Mr Malek Benattayallah
Honorary University Fellow
School of Psychology (Faculty of Health)
Dr Benattayallah is an experienced MRI physicist and clinical scientist. He graduated with an MSc in Medical Physics from Surrey University in 1998 and a PhD in MRI from the University of Nottingham in 2002. After two years at the Philips Hospital, in Marburg, Germany, he joined Exeter University, UK, in 2004 and managed the Exeter MR research centre.
In 2020, He start working at the University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust and he is currently involved with research activities at Brain Research & Imaging Centre (BRIC), Plymouth University. He has published many research papers in several leading academic peer-reviewed journals. He has also presented numerous papers at professional conferences worldwide.
- 2015 - 2016: Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (PCAP), University of Exeter.
- 1998-2002: PhD, Lung Imaging using Hyperpolarised Gas, University of Nottingham.
- 1997-1998: MSc, Medical Physics, University of Surrey.
- Member of The International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM).
- Member of the Institution of Physics and Engineering in Medicine (IPEM).
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA).
- Chartered Scientist (CSci MIPEM)[PEM/108/227495].
- Clinical Scientist (registered member of Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC))
Roles on external bodies
- Assessors for Science Council
- Assessors for IPEM (CSci, RSci and RSciTech)
- Assessor for IST
- ISMRM abstract reviewer
Teach on three programmes (Undergraduate, Postgraduate):
- FRCR (Fellowship of Royal College of Radiologists)
- MSc Human Neuroscience
- BSc Diagnostic Radiography
In the following Core modules
- Diagnostic radiology for FRCR: Physics
- PSYC778: The physics of neuroimaging
- RAD512: Medical Imaging Science 3
- RAD413: Medical Imaging Science 2
- RAD412: Medical Imaging Science 1
- MRI Safety Training
- Jones J, Adlam R, Benattayallah A, Milton F. The Neural Correlates of Working Memory Training in Typically Developing Children. Journal of Child Development, December 2021.
- Inkster A, Milton F, Edmunds C, Benattayallah A, Wills A. Neural correlates of the inverse base rate effect. Human Brain Mapping, November 2021.
- Thienkarochanakul K, Javadi AA, Akrami M, Robert Charnley JR, Benattayallah A. Stress Distribution of the Tibiofemoral Joint in a Healthy Versus Osteoarthritis Knee Model Using Image-Based Three-Dimensional Finite Element Analysis. Journal of Medical and Biological Engineering, April 2020.
- Parris B A, Wadsley M G, Hasshim N, Benattayallah A, Augustinova M, Ferrand L. An fMRI Study of Response and Semantic Conflict in the Stroop Task. Frontiers in Psychology, 10 2426, October 2019
- Khenien A, Benattayallah A, Tabor G. CFD Simulation of an Industrial Spiral Refrigeration System. Energies, 12 (17): August 2019.
- Lawn W, Mithchener L, Freeman T P, Benattayallah A, Bisby J A, Wall M B, Dodds C M, Curran H V, Morgan C J A. Value‐based decision‐making of cigarette and nondrug rewards in dependent and occasional cigarette smokers: An FMRI study. In Addiction Biology, May 2019.
- Akrami M, Craig K, Dibaj M, Javadi A, Benattayallah A. A Three-dimensional finite element analysis of the human hip. The Journal of Medical Engineering and Technology. 42 (7): 546-552, March 2019.
- Milton FN, Bealing P, Carpenter KL, Benattayallah A, Wills AJ. The neural correlates of similarity- and rule-based generalization. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 29 (1): 150-166, January 2017.
- Carpenter KL, Wills AJ, Benattayallah A, Milton FN. A comparison of the neural correlates that underlie rule-based and information-integration category learning. Human Brain Mapping, 37 (10): 3557-3574, October 2016.
- Hodgson TL, Parris BA, Benattayallah A, Summers IR. Evidence for multi-modal representation of effector modality in frontal cortex during stimulus-response rule switching. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 9 (486): 2015.
