Associate Professor (Reader) in Multimedia Comms and Networks
School of Computing, Electronics and Mathematics (Faculty of Science & Engineering)
Reader (Associate Professor) in Multimedia Communications and Networks, School of Computing, Electronics and Mathematics.
Module leaders for NET303/NET502 (Multimedia Networking) and NET301/NET501 (Advanced Routing and Switching). Lecturer for NET105 (Introduction to Computer Systems and Networks.
PhD in Computing and Communications
MSc in Communications and Electronics Systems
BEng in Telecommunications Engineering
Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA)
Member of IEEE
Roles on external bodies
Symposium Co-Chair for Communication Software, Services and Multimedia Applications (CSSMA) for IEEE ICC 2014 , 10 - 14 June, 2014, Syndey, Australia.
Award Board Member for IEEE MMTC (2012- 2014).
Chair of Quality of Experience Interest Group (QoEIG), Multimedia Communications Technical Committee (MMTC), IEEE Communication Society, 2010 – 2012
Publicity Co-Chair of IEEE ICME 2011
Post & Demo Co-Chair of IEEE Globecom 2010.
Associate Editor (AE) for IEEE Transactions on Multimedia (2016 - 2018).
Reviewer for journals:
- IEEE Transactions on Multimedia (TMM)
- IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech and Language Processing
- IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management
- IEEE Communications Letters
- IET Electronics Letters
- ACM Computing Surveys
- Journal of Audio Engineering Society (JAES)
- Elsevier Computer Networks
- Acta Acustica united with Acustica
- Speech Communication
- Multimedia Systems
Book proposal review:
- John Wiley & Sons
- EU H2020
- NSERC, Canada
Multimedia Communications and Networking
Voice and Video over IP
Multimedia networks (e.g. VoIP, adaptive video streaming)
Mobile networks (e.g. resource allocation and mobility management)
QoE modelling and management for multimedia services
SDN/NFV (e.g. network architecture, intelligent control/routing)
Applications of AI in communications and networking
Multimedia services in emergency communications
Multimedia applications for eHealthcare
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
Current PhD/ResM students:
Second supervisor, Mr. Federico Da Rold (PhD on cognitive robotics)
2016, DoS, Dr. Ali Alfayly (PhD on QoE-driven LTE Downlink Scheduling for Multimedia Services)
2009 Second supervisor, Dr. P Hu on A Framework for Bioprofile Analysis over Grid
2007 Second supervisor, Dr. Z Li on Resource-Efficient Strategies for Mobile Ad-hoc Networking
Grants & contracts
EU H2020-MSCA-ITN-2014, QoE-NET (innovative Quality Of Experience maNagement in Emerging mulTimedia services), €3.1M (€547K at Plymouth), PI
EU FP7 SEC-2011, Collaborative Project: GERYON (Next Generation Technology Independent Interoperability of Emergency Services), €2.5M (€478K at Plymouth), PI
UoP, International Research, Networking and Collaboration (IRNC) Grant, £5,000
EU COST Action IC1003 QUALINET
The Royal Academy of Engineering (RAE) Travel Grant
EU FP7 – ICT on Networked Media, Collaborative Project: ADAMANTIUM (ADAptative Management of media distribution based on satisfaction oriented User Modelling), €2.6M(€310K at Plymouth), Co-Investigator and WP4 leader.
Funds from industry £18K for a project on voice/video quality for 3G networks (with £6K for sponsoring two MRes projects), Co-Investigator.
