Dr Lucy Spowart
Associate Professor (Senior Lecturer) in Postgraduate Education
Peninsula Medical School (Faculty of Health)
- Associate Professor Clinical Education
- Programme Lead Masters and PGCert in Clinical Education (Distance Learning and Face-to-Face Pathways)
B.A. (Hons) Sport and Recreation Studies, Staffordshire University, 1989.
Post Graduate Certificate in Education, University of Exeter, 1997.
MSc Sport Sociology (Distinction). University of Leicester, 2004.
Postgraduate Paper in Qualitative Research in Education, 2008.
Ph.D. Sport Sociology. Title: 'Snowboarding Mums Carve out Fresh Tracks: Collective Stories from the Mountains of Aotearoa/New Zealand'
National Teaching Fellow 2020
Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (PFHEA)
Education Advisor, the University of Exeter
Senior Lecturer, Sport, Recreation and Event Management, Edith Cowan University, Perth, Western Australia
Various teaching and learning roles at the University of Otago whilst completing my PhD e.g. Study Skills Tutor for the Maori Centre; Teaching Assistant; Research Assistant
Sport Development Manager, Sport Waitakere Regional Sports Trust. Member of the management team. Key roles included: community development and training; staff training and development; preparation of funding applications; research and strategic planning.
Senior Lecturer, Physical Education and Sport Sciences, The University College of st. Mark and St. John. Teaching on a range of practical and theoretical modules; Teacher training; Supervision of undergraduate dissertations; Member of the Institution's Teaching and Learning Committee.
Programme Co-ordinator, Leisure and Tourism, St. Austell College, Cornwall.
Lecturer, Leisure and Tourism, St. Austell College, Cornwall
1990 - 1993
Part-time lecturer in Health and Fitness, and Leisure and Tourism, St. Austell College, Cornwall
Tutor for the Youth Sports Trust
Tutor for the National Coaching Foundation
Adult Education Tutor (part-time), Estover Community College, Plymouth.
Tutor for the Central Council of Physical Recreation
- Member of the Association of Medical Education
- Fellow of the Academy of Medical Educators
- Member of the Society for Research in Higher Education
- Member of the South West Educational Developers Forum
Roles on external bodies
Senior External panel member for Manchester Metropolitan University's in-house accreditation scheme 2012-2014
External panel member for the inaugural accreditation panel for Aston University's Institutional teaching accreditation scheme for experienced teachers in H.E, 2013.
External panel member for the periodic review of the Masters in Education, Falmouth College of Arts, 2012.
Subject Specialist Reviewer in the area of sport, leisure and hospitality for the Quality Assurance Agency, UK. Five external reviews of Universities and Colleges in the UK conducted (2000-2002).
My teaching interests and specialisms are:
- Teacher education
- Assessment and Feedback
- Authentic Learning
- Peer Mentoring/Peer Assessment
- Student Support
Sally Hanks: Deconstructing, contextualising and assessing management and leadership qualities in dental professionals: an ethnographic study of principles in practice. Completed 2020
2020 Durham University - EdD External examiner
Previous Teaching and Learning Experience
As a Sport Management/Development Lecturer:
Lecturing, practical teaching, small group teaching, supervision (undergraduate to Masters), Study skills, Work-based learning
Staff serving as external examiners
External Examiner Portsmouth APEX Programme 2020- current
Recent Awards and Project Involvement
- 2020 Principal Investigator Advance HE project: 'Accreditation Impact Evaluation' (£60,000)
- 2017-19 Principal Investigator 'A cross institutional study examining the impact of Clinical Education Programmes at 4 UK Institutions' (£6500)
- 2016/17 Principal Investigator on a project entitled: 'A cross-institutional comparison of staff experiences of gaining HEA recognition through in-house Professional Frameworks (£8128)
- 2015 Principal Investigator on a PedRio funded project entitled: 'Largely invisible: Lone parents’ experiences of Higher Education at Plymouth University' (£8284.10)
- 2014 Member of the project team on the HEA National Project 'Evaluating teaching development in H.E:towards impact assessment' (£100,000)
- 2013 Principal Investigator on a project exploring staff engagement with the UK Professional Standards Framework for teaching in H.E
- 2011 Steering Group member for Joint Information Systems Committee (JISC) COLLABORATE project : working with employers and students to design assessment enhanced by the use of digital technologies
- 2011 Co-researcher on a collaborative project with the University of Otago exploring the experiences of Postgraduate students involved in a peer mentoring project
- 2011-12 Principal investigator on a project exploring the advantages and disadvantages of various approaches to community engagement within Sports Programmes at the University College St. Mark and St. John.
- 2010 Research Assistant on a project exploring girls experiences of Physical Education at Secondary Schools in New Zealand
- 2008-2010 University of Otago Doctoral Scholarship ($40,000NZ)
- 2007: University of Otago Research Grant for $5000NZ to investigate the newly established Surfing Mums Group in Mount Maunganui and Tauranga using qualitative research methods.
- 2007-2008 University of Otago Division of Science Award ($7,500NZ)
- 2006 Successfully wrote a $250,000NZ bid to Sport and Recreation New Zealand to fund the appointment of an ‘Active Schools Co-ordinator’ in the Waitakere region of Auckland.
Co-Supervisor: Sally Hanks: Deconstructing, contextualising and assessing management and leadership qualities in dental professionals: an ethnographic study of principles in practice. Completed 2020
Spowart, L., Turner, R., Dismore, H., Beckman, E., Carkett, R., Khamis, T. (2020). Assessing the impact of accreditation on institutions. Advance HE.
Turner, R., and Spowart, L. (2020). Assessing the impact of accreditation on institutions: Literature Review. Advance HE.
Key publications are highlightedJournals
Burt, W. & Spowart, L. (2020) Assessing the impact of a new central venous device training programme for nurses: A Quasi-Experimental Evaluation study." Journal of Infection Prevention.accepted for publication 10 November 2020
2005: Organised and ran a Nationwide Conference for Sport Development staff across New Zealand. Attended by staff from all 17 Regional Sports Trusts.
I enjoy triathlon and multisport events. I completed Speights Coast to Coast World Multi-sport event February 2010. I was also a bronze medallist in the World Long Course Triathlon Age-Group Championships, Perth, Australia, 2009. I have completed several Ironman and Long Distance triathlons, and placed third in my age-group at Challenge Wanaka long-distance triathlon, New Zealand 2017. I am also a Level 3 Triathlon Coach and Head Coach at Plymouth Triathlon Club.