. Inall, and V. Vlasenko (2007). Analysis of supercritical stratified tidal flow in a Scottish fjord. Journal of Physical Oceanography, 37(7), 1793-1810.
Vlasenko V.and N. Stashchuk (2006). Amplification and suppression of internal waves by tides over variable bottom topography.Journal of Physical Oceanography, 36(10), 1959-1973.
A. Vazquez, N. Stashchuk, V. Vlasenko, M. Bruno, A. Izquierdo, P. C. Gallacher (2006). Evidence of multimodal structure of the baroclinic tide in the Strait of Gibraltar. Geophysical Research Letters. V33, N17, L17605, doi: 10.1029/2006GL026806.
Stashchuk N., V. Vlasenko and K. Hutter (2005). Numerical modelling of the disintegration of basin-scale internal waves in a tank filled with stratified water. Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics, 12, 955-964.
Stashchuk, N., and V. Vlasenko (2005). Topographic generation of internal waves by nonlinear superposition of tidal harmonics. Deep-Sea Research I, 52, 605-620.
Vlasenko V., L. Ostrovsky, and K. Hutter (2005). Adiabatic behavior of strongly nonlinear internal solitary waves in slope-shelf areas. Journal of Geophysical Research, 110(C4), C04006.
Vlasenko V., and W. Alpers (2005). Generation of secondary internal waves by the interaction of an internal solitary wave with an underwater bank. Journal of Geophysical Research, 110(C2), C02019.
Stashchuk, N., and V. Vlasenko (2005). Topographic generation of internal waves by nonlinear superposition of tidal harmonics.Deep-Sea Research I, 52, 605-620.
Vlasenko, V., N. Stashchuk, and K. Hutter (2003). Baroclinic tides: mathematical aspects of their modeling. Transworld Research Network: Recent Development in Physics, 2, 61-96.
Vlasenko V., N. Stashchuk, and K. Hutter (2003). Nonlinear internal waves forced by tides near the critical latitude. Deep-Sea Research I, 50, 317-338.
Sherwin T.J., V.Vlasenko, N. Stashchuk, D.R. Gus Jeans, and B. Jones (2002). Along-slope generation as an explanation for some unusually large internal tides. Deep-Sea Research I, 49, 1787-1799.
Morozov E.G., K. Trulsen, M.G. Velarde, and V.Vlasenko (2002). Internal tides in the Strait of Gibraltar. Journal of Physical Oceanography, 32(11), 3193-3206.
Vlasenko V., and K. Hutter (2002). Numerical experiments on the breaking of solitary internal waves over a slope-shelf topography.Journal of Physical Oceanography, 32(6), 1779-1793.
Vlasenko V., N. Stashchuk, and K. Hutter (2002). Water exchange in fjords induced by tidally generated internal lee waves.Dynamics of Atmosphere and Oceans, 35, 63-89.
Vlasenko V., and K. Hutter (2002). Transformation and disintegration of strongly nonlinear internal waves by topography in stratified lakes. Annales Geophysicae, 20, 2087-2103.
Vlasenko V.I., N.M. Stashchuk , V.I. Ivanov, A.S. Romanov, and Yu.N. Vnukov (2002). A study of the influence of coastal upwelling on the dynamics of oxygen and hydrogen sulfate in the shelf region of the Black Sea. Oceanology, 42(3), 1-8.
Vlasenko V.I., and K. Hutter (2001). Generation of second mode solitary waves by the interaction first mode soliton with the sill.Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics, 8(4/5), 223-240.
Vlasenko, V., P. Brandt, and A. Rubino (2000). On the structure of large-amplitude internal solitary waves. Journal of Physical Oceanography, 30, 2172-2185.
Vlasenko, V.I. (2000). The peculiarities of nonlinear generation of internal tides over steep bottom topography. Morskoy Gigrofizicheskij Zhurnal, 11(2), 26-37.
Morozov E.G., V.I. Vlasenko, T.A. Demidova, and V.V. Lednev (1999). Tidal internal wave propagation over large distance in the Indian ocean. Oceanology, 39(1), 42-46.
Stashchuk N.M., and V.I. Vlasenko (1998). Influence of the coastal upwelling on the dynamics of the upper boundary of the hydrogen sulfide zone off the Southern Crimea. Oceanology, 38(6), 766-773.
Vlasenko V.I., V.A. Ivanov, I.A. Krasin, and A.D. Lisichenok (1998). The generation of intensive short-period internal waves in the frontal zone of a coastal upwelling. Physical Oceanography, 9(3), 155-168.
Vlasenko, V., N. Stashchuk, and K. Hutter (2005) Baroclinic Tides: Theoretical Modelling and Observational Evidence. Cambridge University Press, 372 pp.
Bukatov, A.E., V.I., Vlasenko, L.D. Puhtiyar, V.V. Fomin, and L.V. Cherkesov (1998). Dynamics of surface and internal waves. Kiev: Naukova dumka, 192 pp.
Cherkesov, L.V., V.I. Vlasenko, N.M. Stashchuk, A.M. Suvorov, and V.V. Fomin (1992). Hydrodynamics of sea waves. Kiev: Naukova Dumka, 164pp.