IEEE Travel Grant $1000 for attending IEEE ICC 2003
IEEE Travel Grant $1000 for attending IEEE ICC 2002
- Centre for Security, Communications and Network Research (CSCAN)
- Signal Processing and Multimedia Communications
1. Lingfen Sun, Is-Haka Mkwawa, Emmanuel Jammeh and Emmanuel Ifeachor, Guide to Voice and Video over IP: For Fixed and Mobile Networks, Springer, Feb. 2013, 281 pages, ISBN 978-1-4471-4904-0 (textbook)
2. H Koumaras, JO Fajardo, F Liberal, L Sun, V Koumaras, C Troulos, A Kourtis, A Social Relational Network – Based Architecture for Maintaining the Media Integrity and Optimizing the Quality of Experience: A Technical and Business Perspective, Book Chapter in “Social Computing Theory and Practice: Interdisciplinary Approaches” Edited by P Papadopoulou et al. IGI Global, pp. 242 – 263. ISBN13: 9781616929046, Oct. 2010.
3. E Ifeachor, P Hu, L Sun, N Hudson, M Zervakis, Bioprofiling over Grid for Personalised eHealthcare for AD, Book chapter in "Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications", pp.155-165, ISBN 978-1-60750-010-0, IOS Press, Vol. 196, 2009.
4. H. Koumaras, F. Liberal, L.Sun, PQoS Assessment Methods for Multimedia Services, Chapter XIII, Handbook of Research on Wireless Multimedia: Quality of Service and Solutions, IGI Global publication, ISBN: 978-1-59904-820-8, July 2008, pp. 316 – 352.
5. Z Li, L Sun and E Ifeachor, Efficient Packet Relaying in Sparse Mobile Sensor Networks, Book chapter in "Wireless Mesh Networking – with 802.16, 802.11 and ZigBEE", G. Aggelou, Ed., McGraw-Hill. 2008, ISBN 978-0-07-148256, pp 171 – 180.
1. Method and Apparatus for Determining the Speed and Orientation of Networked Mobile Stations
Z Li, L Sun and E Ifeachor,
UK Patent filed in June 2007, Application No. GB 0711534.8
1. Avsar Asan, Werner Robitza, Is-Haka Mkwawa, Lingfen Sun, Emmanuel Ifeachor, Alexander Raake, Impact of Video Resolution Changes on QoE for Adaptive Video Streaming, IEEE ICME’17, Hong Kong, 10 – 14 July 2017.
2. Shaymaa Al-Juboori, Is-Haka Mkwawa, Lingfen Sun and Emmanuel Ifeachor, Investigation of Relationships Between Changes in EEG Features and Subjective Quality of HDR Images, IEEE ICME’17, Hong Kong, 10 - 14 July 2017.
3. Shenghong Hu, Lingfen Sun, Chunxia Xiao and Chao Gui, Semantic-aware Adaptation Scheme over MPEG-DASH, IEEE ICME’17, Hong Kong, 10 - 14 July 2017.
4. Ali H. Al-nuaimi, Emmanuel Jammeh, Lingfen Sun and Emmanuel Ifeachor, Higuchi Fractal Dimension of the Electroencephalogram as a Biomarker for Early Detection of Alzheimer’s Disease, IEEE EMBC 2017, 11 – 15, July 2017, Jeju Island, Korea.
5. Amulya Karaadi, Lingfen Sun and Is-Haka Mkwawa, Multimedia Communications in Internet of Things, QoT or QoE? The 10th IEEE International Conference on Cyber, Physical and Social Computing (CPSCom-2017), Exeter, England, UK, 21-23 June 2017.
6. E Grigoriou, A A Barakabitze, L Atzori, L Sun and V Pilloni, An SDN-approach for QoE management of multimedia services using resource allocation, IEEE ICC, 21 – 25 May 2017, Paris, France.
7. IH Mkwawa, A A Barakabitze and L Sun, Video Quality Management over the Software Defined Networking, IEEE International Symposium on Multimedia (ISM), San Jose, California, USA, 11 – 13 Dec 2016 (INVITED PAPER).
8. L Liu, L Sun and E Ifeachor, User-Centric QoE-driven Vertical Handover Framework in Heterogeneous Networks, IEEE 12th International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Computing, Networking and Communications (WiMob), New York, USA, 17th - 19th Oct 2016.