- Norman L, Lawrenceh N, Iles A, Benattayallah A, Karl A. Attachment security priming attenuates amygdala activation to social and linguistic threat. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience, 10 (6): 832-839, 2015.
- Smith LJ, Anand P, Benattayallah A, Hodgson TL. An fMRI investigation of moral cognition in healthcare decision making. Journal of Neuroscience, Psychology, and Economics, 8 (2): 116-133, 2015
- Hodgson JC, Benattayallah A, Hodgson TL. The Role of the Dominant Versus the Non-Dominant Hemisphere: An fMRI Study of Aphasia Recovery Following Stroke. Aphasiology, (1): July 2014.
- Milton F, Butler CR, Benattayallah A, Zeman A. The neural basis of autobiographical memory deficits in transient epileptic amnesia. Neuropsychologia, 50 (14): 3528-3541, December 2012.
- Flanagan DE, Fulford J, Krishnan B, Benattayallah A, Watt A, Summers IR. Functional MRI of the hypothalamic response to an oral glucose load. Diabetologia, 55 (7): 2080-2082, July 2012.
- Milton F, Butler CR, Benattayallah A, Zeman A. MP 2 An fMRI study of autobiographical memory deficits in transient epileptic amnesia. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, 83 (10): July 2012.
- Roser M.E, Corballis M.C, Jansari A, Fulford J, Benattayallah A, Adams W.M. Bilateral redundancy gain and callosal integrity in a man with callosal lipoma: a diffusion-tensor imaging study. Neurocase, 18 (3): 185-198, 2012.
- Van.Rensburg K.J, Taylor A, Benattayallah A, Hodgson T. The effects of exercise on cigarette cravings and brain activation in response to smoking-related images. Psychopharmacology, 221 (4): 659-666, 2012.
- Milton F, Muhlert N, Butler C, Smith A, Benattayallah A, Zeman A. An fMRI study of long-term everyday memory using SenseCam. Memory, 19 (7): 733-744, October 2011.
- Milton F, Muhlert N, Butler C, Smith A, Benattayallah A, Zeman A. The neural correlates of everyday recognition memory. Brain and Cognition, 76 (3): 369-381, 2011.
- Lavric A, Bregadze N, Benattayallah A. Detection of experimental ERP effects in combined EEG-fMRI: evaluating the benefits of interleaved acquisition and Independent Component Analysis. Clinical Neurophysiology, 122 (2): 267-277, February 2011.
- Peacock O.J, Stokes K.A, Thompson D, Benattayallah A, Fulford and J. Cortical responses to a carbohydrate-electrolyte drink and water: effects of an exercise-dehydration model. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 42 (10): 98-99, October 2010.
- Van Rensburg K.J, Taylor A, Hodgson T, Benattayallah A. Acute exercise modulates cigarette cravings and brain activation in response to smoking-related images: an fMRI study. Psychopharmacology, 203 (3): 589-598, April 2009.
- Parris B.A, Kuhn G, Mizon G, Benattayallah A, Hodgson T.L. Imaging the impossible: An fMRI study of impossible causal relationships in magic tricks. NeuroImage, 45 (3): 1033-1039, April 2009.
- Parris B.A, Thai N.J, Benattayallah A, Summers I.R, Hodgson T.L. The role of the lateral prefrontal cortex and anterior cingulate in stimulus-response association reversals. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 19 (1): 13-24, January 2007.
- Tabor G, G.P Young, Beresford West T, Benattayallah A. Mesh construction from Medical Imaging for Multiphysics simulation: Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow in Complex Geometries. Engineering Applications of Computational Fluid Mechanics, 1 (2): 126 - 136, 2007.
- Owers-Bradley J.R, Fichele S, Benattayallah A, McGloin C.J, Bowtell R.W, Morgan P, Moody A.R. MR tagging of human lungs using hyperpolarized He-3 gas. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, 17 (1): 142-146, April 2003.
Reports & invited lectures