Dr Juri Na
Peninsula Medical School (Faculty of Health)
Juri graduated from the Seoul National University, South Korea, in 2016 with a PhD in Molecular Imaging and Therapy, Biomedical Sciences. She commenced a PhD under the supervision of Professor June-Key Chung and Hyewon Youn. Her research focused on both molecular imaging and DNA damage repair using gene level modifications.
Juri had worked as a postdoctoral researcher in the Department of Oncology, University of Oxford from 2016 to 2021, working with Professor Anne Kiltie. Her research project is focusing on radiation-related DNA damage repair and function of MRE11 at both the molecular and in vivo level.
Juri has joined PMS within in the Brain Tumour Research Centre of Excellence at University of Plymouth in 2021, working in Professor Oliver Hanemann's group as a research fellow. Her research project is developing radiosensitiser in meningioma.
Postdoctoral Researcher, Department of Oncology, University of Oxford Oxford, UK. 2016-2021
· Investigating genes regulating DNA damage repair
· Developing radiosensitiser (HDACi)
· Cloning and functional characterisation of novel genes regulating radiosensitivity
· Lenti-virus production to establish stable cell line over-expressing target gene
· Analysis of gene and protein expression during development in mutant and wild-type (protein purification with AKTA, nuclease assay, cleavage assay, conventional immuno-blotting study)
· Identification and assessment of different form of MRE11 protein function through molecular biology methods
· Publishing of scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals to support the research programme
· Regular attendance and presenting of results at national and international meetings to publicise and promote the research
Seoul National University, Department of Biomedical Science Seoul, Korea. 2010-2016
Doctor of Philosophy in Biomedical Science
Enhanced efficacy of radiation therapy by the overexpression of chromatin remodelling factor BRG1-Bromodomain
· Using molecular imaging and biology techniques to investigate the role of BRG1 bromodomain (developing radiosensitiser), a chromatin remodelling factor, especially after DNA damage by ionising radiation (PET/CT, Iodine-131, Iodine-125, Cesium-137, Flourine-18-FDG, Carbon-11, Luminescence, Florescence, GFP, MRI, SPECT for either therapy or imaging)
· Gaining expertise in a broad range of molecular and biochemical techniques (Tissue culture including Colon, Brain, Thyroids, Bladder, Breast, Pancreas, Prostate, and Liver cancer cells, primary cell culture from both human and mouse tumour, macrophage, mesenchymal stem cell, transfection for both viral and transient, gene cloning, viral transduction, qPCR, clonogenic assay, comet assay, flow cytometry, senescence beta-gal staining, ELISA, Immunohistochemistry, Western blotting, Immunoprecipitation, cDNA microanalysis, Immunofluorescence, mouse experiment including glioblastoma and hepatocellular carcinoma orthotopic modelling)
· Characterisation of competitive reaction of bromodomain through gene overexpression
· Successful fulfilment of research objectives within grant timelines
· Primary human glioblastoma cell line development (more than 50 cell lines, the name starts with GBM from SNUH)
· Established glioblastoma, and hepatocarcinoma orthotopic model in mouse
· Sodium Iodide symporter reporter modification and characterising to enhance therapeutic effect
· Immunology based experiment for self-renewal and circulation test
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
Teaching Assistant, University of Oxford (2016-2021)
· Delivering practical and tutorial sessions for courses in Molecular Biology and Oncology for 3 different FHS students (Medical Students from university of Oxford), and Erasmus Student
· Responsible for prior-assessment of curriculum, development of suitable resources in collaboration with other presenters, organisation and delivery of sessions and coursework marking and feedback Co-Supervisor, University of Oxford
· Training junior lab members in practical techniques to ensure competence and personal safety
Teaching Assistant, Seoul National University (2010-2016)
· Managing Internship programmes for seniors at undergraduate school for every summer and winter holiday (3 months for each, 13 students in total for six and half years)
· Assisting with the delivery of this pre-designed practical course, helping students to run their experiments and analyse the results
Grants & contracts
· EACR25 Meeting Bursary, The 25th Biennial Congress of European Association for Cancer Research (2018)
· Excellent Oral Presentation Award, The 22nd Annual Meeting of Korean Society of Radiation Bioscience (2016)
· Young Investigator Award/Grants, The 10th Annual Meeting of the Japanese Society for Molecular imaging, Japan (2015)
· Excellent Research Grants, Department of Biomedical Science, Seoul National University, Korea (2015)
· Excellent Oral Presentation Award, Department of Biomedical Science, Seoul National University, Korea (2015)
· Poster Award/Grants, Annual Symposium, Institute of Radiation Medicine, Seoul National University, Korea (2014)
· Young Investigator Award/Grants, The 9th Annual Meeting, Japanese Society for Molecular imaging, Japan (2014)
· Young Investigator’s Award/Grants, The 13th Annual Meeting, Korean Society of Molecular Imaging, Korea (2014)
· Student Travel Stipend/Grants, 2011 Annual Meeting, World Molecular Imaging Congress, USA (2011)
· Research Scholarship from Brain Korea 21 plus (2014, 2012, 2011)
· Lecture & Research Scholarship (2013, 2010)
· Superior Academic Performance (2012, 2010)
Key publications are highlightedJournals
• Juri Na, Joseph A Newman, Chee Kin Then, Junetha Syed, Iolanda Vendrell, Ignacio Torrecilla, Sophie Ellermann, Kristijan Ramadan, Roman Fischer, Anne E Kiltie. SPRTN protease-cleaved MRE11 decreases DNA repair and radiosensitises cancer cells/ Cell Death & Disease (IF; 6.3) 2021 Feb 08, 12:165. Doi.org/10.1038/s41419-021-03437-w
• Kyungmin Kim, Ha Kim, Sung-Hwan Bae, Seok-Yong Lee, Young-Hwa Kim, Juri Na, Chul-hee Lee, Min Sun Lee, Guen Bae Ko, Kyeong Yun Kim, Sang Hee Lee, Jae Ho Jung, In Ho Song, Jin Chul Paeng, Gi Jeong Cheon, Keon Wook Kang, Sang Eun Kim, June-Key Chung, Euishin Edmund Kim, Sun-Ha Paek, Jae Sung Lee, Byung Chul Lee, Hyewon Youn. [18F] CB251 PET/MR imaging probe targeting translocator protein (TSPO) independent of its polymorphism in a neuroinflammation model/ Theragnostics (IF;8.6) 2020 Jul 23; 10(20):9315-9331. doi:10.7150/thno.46875.