9. A Al-Nuaimi, E Jammeh, L Sun and E Ifeachor, Changes in the EEG Amplitude As a Biomarker for Early Detection of Alzheimer’s Disease, The 38th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC 2016), Orlando, FL, USA, 16 – 20 August, 2016.
10. Alcardo Alex Barakabitze, Lingfen Sun, Is-Haka Mkwawa, Emmanuel Ifeachor, A Novel QoE-Aware SDN-enabled, NFV-based Management Architecture for Future Multimedia Applications on 5G Systems, QoMEX2016, 6 – 8 June 2016, Lisbon, Portugal.
11. Shaymaa Al-Juboori, Is-Haka Mkwawa, Lingfen Sun and Emmanuel Ifeachor, Impact of Tone-mapping Operators and Viewing Devices on Visual Quality of Experience, IEEE ICC 2016, 23 – 27 May 2016, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
12. Ali H. Al-nuaimi, Emmanuel Jammeh, Lingfen Sun and Emmanuel Ifeachor, Tsallis Entropy as a Biomarker for Detection of Alzheimer's Disease, The 37th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), 25 – 29 August 2015, Milan, Italy.
13. Li Liu, Lingfen Sun and Emmanuel Ifeachor, A QoE-driven Vertical Handover Algorithm based on Media Independent Handover Framework, WiMob 2015, Abu Dhabi, UAE, 19th – 21st Oct 2013.
14. A Alfayly, IH Mkwawa, L Sun and E Ifeachor, QoE-driven LTE Downlink Scheduling for VoIP Application, IEEE CCNC 2015, 9 – 12 Jan 2015, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
15. L Anegekuh, L Sun and E Ifeachor, A Screening Methodology for Crowdsourcing Video QoE Evaluation, IEEE GLOBECOM 2014, 8-12 Dec 2014, Austin, TX, USA.
16. S Hu, L Sun, C Gui, E Jammeh and IH Mkwawa, Content-aware Adaptation Scheme for QoE Optimized DASH Applications, IEEE GLOBECOM 2014, 8-12 Dec 2014, Austin, TX, USA.
17. L Anegekuh, L Sun and E Ifeachor, Encoded Bitstream based Video Content Type Definition for HEVC Video Quality Prediction, IEEE ICC 2014, 10-14 June 2014, Sydney, Australia.
18. JO Fajardo, F Liberal, IH Mkwawa and L Sun, Autonomous Adaptation Strategies for Multiuser Multimedia Transmission in the LTE Uplink, IEEE ICC 2014, 10-14 June 2014, Sydney, Australia.
19. JO Fajardo, F Liberal, F Li, N Clarke, IH Mkwawa and L Sun, Performance-driven Evaluation for Deploying IMS-based Interoperability Scenarios, IEEE ICC 2014, 10-14 June 2014, Sydney, Australia.
20. F. Liberal, M. Ramos, J. O. Fajardo, N. Goia, A. Bizkarguenaga, I. Mesogiti, E. Theodoropoulou, H. Koumaras, L. Sun, N. Clarke, F. Li, User Requirements for Future Wideband Critical Communications, Fifth International Conference on Internet Technologies and Applications (2013) - International Workshop on Emergency Telecommunications Systems (ETS), 10 - 13 Sep. 2013. Wrexham, UK.
21. E Jammeh, IH Mkwawa and L Sun, HEVC/LTE: Delivering Next Generation Emergency Services, Fifth International Conference on Internet Technologies and Applications (2013) – Int. Workshop on ETS, 10-13 Sep. 2013, Wrexham.
22. L Liu, L Sun, E Ifeachor, and IH Mkwawa, Congestion Control Algorithm and Performance Analysis of Voice and Video Call over Skype, Collaborative European Research Conference (CERC), 17th - 18th Oct 2013, Cork, Ireland.
