Dr Kate Maslin
Post Doctoral Research Fellow in Women's Health
School of Nursing and Midwifery (Faculty of Health and Human Sciences)
I am a research fellow in the maternal and family health research group. I am a registered dietitian with previous clinical and lecturing experience.
- PhD. Health Sciences: Nutrition and Food Allergy
- MSc. Human Nutrition
- BSc. (Hons.) Dietetics
- BSc. (Hons.) Sport Science and Health
- Registered Dietitian, Health Care Professionals Council.
- British Dietetic Association.
- European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology
- UK Association for the Study of Obesity
Roles on external bodies
- Research Officer for the Paediatric Group of the British Dietetic Association
- Honorary Research Fellow, Musgrove Park Hospital
- Specialist Paediatric Dietitian, Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust
- ADV716: MSc APP Paediatric Dietetics
- SPP701: Substantive Professional Project
- Maternal and early life nutrition
- Childhood food allergy
- Development of food preferences
- Lifecourse nutritional epidemiology
- Dietary assessment methodology
- Maslin K, Venter C, MacKenzie H, Vlieg-Boerstra B, Dean T, Sommer I. (2018) Comparison of nutrient intake in adolescents and adults with and without food allergies. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics. Apr;31(2):209-217.
- Mazzocchi A, Venter C, Maslin K, Agostoni C. (2017) The Role of Nutritional Aspects in Food Allergy: Prevention and Management. Nutrients. Aug 9;9(8). pii: E850.
- Venter C, Maslin K, Grundy J, Glasbey G, Dean T. (2017) Should lip dosing be reconsidered when performing open food challenges? Pediatric Allergy and Immunology. Nov;28(7):707-711.
- Venter C, Mazzocchi A, Maslin K & Agostoni C (2017) Impact of elimination diets on nutrition & growth in children with multiple food allergies. Current Opinion in Allergy & Clinical Immunology. Jun;17(3):220-226.
- Maslin K & Venter C (2017) Nutritional aspects of commercially prepared infant foods in developed countries: a narrative review. Nutrition Research Reviews: Jun;30(1):138-148.
- Venter C, Brown KR, Maslin K, Palmer DJ. (2017) Maternal dietary intake in pregnancy and lactation and allergic disease outcomes in offspring. Pediatric Allergy and Immunology 28(2):135-143.
- Venter C, Maslin K, Dean T, Arshad SH. (2016) Does concurrent breastfeeding alongside the introduction of solid food prevent the development of food allergy? Journal of Nutritional Sciences. 3;5:e40
- Maslin K, Grimshaw K, Oliver E, Roberts G, Arshad SH, Dean T, Grundy J, Glasbey G & Venter C. (2016) Taste preference, food neophobia and nutritional intake in children consuming a cows’ milk exclusion diet: a prospective study. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, 29(6):786-796.
- Maslin K, Dean T, Arshad SH & Venter C. (2016) Dietary variety and food group consumption in children consuming a cows’ milk exclusion diet. Paediatric Allergy and Immunology, 27 (5): 471-7
- Maslin K, Oliver E, Scally K, Atkinson J, Foote K, Venter C, Roberts G & Grimshaw K. (2016) Nutritional adequacy of a cows’ milk exclusion diet in infancy. Clinical and Translational Allergy, 2; 6:20.
- Maslin K (2016) Early additional food and fluids for health breastfed full-term infants: A commentary on a Cochrane review, Nursing for Women’s Health. 20 (4):347-9.
- Maslin K (2016) Commentary on a Cochrane review of diet and exercise interventions to prevent excessive gestational weight gain, Nursing for Women's Health, 20(5):447-449.
- Venter C, Maslin K., Patil V, Kurukulaaratchy R, Grundy J, Glasbey G, Twiselton R, Dean T & Arshad S.H. (2016) The prevalence, natural history and time trends of peanut allergy over the first 10 years of life in two cohorts born in the same geographical location 12 years apart, Pediatric Allergy and Immunology, 27(8):804-811.
- van Zyl Z, Maslin K, Dean T, Blaauw R & Venter C. (2016) The accuracy of dietary recall of infant feeding and food allergen data. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, 29(6):777-785
- Venter C, Maslin K, Arshad SH, Patil V, Grundy J, Glasbey G, Twiselton R & Dean T. (2016) Very low prevalence of IgE mediated wheat allergy and high levels of cross-sensitisation between grass and wheat in a UK birth cohort. Clinical and Translational Allergy, 22; 6:22.
- Venter C & Maslin K. (2016) The Future of Infant and Young Children's Food: Food Supply/Manufacturing and Human Health Challenges in the 21st Century. Nestle Nutr Inst Workshop Ser. 85:19-27.
- Venter C, Maslin K, Patil V, Grundy J, Glasbey G, Abid R, Vlieg-Boerstra B & Dean T. (2016) Validation and Acceptability of Food Challenge Recipes for use in Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Food Challenges in Children. Paediatric Allergy & Immunology 27(1):92-3.
- Maslin K, Dean T, Arshad SH & Venter C. (2015) Fussy eating and feeding difficulties in infants and toddlers consuming a cows’ milk exclusion diet. Paediatric Allergy and Immunology, 26: 503–508.
- Maslin K, Dunn Galvin A, Shepherd S, Dewey A, Dean T & Venter C. (2015) A qualitative study of mothers' perceptions of weaning and the use of commercial infant food in the United Kingdom. Maternal and Paediatric Nutrition Journal, 1:1.
- Maslin K, Brown T & Venter C. (2015) Colic – a guideline emphasising simple measures of support. Nursing in Practice Journal, February 2015.
- Maslin K, Meyer R, Reeves L, Mackenzie H, Swain A, Stuart-Smith W, Loblay R, Groetch M & Venter C. (2014) Food allergy competencies of dietitians in the United Kingdom, Australia and United States of America. Clinical and Translational Allergy. 4:37.
- Maslin K & Venter C. (2013) Developing a clear understanding of cow's milk protein allergy, Journal of Family Health Care; Spring 2013 Supplement, p8.