Bukatov, A.E., V.I. Vlasenko, A.M. Suvorov, N.M. Stashchuk, V.V. Fomin V.V., and L.V. Cherkesov (1989). Hydrodynamics of surface and internal waves in the ocean. Kiev: Naukova dumka, 144pp.
Filonov, N., A. Terzhevik, R.Zdorovennov, V.Vlasenko, N.Stashchuk, and K.Hutter (2012) Field studies of non-linear internal waves in lakes of the globe. In: Nonlinear internal waves in lakes” (Ed. K.Hutter), Springer, 23-104.
Eremeev V.N., N.M. Stashchuk, V.I. Vlasenko, V.A. Ivanov and O. Uslu (1999) Some Aspects of the Water Exchange through the Dardanelles Strait. In: The East Mediterranean as a Laboratory Basin for the Assessment of Contrasting Ecosystem, Kluwer Acad. Publ.: 301-312. Editors P Malanotte-Rizzoli, VN Eremeev .
Vlasenko V.I., N.M. Stashchuk, V.A. Ivanov, E.G. Nikolaenko, O. Uslu, and H. Benli (1996) influence of the water exchange through the Dardanelles on the thermohaline structure of the Aegean Sea. In: Bulletin de l'Institut oceanographie, Monaco, n 17 (CIESM Science Series n 2): 147-165.
Reports & invited lectures
- Fine-resolution modelling of baroclinic tides. Invited talk at the workshop "The Science of deep-water oil spills", Aberdeen, 18-19 September 2013.
- Baroclinic tides of the Celtic Sea: Observarions and modelling. Invited lecture to National Oceanography Centre, Liverpool, 2 October 2013.
- Baroclinic tides over an isolated underwater bank. Invited talk at "Fluxesw and Structures in Fluids", 25-28 June 2013, Saint-Petersburg, Russia.
- Modelling of baroclinic tides over an isolated underwater bank. Invited talk at 5-th International workshop on modelling the ocean, 17-20 June. 2013, Bergen, Norway.
- 3D numerical simulations of the baroclinic tides in the Celtic Sea. Invited talk at JONSMOD-2012 conference, 21-23 May 2012, IFREMER, Brest, France.
- Investigation into deep-water circulation in the Faroese Channels. Invited talk at 2nd Marine Institute research centre conference, Plymouth, 5 May 2011.
- Long-term evolution of strongly nonlinear internal solitary waves in rotating channel. The Second International Conference: Nonlinear Waves - Theory and Applications. 25-30 June 2010, Beijeng, China
- Insights into the structure of the Wyville Thompson Ridge overflow. Jonsmod 2010, 10-12 May 2010, Delft, the Netherlands.
- Wave dynamics of a supercritical river plume. (Invited) 2010 Ocean Science Meeting. 22-26 February 2010, Portland, Oregon, USA.
- Modelling of variability of the Wyville Thompson Ridge overflow. Annual Science Meeting (ASM), June 1-3, 2009 Liverpool, UK.
- Modeling of the Wyville Thomson. Ridge Overflow. American Geophysical Uninon (AGU) Joint Assembly, May 24-27, 2009, Toronto, Canada.
- Dynamics of large-amplitude internal waves in the Strait of Gibraltar: observational evidence and theoretical modelling. Jonsmod 2008, 23-25 June 2008, Bergen Norway.
- Amplification and suppression of internal waves in horizontally sheared currents. Workshop: Large Amplitude Internal Waves, December 1-4 2008, Edinburgh, UK
- Three-dimensional evolution of large-amplitude internal waves in the Strait of Gibraltar. International conference: Nonlinear Waves Theory and Applications June 9-12, 2008 Tsinghua University, Beijing, China.
- Three-dimensional effects in evolution of large-amplitude internal waves. Workshop “Stratified Flow over Topography”, 13-14 September 2007, Oban, Scotland.
- Non-traditional effects of wave-flow-topography interaction in straits. (Invited). IUGG XXIV General Assembly, 2-13 July, 2007, Perugia, Italy.
- Three-dimensional dynamics of shoaling and breaking oceanic internal waves. Workshop: Physical Processes in Natural Waters (PPNW), 3-6 September 2007, Warnemuende, Germany.
- Analysis of supercritical stratified flow in a Scottish fjord. Workshop: Joint Numerical Sea Modelling Group (JONSMOD), 26-28 June 2006, Plymouth, UK.
- Dynamics of jet-type fjordic system: observations and theoretical modelling. General Assembly of the European Geophysical Union, 4-9 April 2006, Vienna, Austria.
- Member of the Organise Committee of the 5-th International workshop on modelling the ocean, 17-20 June. 2013, Bergen, Norway.
- Organisation of two national conferences for young scientist in the Former Soviet Union (in 1988 and 1989, Sevastopol, Ukraine).
Other academic activities
- Scientific Manager of the National Programme “Wave” (f1984-1991) which included 26 academic institutions of the Former Soviet Union
- Principal Investigator of the Programme “Coastal Zone” of the National Academy of Sciences of the Ukraine (1993-1999) which included 9 institutions
- Management of 4 long-term (1-3 months) oceanographic expeditions to the Black Sea and to the Mediterranean Sea (Chief Scientist, Deputy Chief Scientist, Head of Unit)