23. IH Mkwawa and L Sun, Power-Driven VoIP Quality Adaptation over WLAN in Mobile Devices, IEEE Globecom 2012, Workshop: Quality of Experience for Multimedia Communications, 3 – 7 Dec. Anaheim, CA, USA.
24. A Alfayly, IH Mkwawa, L Sun and E Ifeachor, QoE-based Performance Evaluation of Scheduling Algorithms over LTE, IEEE Globecom 2012, Workshop: Quality of Experience for Multimedia Communications, 3 – 7 Dec. Anaheim, CA, USA.
25. IH Mkwawa, E Jammeh, L Sun, Mapping of Received Signal Strength Indicator to QoE in VoIP Applications in WLAN, QoMEX 2012, 5 – 7 July, Yarra Valley, Australia
26. A Khan, L Sun, JO Fajardo, I Taboada, F Liberal and E Ifeachor, Impact of End Devices on Subjective Video Quality Assessment for QCIF Video Sequences, QoMEX 2011, Mechelen, Belgium, 7 – 9 Sep 2011
27. M Goudarzi, L Sun and E Ifeachor, Modelling Speech Quality for NB and WB SILK Codec for VoIP Applications, NGMAST, Cardiff, UK, 14-16 Sep 2011
28. A Khan, IH Mkwawa, L Sun and E Ifeachor, QoE-driven Sender Bitrate Adaptation Scheme for Video Applications over IP Multimedia Subsystem, IEEE ICC, 2011, Kyoto Japan, 5-9 June 2011
29. M Goudarzi, L Sun and E Ifeachor, Audiovisual Quality Estimation for Video Calls in Wireless Applications, IEEE Globecom, Miami, USA, 6 – 10 Dec 2010.
30. IH Mkwawa, E Jammeh, L Sun and E Ifeachor, Feedback-free Early VoIP Quality Adaptation Scheme in Next Generation Networks, IEEE Globecom 2010, Miami, Florida, 6 – 10 Dec 2010.
31. A Khan, L Sun, J Oscar Fajardo, F Liberal and E Ifeachor, Impact of RLC losses on Quality Prediction for H.264 Video over UMTS Networks, IEEE ICME, 2010, Singapore, 19-23 July 2010.
32. A Khan, L Sun, J Oscar Fajardo, F Liberal and E Ifeachor, An ANFIS-based Hybrid Quality Prediction Model for H.264 Video over UMTS Networks, Proceedings of IEEE CQR, 2010, Vancouver, Canada, 8-10 June 2010.
33. M Goudarzi, L Sun and E Ifeachor, Impact of Bursty Packet Loss on Voice and Video Quality in Wireless Networks, Postgraduate Conference for Computing: Applications and Theory (PCCAT), 9th June 2010, Exeter, UK.
34. A Khan, L Sun, E Ifeachor, J Fajardo and F Liberal, Video Quality Prediction Model for H.264 Video over UMTS Networks and their Application in Mobile Video Streaming, IEEE ICC, 23-29 May 2010, Cape Town, South Africa.
35. S Jelassi, H Youssef, L Sun, G Pujolle, NIDA: A Parametric Vocal Quality Assessment Algorithm over Transient Connections, 12th IFIP/IEEE International Conference on MMNS, Oct 2009, pp. 106 – 117.
36. A Khan, L. Sun, E. Jammeh and E. Ifeachor, Content Classification Based and QoE-driven Video Send Bitrate Adaptation Scheme, Fifth International Mobimedia, Sep. 7-9, 2009 - London, UK.
37. A Khan, L. Sun and E. Ifeachor, Content Classification Based on Objective Video Quality Evaluation for MPEG4 Video Streaming over Wireless Networks, World Congress on Engineering, track on International Conference on Wireless Networks (ICWN), 1-3 July 2009, London, UK.
38. M. Goudarzi, L. Sun, and E. Ifeachor, PESQ and 3SQM measurement of voice quality over live 3G networks, 8th International Measurement of Speech, Audio and Video Quality in Network Conference, Prague, June 11, 2009.