• Juri Na *, Alexandra K Walker*, Lisa Browning, Nada Humayun-Zakaria, Maurice P Zeegers, KK Cheng, Nicholas D James, Richard T Bryan, Roland Arnold, Anne E Kiltie**. MRE11A isoform expression associated with outcome following radiotherapy in muscle-invasive bladder cancer does not alter cell survival and DNA double-strand break repair following ionising radiation/ Bladder cancer 2019 Aug 16; 10.3233/BLC-190209, *These authors contributed equally to this work.
• Juri Na†, Jeong-Ju Yoo†, Su Jong Yu†, Kyungmin Kim, Young Youn Cho, Yun Bin Lee, Eun Ju Cho, Jeong-Hoon Lee, Yoon Jun Kim, Hyewon Youn*, and Jung-Hwan Yoon*. Hexokinase-II Inhibition Synergistically Augments the Anti-tumor Efficacy of Sorafenib in Hepatocellular Carcinoma/ International Journal of Molecular Sciences (IF; 3.69) 2019 Mar 14; Article ID Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2019, 20, 1292; doi:10.3390/ijms20061292, † These authors contributed equally to this work.
• Mi Jeong Kim, So Won Oh, Hyewon Youn, Juri Na, Keon Wook Kang, Do Joon Park, Young Joo Park, Ja June Jang, Kyu Eun Lee, Kyeong Cheon Jung, June-Key Chung. Thyroid-Related Protein Expression in the Human Thymus / International Journal of Endocrinology (IF; 2.38) 2017 Mar 2; Article ID 8159892, https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/8159892
• Yi-Rang Na*, Gyo Jung Gu*, Daun Jung, Young Won Kim, Juri Na, Jin Sun Woo, Joo Youn Cho, Hyewon Youn, Seung Hyeok Seok†. GM-CSF induces inflammatory macrophages by regulating glycolysis and lipid metabolism / The Journal of Immunology (IF;4.92) 2016 Nov 15;197(10):4101-4109. DOI: 10.4049/jimmunol.1600745
• Juri Na*, Taemoon Chung*, Young Il Kim, Hyeonjin Kim, Keon Wook Kang, June-Key Chung, Sung-Soo Kim, Haeyoung Suh-Kim, Sun Ha Paek, Hyewon Youn†. Dihydropyrimidine Dehydrogenase is a Prognostic Marker for Mesenchymal Stem Cell Mediated Cytosine Deaminase Gene Therapy in the Glioma Treatment / Theranostics (IF;8.02) 2016 Jun 17;6(10):1477-90. DOI: 10.7150/thno.14158. eCollection 2016.
• Doohyung Lee, Juri Na*, Jihye Ryu*, Hye-Jin Kim*, Seo Hee Nam, Minkyung Kang, Jae Woo Jung, Mi-Sook Lee, Haeng Eun Song, Jungeun Choi, Gyu-Ho Lee, Tai Young Kim, June-Key Chung, Ki Hun Park, Sung-Hak Kim, Hyunggee Kim, Howon Seo, Pilhan Kim, Hyewon Youn, and Jung Weon Lee†. Interaction of Tetraspan(in) TM4SF5 With CD44 Promotes Self-Renewal and Circulating Capacities of Hepatocarcinoma Cells / Hepatology (IF;11.06) 2015 Jun;61(6):1978-97. DOI: 10.1002/hep.27721 (*These authors contributed equally.)
• Juri Na*, Su-Jung Kwon*, Seul-Ki Lee*, Shin-Ai Lee, Han-Sae Lee, Ji-Hye Park, June-Key Chung, Hyewon Youn†, and Jongbum Kwon†. Targeting BRG1 Chromatin Remodeler via Its Bromodomain for Enhanced Tumor Cell Radiosensitivity In Vitro and In Vivo / Molecular Cancer Therapeutics (IF;5.68) 2015, Feb;14(2):597-607, DOI: 10.1158/1535-7163.MCT-14-0372 (*These authors contributed equally to this article.)
• Young-Hwa Kim*, Hyewon Youn*†, Juri Na, Kee-Jong Hong, Keon Wook Kang, Dong Soo Lee, June-Key Chung†. Codon-optimized Human Sodium Iodide Symporter (opt-hNIS) as a Sensitive Reporter and Efficient Therapeutic Gene / Theranostics (IF;8.02) 2015, 5(1): 86-89, DOI: 10.7150/thno.10062
• Kyung Oh Jung*, Hyewon Youn†, Young-Hwa Kim, Seunghoo Kim, Juri Na, Yong-il Kim, Jin Woo Park, Keon Wook Kang, Dong Soo Lee, June-Key Chung†. Relationship between Apoptosis Imaging and Radioiodine Therapy in Tumor Cells with Different Sodium Iodide Symporter Gene Expression / Molecular imaging (IF;2.19) 2014, 14, 1535-3508, DOI: 10.2310/7290.2014.00050