Dr Simone Schroff
Associate Head of School - Law
School of Society and Culture (Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Business)
BA Keele; MA Exeter; PhD University of East Anglia
Socio- Legal Studies Association
I currently lead and/ or teach on the following modules:
- Intellectual Property Law
- Work-based Action Research
- Methods of Legal Research (@ University of Amsterdam)
- Research Methods in Law (LLM Law)
- European Integration [teaching only]
I have previously led and/or taught:
- EU Intellectual Property Law
- Copyright X (in cooperation with Harvard University)
- Research Lab (interdisciplinary research design, methodology and methods)
- Work-based learning: Research Law Clinic
- EU Law [teaching only]
- English Legal System
- Introduction to Law (Law minors)
- Introduction to Contemporary Politics [teaching only]
- Political Theory [teaching only]
Empirical methodologies and methods in law; copyright law and policy; copyright-related business models.
Grants & contracts
2019- 2020: Heritage Lottery Funding for Plymouth Powerful Women project (Co- I)
2017–2018: Visiting Researcher at Waseda University (Canon Foundation)
2015: Working Paper Development grant (RCUK Centre for Copyright and New Business Models in the Creative Economy)
2014–2015: Academic Japanese Language Study at the Kansai Center (Japan Foundation)
Key publications are highlightedJournals
S. Schroff, Who owns the broadcasting archives?Unravelling copyright ownership of broadcast content (Amsterdam: DeLex,2017).
S. Schroff (2017), ‘Making Public Service Broadcasts Accessible Online- A Study on the Copyright- Related Environment and Industry Practice’, Images for the Future- When Can We Watch?, pp. 1-145.
M. Hviid, S. Schroff and J. Street (2016), ‘Regulating CMOs by competition: an incomplete answer to the licensing problem?’, CREATe Working Paper Series, No. 2016/03 (https://zenodo.org/record/47703/files/CREATe-Working-Paper-2016-03.pdf), pp. 1-31.
M. Favale, S. Schroff and A. Bertoni (2016), ‘Requirements for Diligent Search in the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, and Italy’, EnDOW (http://diligentsearch.eu/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/EnDOW_Report-1.pdf), pp. 1-48.
S. Schroff (2015), ‘Europeana Sounds and Copyrights: The Need for and Challenges in Licensing Archival Material’, Europeana Sounds (http://pro.europeana.eu/files/Europeana_Professional/Projects/Project_list/Europeana_Sounds/Other%20documents%20related%20to%20the%20project/Europeana%20Report%20by%20IVIR%20final.pdf), pp. 1-97.
J. Street, D. Laing and S. Schroff (2015), ‘Collective Management Organisations, Creativity and Cultural Diversity,’ CREATe Working Paper Series, No. 2015/03 (https://zenodo.org/record/17860/files/CREATe-Working-Paper-2015-03.pdf), pp. 1-31.
S. Schroff (2014), ‘Transparency and Collective Management Organisations’, CREATe (http://www.create.ac.uk/blog/2014/10/01/transparency-and-the-collective-management-organisations/; published: 1/10/14) [blog]
Reports & invited lectures
M. Pfeffer, Z. Zoltan, S. Schroff and M. Roth, “Harmonizing Open Licenses among Online Databases of Enthusiast Communities: Challenges Encountered in the Legal Integration of Databases in the Japanese Visual Media Graph Project”, Lightening talk at Putting Open Social Scholarship into Practice
S. Schroff “Process- tracing in Law” at the University of Leiden (online, due to Covid) 27 August 2020
S. Schroff “Offene Lizenzen” at Hochschule der Medien Stuttgart (online, due to Covid) 7 July 2020
S. Schroff, ‘When is a fan a pirate? Copyright (non) enforcement in Japan', Institute for Information Law, Amsterdam 16 November 2018
- S. Schroff, ‘Collective Management Organizations: Between Assumptions and Reality’, International Round Table: Digital Single Market and Its Impact on Culture and Media in Croatia, Zagreb 20 May 2018
- S. Schroff, ‘Making Broadcasts Accessible Online- A Study on the Copyright- Related Environment and Industry Practice’, AVA_Net 2017, Hilversum 19 May 2017
- S. Schroff, ‘Licensing audio- visual archives from a copyright Perspective: Between Assumptions and Empirical Evidence’, Digital Humanities 2016, Krakow 12 July 2016
- S. Schroff, ‘Creating Legal Access to Sound Heritage’, National Library of France, Paris 1 October 2015
Other academic activities
2019- 2022 Co- Director of the Culture and Knowledge Exchanges (CHEx) group (formerly known as #CHITCHAT)
2018- 2022 Member of the HUM Faculty Ethics Committee
2019- 2021 Member of the Research Committee