Professor Laura Bowater MBE
Head of Peninsula Medical School
Peninsula Medical School (Faculty of Health)
I am Head of Peninsula Medical School. Alongside this, I am also the Non-Executive Director of University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust.
Prior to joining the University, I was Professor of Microbiology Education and Engagement at the Norwich Medical School, as well as Course Director for Medicine with a Gateway Year Programme. I was also the Associate Pro Vice Chancellor for Innovation at UEA, and a Non-Executive Director for the James Paget University Hospital in Great Yarmouth.
I have made contributions to wider society in science communication, microbiology, and antibiotic resistance through public engagement activities and events. I am also a strong advocate for women in STEM. In 2020 I was lucky enough to be awarded an MBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours List for services to research and education in antimicrobial resistance, as recognised in the Queen’s Birthday Honours list.
My research expertise is in the areas of public engagement, science communication, antibiotic resistance and infection prevention and control.
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (2013)
- MA Higher Educational Practice, UEA (2009)
- PhD, University of Dundee (1993): Hydrogen and Nickel Metabolism in Escherichia Coli K12
- MBE for Services to Microbiology Education and Engagement: Queens Birthday Honours List (Recipient), Oct 2020
- Peter Wildy Prize Lecture Microbiology Society (Recipient), Apr 2019
- The Sir Geoffrey and Lady Allen Prize for Excellence in Teaching UEA (Recipient) Jun 2014
- CUE East Award for Public Engagement, UEA (Recipient) Jul 2010
- Council Member for the Microbiology Society (elected 2020)
- Member of the British Society for Antimicrobial Chemotherapy
- Senior Fellow HEA 2017
- Committee member for the Institute for Volunteering Research
Roles on external bodies
- Council member of the Microbiology Society (2020 – Present Day)
- NED University Hospital Plymouth NHS Trust
- Member of the Town Deal Board for Great Yarmouth Borough Council (2019-2022)
- Non-Executive Director James Paget University Hospital 2022
- Reviewer and Moderator for international funding bodies European Horizon 2020 and Horizon Europe
- Evaluator for the UUK Knowledge Exchange Concordat Development Year 2021
- Chair of the Delivery Group for the Institute for Volunteering Research (2019-2022)
- Currently External Examiner for the University of Exeter and the University of Manchester