39. A Khan, L Sun and E Ifeachor, Content Clustering-based Video Quality Prediction Model for MPEG4 Video Streaming over Wireless Networks, IEEE ICC 2009, 14-18 June 2009, Dresden, Germany.
40. A Khan, L Sun and E Ifeachor, Impact of Video Content on Video Quality for Video over Wireless Networks, Proc. of the Fifth International Conference on Autonomic and Autonomous Systems (ICAS), 2009, Spain, pp 277 - 282 (BEST PAPER AWARD).
41. IH Mkwawa, E. Jammeh, L. Sun, A. Khan and E. Ifeachor, Open IMS Core with VoIP Quality Adaptation, Proc. of 5th ICAS, 2009, Spain, pp 295 – 300.
42. Z Qiao, L Sun and E Ifeachor, Case Study of PESQ Performance in Live Wireless Mobile VoIP Environment, Proc. of IEEE PIMRC 2008, France.
43. A Khan, L Sun and E Ifeachor, An ANFIS-based Hybrid Video Quality Prediction Model for Video Streaming over Wireless Networks, Proceedings of IEEE NGMAST, 2008, UK, pp. 357-362.
44. H. Koumaras, L. Sun, A. Kourtis, The ADAMANTIUM Multimedia Content Management System for Real Time Cross-Layer Adaptation of IPTV and VoIP Services over IMS, TEMU 2008, Crete, Greece, 16-18 July 2008
45. P. Hu, L. Sun and E. Ifeachor, An Approach to Structured Knowledge Representation of Service-oriented Grids, Proceedings of UK e-Science Programme All Hands Meeting, Nottingham, UK, Sep. 2007
46. A. Khan, Z. Li, L. Sun and E. Ifeachor, Audiovisual Quality Assessment for 3G Networks in Support of eHealthcare Services, Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on CIMED, July 25-27, Plymouth, UK, 2007
47. P. Hu, A. Anastasiou, L. Sun and E. Ifeachor, A Model for Bioprofile over Grid in Support of eHealthcare, Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on CIMED, July 25-27, 2007, Plymouth UK.
48. Z Li, L Sun and E Ifeachor, Range-based Mobility Estimations in MANETs with Application to Link Availability Prediction, Proceedings of IEEE ICC 2007 June UK, pp 3376 – 3382.
49. Z Li, L Sun and E Ifeachor, Adaptive Multi-Copy Routing for Intermittently Connected Mobile Ad Hoc Networks, Proceedings of IEEE Globecom 2006, 27 Nov - 1 Dec 2006, San Francisco, USA.
50. P. Hu, L. Sun, C. Goh, B. Hamadicharef, E. Ifeachor, I. Barbounakis, M. Zervakis, N. Nurminen, A. Varri, R. Fontanelli, S. Di Bona, D. Guerri, S. La Manna, K. Cerbioni, E. Palanca, A. Starita, The BIOPATTERN Grid – Implementation and Applications, Proceedings of UK e-Science Programme All Hands Meeting, Nottingham, Sep. 2006.
51. L. Sun, P. Hu, C. Goh, B. Hamadicharef, E. Ifeachor, I. Barbounakis, M. Zervakis, N. Nurminen, A. Varri, R. Fontanelli, S. Di Bona, D. Guerri, S. La Manna, K. Cerbioni, E. Palanca, A. Starita, Bioprofiling over Grid for eHealthcare, Proceedings of HealthGrid 2006, June 7-9, SPAIN.
52. L. Sun, P. Hu, C. Goh, B. Hamadicharef, M. Hess, E. Ifeachor, I. Barbounakis, M. Zervakis, N. Nurminen, A. Varri, Bioprofiling over Grid for Early Detection of Dementia, Proceedings of INFOSCALE 2006, May 29 - June 1, Hong Kong (INVITED PAPER).
