Dr Mustafa Hussein Ajlan Al-jarshawi
Honorary Research Fellow
Peninsula Medical School (Faculty of Health)
Specialty trainee doctor and NIHR's Academic Clinical Fellow in Internal Medicine, jointly hosted by the University of Plymouth (Faculty of Health) as an Honorary Research Fellow (25%) & the University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust, at Derriford Hospital site as an IMT doctor (75%).
MSc ClinEd (Dist), University of Leicester, United Kingdom 2022
Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board (PLAB), General Medical Council, United Kingdom 2021
MBChB (Hons), University of Baghdad, Iraq 2020
General Medical Council
Royal College of Physicians (London)
Roles on external bodies
Associate Editor, the Journal of the Royal College of Physicians (Edinburgh), United Kingdom.
Trainees representative member, the editorial board for the Journal of the Royal College of Physicians (Edinburgh), United Kingdom.
Regularly teaches undergraduate medical students and postgraduate physicians associates at both the bedside & in tutorial sessions. His teaching experience includes delivering theory-based lectures, clinical sessions at the bedside on medical wards, simulation-based, online, clinical skills sessions, and small classroom-based formats, i.e., case-based teaching. Key previous roles and responsibilities:
Clinical teaching fellowship at Mid & South Essex NHS Foundation Trust, Broomfield Hospital, 2022-2023,
Assistant Lecturer, General Internal Medicine at the University of Baghdad, College of Medicine, 2021
Staff serving as external examiners
Actively involved in clinical assessments of medical and allied healthcare professionals students. He regularly examines on the Phase 1 & Phase 2 Objective Structured Clinical Examinations (OSCEs), MBChB programme at the University of Leicester, Leicester Medical School. He also examined candidates on the physician associate MSc Course at St George's University of London between 2022-2023. He remains an OSCE Examiner, at Liverpool University, School of Medicine since 2022.
Complex healthcare needs of older people & Cardiovascular diseases
Grants & contracts
National Institute for Health & Care Research's ACF award (2023-2026)
- Al-Jarshawi, M. and Al-Imam, A. A Thousand Words About Modern Medical Education: A Mini-Review Concerning the Theory of Education. Journal of Medical Science. 2022; 91(2), pp.e636-e636. Available here.
- Hashim HT, Ramadhan MA, Al-Jarshawi M, Kadhim MH. Psychiatry in Iraq: Challenges and Consequences. Prim Care Companion CNS Disord. 2021 May 6;23(3):21com02922. doi: 10.4088/PCC.21com02922. PMID: 34000172.
- Al-jarshawi M, Al-Imam A. A review on medical child abuse and child protection. Journal of the Faculty of Medicine Baghdad. 2020;62(4):132-8. Available here.
- Al-jarshawi M, Albadree H, Bahar H, Al-Imam A. Misleading Presentation of Colorectal Cancer in an Otherwise Healthy Patient. Journal of the Faculty of Medicine Baghdad. 2021;63(3):102-8. available here.
- Motyka MA, Al-Imam A, Aljarshawi MH. SARS-CoV-2 pandemic as an anomie. socialspacejournal.eu. 2020:111. Available here.
- Al- jarshawi M., Al-saffar M., Al-halaq S. Uncontrolled hypertension; from determinants to first encounter management at emergency unit of Baghdad teaching hospital (Abstract). Journal of the royal college of physicians cians (Edinburgh). 2019. Available here.
Al-Jarshawi M, Jabbar AH, Albadree H, Al Alwany AA, Madlul YA, Shaker HH, Abdulwahid AT. Epidemiology of Congenital Heart Diseases. In Clinical and Surgical Aspects of Congenital Heart Diseases: Text and Study Guide 2023 Jan 21 (pp. 9-13). Springer International Publishing. Available here.
Al-jarshawi, M., Lucassen, A., and Samuel, G. Environmental impacts associated with the manufacturing of personalised medicines: a scoping review. 2022. Available here.
Workshop presentations at national conferences in the UK:
- Al-jarshawi M., Michael R., Allen K. "Designing and running effective ward simulation by junior doctors in undergraduate medical education" at the National Annual Scholarship Meeting organised by the Association for the Study of Medical Education, Birmingham, 2023. Available here.
1st national awareness conference on World heart day in Iraq, 2015 (Hosted by the University of Baghdad & Iraqi medical students association
Other academic activities
Research lead, CTF programme, Broomfield hospital, Mid & South Essex NHS Foundation Trust, 2022- 2023
Member of the faculty of academic and clinical educators (FACE), university of Liverpool, 2022- present
Interviewer on the multiple mini-interviews for the MBChB programme, University of Leicester, 2021- Present
Member of the race and ethnicity committee at the college of life sciences, university of Leicester, 2021- 2022
Member of the higher steering committee at the university of Baghdad College of medicine for fulfilling the requirements of academic accreditation by WFME, 2017-2020