Ms Sophie Westwood
Social Prescribing Research Assistant
Peninsula Medical School (Faculty of Health)
As a research assistant and consultant I have worked on a number of projects ultimately concerned with reducing health inequalities, which often includes reducing environmental inequalities at the same time. I have experience working for an environmental non-governmental organisation abroad and as a primary school teacher and childminder in the UK. I bring knowledge of the third sector, mixed methods research and education, with a particular interest in children and young people as a demographic cohort, to my work.
- MSc Anthropology and Ecology of Development - 2004
- PGCE Early Years Teaching Qualification - 2006
- BA (Hons) Social Anthropology with Devleopment Studies - 2003
- reducing inequalities
- peripheral communities
- social prescribing
- complex systems
- participatory methods
- children and young people as a cohort
- pedagogy as a public health issue
- access to quality greenspaces
I am currently working on a project capturing the voice of people who access weight management services, and those who are unable to, or choose not to, in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. To find out more and even particpate in this study, follow this link.
Grants & contracts
- 2022 £1,917 Arts-Health Collaboration Fund 2022-3. (coapplicant) The SENaid project:co-designing sensory therapeutic aids for children with special education needs.
- 2020 Shortlisted for SWDTP ESRC 1+3 studentship.
Whalley, S., Aitken, P. and Lee, W. (2020) Report of the 5th Survey of Liaison Psychiatry in England (LPSE-5). NHS England.
Whalley, S., Aitken, P. and Lee, W. (2019) Report of the 4th Survey of Liaison Psychiatry in England (LPSE-4). NHS England.
Whalley, S. & Whalley, B. (2019) Evaluating the Active Neighbourhoods Project (Site Survey Analysis), Pymouth City Council.