Dr Tanya Ovenden-Hope
Visiting Research Fellow
Plymouth Institute of Education (Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Business)
ASSOCIATE DEAN (INNOVATION)
Doctorate in Education
MA in Education
BA Hons Sociology
Certificate in Education
QTS (11-18 Sociology and History)
Head of Higher Education (Truro College)
Programme Team Leader Education (Truro College)
Higher Education Development Leader (Truro College)
Deputy Team Leader Humanities (Truro College)
Lecturer in Education (Truro College)
Deputy Director of Sixth From (Wheatley Park School)
Head of Sociology (Wheatley Park School)
Associate Lecturer Education (Oxford Brookes University)
Lecturer in Sociology (Penwith College)
Equal Opportunities Co-ordinator (Penwith College)
Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (PFHEA)
Fellow of the Inistitute for Learning (FIfL)
General Teaching Council (England) (GTC(E)
British Educational Research Association (BERA)
Roles on external bodies
OfSTED Additional Inspector (Further Education Initial Teacher Training)
QAA Reviewer (IQER)
TDA/FdF Endorsement Consultant
Innovation, creativity and enterprise as transferable skills - PBL, CPs and mindset in ITE
Staff serving as external examiners
External Examiner for the University of Bath PGCE Secondary (SCITT)
- Comparative analysis of national challenge schools converted to academies in coastal regions and school performance
- Class of 2010 - longitudinal study of a new coastal academy from implementation to first full cohort leaving at 18 years of age.
- Enterprise Education - embedding ICE (Innovation, Creativity and Enterprise) in teacher education for enhancing learners transferable skills.
- Professional convergence in teacher education - potential for a universal teaching qualification in England
- Tanslational research and knowledge mobilisation - the impact of on line evidence based resources (MESH guides) for curriculum planning and development in primary school teaching. www.meshguides.org
- Evaluation of teacher educator professional development and 'qualifications'
Post-compulsory teacher education
- Effectiveness of outcomes in observing teaching practice (DFES)
Secondary teacher education
- M Level outcomes in ITT PGCE
- Attitudes of the BME population in Plymouth towards teaching as a profession
- Student particpation, retention and achievement at Advanced Level
- the impact of financial incentives/rewards (EMA)
Higher Education in Further Education Colleges
- compulsory education students' perception of HE in FECs (teachers, parents, employers - social attitudinal)
- the role of the HE leader of HE in FECs
- staff development for teaching 14-19
Grants & contracts
- DfES Standards Unit ITT Research Project grant (Project Manager)
- FEDA research grant (individual research in education achievement and student funding)
- Peninsula CETT research award (FETT development team research)
- HELP CETL individual research (CPD) award
- HELP CETL student facing services grant (Project Manager)
- ESF Funded Ice House Project in collaboration with Cornwall College
- TDA funded RRCG for investigation into local BME populations and attitudes towards ITT
- TDA Strand 2 14-19 enhancement funding
- LSIS consultancy awarded to School of Secondary and Further Education Studies
- TDA South West provider for i-Teach (PGCE Secondary Maths, Physics and Chemistry through e-engaged learning)
- DCSF/LSC FE Teacher Training through e-engaged learning lead HEI and CETT
- PhD in Education
- Professional Theory and Practice
Selected Publications and Conferences Books (co-authored)
1. Kirby, M., Kidd, W., Koubel, F., Barter, J., Hope, T., Kirton, A., Madry, N., Manning, P. and Triggs, K. (1997) Sociology in Perspective, Oxford, Heinemann.
2. Kidd, W., Kirby, M., Koubel, F., Barter, J., Hope, T., Kirton, A., Madry, N., Manning, P. and Triggs, K. (1998) A Readings in Sociology, Oxford, Heinemann.
3. Marsh, I (Ed.) (1999) Sociology: Dealing with Data, Essex, Longman. (Co-author)
4. Hope, T., Griffiths, J and Best, S. (2000) Active Sociology, Essex, Pearson.
5. Kirby, M., Kidd, W., Koubel, F., Barter, J., Hope, T., Kirton, A., Madry, N., Manning, P. and Triggs, K. (2000) Sociology in Perspective AQA Version (2nd Edition), Oxford, Heinemann.
6. Kirby, M., Kidd, W., Koubel, F., Barter, J., Hope, T., Kirton, A., Madry, N., Manning, P. and Triggs, K. (2000) Sociology in Perspective OCR Version (2nd Edition), Oxford, Heinemann.
7. Griffiths, J. and Hope, T. (2000) Access to Sociology: Stratification and Differentiation, London, Hodder and Stoughton.
Books (single author)
1. Ovenden-Hope, T (2016) Applied Learning. London, Routledge. (to be published)
Books (edited and co-authored)
1. Hope, T., Kidd, W., Kirby, M. and Barter, J. (2000) Sociology in Perspective Teachers’ File AQA Version, Oxford, Heinemann.
2. Hope, T., Kidd, W., Kirby, M. and Barter, J. (2000) Sociology in Perspective Teachers’ File OCR Version, Oxford, Heinemann.
1. Hope, T. (1997) ‘A Question of Underachievement? Boys and Secondary Education’. Social Science Teacher’,Vol.26, No.3 pp10-14.
2. Hope, T. (2005) ‘Building Success in Post-Compulsory Education: The Effectiveness of the Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)’.Social Science Teacher, Vol. 34, No.3, pp 6-9.
3. Ovenden-Hope, T (2011) ‘A Universal Teaching Qualification: Challenges and opportunities for professional convergence in teaching in England’, Research Intelligence, British Educational Research Association, Issue 116 pp. 22-23
4. Phippen, A., Wright. D. and Ovenden-Hope, T. (2012) ‘Are schools equipped to address online safety in the curriculum and beyond?’ eLearning Papers, Volume 28. www.elearningpapers.eu
5. Exley, S and Ovenden-Hope, T. (2013) ‘Preparing a Pathway of Professional Development for Teacher Educators in the Lifelong Learning Sector’. TeacherEducation Network Journal (TEAN), 5 (2). pp. 4-18.
Funded Research Papers
1. Hope, T. (2000) Remuneration, recruitment, retention: The Educational Maintenance Allowance as an incentive to Learn. London, Further Education Development Agency. (Research grant, £5k)
2. Hope, T., Husk, M., Dixon, T. and Camps, C. (2006) An Evaluation of the Effectiveness of Teaching Observation Models in ITT (PCET) DfES (Project Manager and bid writer – research and impact grant £50k)
3. Arreckx, F., Kiellor, W. and Ovenden-Hope, T. (2010) ‘Pupil Ill Discipline and Lack of Respect for Teachers is Dissuading Young People from Choosing Teaching as a Career’ Manchester, TDA. (£20k)
Reports & invited lectures
- University of Plymouth Colleges (UPC) Summer Conference
- Oxfordshire Local Education Authority Sociology Conference
- Faculty of Education Teacher Training Staff Development
- BERA symposium
- Teacher Education Advancement Network Masters Level in ITT seminar (UWE)
- Skills Commission Inquiry Report on Teacher Training in Vocational Education