- Room 103, 21 Portland Villas, Drake Circus, Plymouth, PL4 8AA
- +44 1752 585788
Dr Patrick Holden
Associate Professor (Reader)
School of Society and Culture (Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Business)
- European Union
- Development aid
- International organisations
Email email@example.com to enquire.
Patrick Holden’s research has explored the link between power, ideas and public policy on topics such as trade policy and development. Holden’s career has been distinguished by engagement with policymakers and stakeholders at all levels, from working with policy-makers from the EU and OECD to local institutions in Plymouth (2019). A proficient media contributor Holden did a ‘Brexplanations’ episode for Radio 5 Live (2019) and explained the recent G7 tax agreement for Sky News (2021).
Research and teaching in relation to International Political Economy, the European Union in the World, International Development Policy, Global Governance and Regional Integration.
- 2004-2005 Early Stage Researcher, University of Cambridge, Centre for International Studies. (Marie Curie Fellowship).
- 2001-2005 University of Limerick, PHD on EU aid policy and the reform of governance in North Africa. (Awarded Government of Ireland Scholarship 2001).
- 2000-2001 University of Limerick, MA Degree in European Integration (First Class Honours) (Dissertation topic - Pre-accession aid).
- 1992-1995 University College Dublin, BA in History and English (Honours, 2.1).
BISA British International Studies Association
UACES University Association for Contemporary European Studies
PSA Political Studies Association
DSA Development Studies Association
Europe in the World, International Trade Politics, International Political Economy and Global Governance.
Geoeconomics: International Trade Politics and Policy; Development Policy
Politics and Public Policy
Global/local interactions: The Plymouth South Devon Freeport
ESRC Festival of Social Science (2022) The Political and Socio-Economic implications of the Plymouth South Devon Freeport https//www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/supercharging-the-south-west-tickets432666114997
ESRC Festival of Social Science (2019) Negotiation in an Age of Political Crisis.
Brexit Rebuilding Relationships and Resilience Project (with Richard Saundry) 2018-2019 (internally funded).https//www.plymouth.ac.uk/uploads/production/document/path/15/15520/Rebuilding_Relati%20onships_Final_Report_.pdf
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
- Veit Bachmann 2009: Regulating geopolitical space: EU interaction with East Africa
- Annette Elliot 2009: Building Positive Peace? A gendered analysis of United Nations Security Council Resolutiin 1325 on Women, Peace and Security
Key publications are highlightedJournals
Other academic activities
- I am on the editorial board of Mediterranean Politics.
- I am the external examiner for the MA in International Politics at Sussex University
- I have served as an evaluator of ESRC and ESF (European Science Foundation) Projects.
- I contributed to the Trinity International Development Initiative’s submission to the Irish Government’s review of its development White Paper (March 2012).
- External Examiner for PhDs at the University of Aston 2011 and University of Ghent 2012.
- Chair of the Plymouth Business School’s Faculty Research Ethical Approval Committee 2010-2011.
- Joint-Manager of the International Relations undergraduate programme at Plymouth University: September 2011-May 2012.