Lecturer in Evidence Based Healthcare - Information Specialist (Education)
Peninsula Dental School (Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry)
Lorna Burns, Information Specialist, has nearly 20 years of experience delivering specialist information services across the health, legal and public sectors. Within the health sector, she has worked within primary care, mental health and public health. Lorna now works in University of Plymouth Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, where in addition to teaching on evidence based healthcare, she provides expertise to systematic review projects.
- MSc Human Communication and Computing (Bath University, 2008)
- MSc Information and Library Management (Bristol University, 2004)
- BA Hons German Literature (Liverpool University, 1997)
Member of Chartered Institute of Information Professionals
Fellow of Higher Education Academy
Information skills teaching on the postgraduate dental programmes at the Peninsula Dental School.
- Advanced database searching
- Critical appraisal
- Reference management using EndNote
Supervision of MSc dissertations
Support also given to undergraduate Critically Appraised Topics
Literature searching to support healthcare decision making, particularly in the fields of dentistry, mental health and public health.
- Information science support of the systematic review process.
- Information skills teaching and learning.
- Knowledge and skills development and CPD for information professionals.
Key publications are highlightedJournals
2018 'Oral Care of Palliative Care Patients - Carers' and Relatives' Experiences. A Qualitative Study' British Dental Journal , DOI PEARL
0 'Developing sustainability in a dental practice through an Action Research approach' British Dental Journal PEARL
0 'Systematic review and evidence synthesis of non-cervical human papillomavirus-related disease health systems costs and quality of life estimates' Sexually Transmitted Infections