Dr Kerri Jones
Honorary Associate Professor
Peninsula Medical School (Faculty of Health)
Kerri was a Consultant in Anaesthesia & Critical Care at Torbay Hospital (1990–2016), where she led the development of day surgery, pre-operative assessment and enhanced recovery. She was also Associate Medical Director for Innovation & Improvement and co-established Torbay’s Horizon Centre for Innovation, Education & Research. Her national roles (Department of Health) included promotion of day surgery, 18 week waits, enhanced recovery pathways and patient participation.
From 2009, she developed a major interest in global health and set up a THET Health Partnership with Nanyuki Hospital, Kenya which has extended its work to many other areas in Kenya.
Kerri also co-founded the charity Future Health Africa. The charity:
- runs Trauma Team projects treating traumatic injuries and teaching side-by-side
- designed and delivers two key courses which complement specialty care in both hospital and community locations
– GRASPIT (Global Recognition & Assessment of the Sick Patient & Initial Treatment)
– SPRINGBOARD – a course teaching quality improvement and leadership skills to frontline health workers to help them to improve systems of care for themselves
- delivers maternity training.
Previous workstreams have included emergency medicine, community work and TeamTalk.
Kerri helped to establish the Global Health Collaborative which she now co-chairs and was made an Honorary Associate Professor in 2017. She contributes ad hoc to the masters’ programmes in Healthcare Management, Leadership & Innovation and Global Health including co-supervision of dissertations.
In 2016, she gained a Certificate in International Health Consultancy at the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine.
Kerri’s main personal interest is to ensure that projects are delivered:
- through properly conducted equitable partnerships
- through the local workforce, using quality improvement methods complemented by leadership skills
- with patients’ voices leading the way
- with a commitment to bi-directional learning
Certificate in International Health Consultancy (LSTM)
Roles on external bodies
Other roles (all unpaid)
- Trustee (Chair) of the UK charity Future Health Africa (Reg: 1181182)
- Advisor to the Board of the Society for Quality Healthcare in Kenya (SQHK)
- Honorary Advisor to the Tropical Health and Education Trust (THET)
- Attendance at the All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on Global Health
- Member of the Steering Group of the newly established government-to-government Kenya-UK Health Alliance (KUKHA)