53. Z Li, L Sun and E Ifeachor, Track-based Hybrid Service Discovery in Mobile Ad-hoc Networks, Proceedings of the 16th Annual IEEE International Symposium on PIMRC, September 2005, Berlin, Germany.
54. L Sun and E Ifeachor, The Impact of Grid on Healthcare, Proceedings of Second International Conference on CIMED, 2005, 29 Jun– 1Jul, Lisbon.
55. P Hu, Z Qiao, L Sun and E Ifeachor, Runtime Estimation of Parallel Applications in Computational Grids, Proceedings of Second International Conference on CIMED, 2005, 29th June – 1st July, Lisbon, Portugal.
56. Z Li, L Sun and E Ifeachor, Challenges of Mobile Ad-hoc Grids and their Applications in eHealthcare, Proceedings of Second International Conference on CIMED, 2005, 29th June - 1st July, Lisbon, Portugal.
57. L Sun and E Ifeachor, New Models for Perceived Voice Quality Prediction and their Applications in Playout Buffer Optimization for VoIP Networks, Proceedings of IEEE ICC, Paris, France, June 2004, pp.1478 - 1483.
58. Z Qiao, L Sun, N Heilemann and E Ifeachor, A New Method for VoIP Quality of Service Control Based on Combined Adaptive Sender Rate and Priority Marking, Proceedings of IEEE ICC, Paris, France, June 2004, pp.1473 - 1477.
59. L Sun and E Ifeachor, New Methods for Voice Quality Evaluation for IP Networks, Proceedings of the 18th International Teletraffic Congress, Germany, 31 August - 5 Sep. 2003, pp. 1201 - 1210.
60. Z Li, L Sun, Z Qiao and E Ifeachor, Perceived Speech Quality Driven Retransmission Mechanism for Wireless VoIP, Proceedings of IEE Fourth International Conference on 3G Mobile Communication Technologies, London, UK, June 2003, pp. 395 - 399.
61. L Sun and E Ifeachor, Prediction of Perceived Conversational Speech Quality and Effects of Playout Buffer Algorithms, Proceedings of IEEE ICC, Anchorage, USA, May 2003, pp. 1-6.
62. L Sun and E Ifeachor, Perceived Speech Quality Prediction for Voice over IP-based Networks, Proceedings of IEEE ICC, New York, USA, April 2002, pp. 2573-2577.
63. L Sun and E Ifeachor, Subjective and Objective Speech Quality Evaluation under Bursty Losses, Proceedings of On-line Workshop Measurement of Speech and Audio Quality in Networks, Prague, Jan. 2002, pp.25 - 29.
64. L Sun, G Wade, B Lines and E Ifeachor, Impact of Packet Loss Location on Perceived Speech Quality, Proceedings of 2nd IP-Telephony Workshop, Columbia University, New York, April 2001, pp.114-122.
65. L Sun, G Wade, B Lines, D Le Foll and E Ifeachor, VoIP Speech Quality Simulation and Evaluation, Proceedings of the Second International Network Conference, Plymouth, UK, July 2000, pp.157-164.
66. L Sun, G Wade, B Lines, E Ifeachor and D Le Foll End-to-end Speech Quality Analysis for VoIP, Proceedings of IEE 16th UK Teletraffic Symposium on Management of Quality of Service, Harlow, UK, May 2000, pp. 23/1 -- 23/6.
Reports & invited lectures
Invited talk on “Bioprofiling over Grid” at NCAF (Natural Computing Applications Forum) Conference at Aston University, UK 13-14 January 2005.
Invited talk on “VoIP and Voice Quality Measurement”(ppt), Acterna, Plymouth, 4 Feb 2005.
Invited to join Panel on HealthGrid, EGEE-II First Conference, Geneva, Switzerland, 25 Sep 2006.
Invited talk on "Objective Assessment of Speech Quality for VoIP” (pdf), JDSU (previously Acterna), 15 Nov 2006.
Research Group Home page: