Dr Martha Paisi
Post Doctoral Research Fellow in Public Health Dentistry
Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry
My major qualifications are in Human Nutrition (MMedSci) and Physical Education (MSc). I recently completed my doctoral degree at Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry, Plymouth University. My work examined the relationship between obesity and caries in Plymouth children and sought to better comprehend the individual and the broader determinants of the two conditions.
My PhD was divided into three parts: a systematic review examining the relationship between BMI and caries in children and adolescents using a validated and study design specific tool; an analysis of extant data concerning Plymouth children’s weight status and dental caries using spatial analyses; and lastly a school survey of local children, where different types of obesity were examined in relation to dental caries.
The work has provided insight into the relationship between obesity and caries in Plymouth children and has highlighted several indicators which need to be considered when developing local public health interventions.
As of March 2016, I was appointed as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Public Health Dentistry at Plymouth University, in collaboration with Public Health England. Through my current post, I am exploring the barriers and enablers to accessing dental care experienced by homeless people in the UK.
1. Christophi C, Pampaka D, Paisi M, Ioannou S and DiFranza JR. Levels of physical dependence on tobacco among adolescent smokers in Cyprus'. Addictive Behaviors. 2016; 60: 148-153.
2. Savvides ECG, Christophi CA, Paisi M, Pampaka D, Kinnunen T and Connolly GN Factors associated with intent to quit tobacco use in Cyprus adolescents'. Preventive Medicine. 2014; 60: 83-87.
3. Christophi CA, Paisi M, Pampaka D, Kehagias M, Vardavas C and Connolly GN. The impact of the Cyprus comprehensive smoking ban on air quality and economic business of hospitality venues. BMC Public Health. 2013; 13 :76.
4. Makris KC, Christophi CA, Paisi M, Ettinger AS. A preliminary assessment of low level arsenic exposure and diabetes mellitus in Cyprus. BMC Public Health. 2012; 12:334.
5. Sleap M, Elliot B, Paisi M and Reed H. The Lifestyle of Affluent Young People Aged 9-15 years: A Case Study. J Phys Act Health. 2007; 4(4):459-468.
6. Nakano E, Taiwo F A, Nugent D, Griffiths HR, Aldred S, Paisi M, Kwok M, Bhatt P, Hill MHE, Moat S and Powers H J. Downstream effects on human low density lipoprotein of homocysteine exported from endothelial cells in an in vitro system. J. Lipid Res. 2005; 46:484-493.