Dr Ji-Jian Chin
Lecturer in Computer Science
School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
Chin Ji Jian graduated from Campbell University with a Bachelor of Science Majoring in Computer Science and Computational Mathematics, earning a rank of Magna Cum Laude. Pursuing his postgraduate studies, he took his Master of Engineering Science and later on his P.h.D. at Multimedia University, specializing in cryptography. He earned an early completion for his doctoral studies as well as a Best Thesis Award in I.T. for his thesis.
A passionate teacher, Ji Jian has surpassed a decade of teaching experience. From the humble beginnings of an IGCSE home tutor during college, his last position was as an associate professor at the Faculty of Computing and Informatics, Multimedia University, before embarking on a life-changing adventure to move to the University of Plymouth. As a Lecturer in Computer Science at the University of Plymouth, Ji Jian continues to guide and share his knowledge the eager young minds of tomorrow.
In his research, Ji Jian has spent more than a decade researching theoretical public key cryptography, specializing in entity and message authentication schemes such as identification and digital signature schemes, with particular interest in designing schemes that do not require certificates.
As such, he has an international publication portfolio consisting of over 50 peer-reviewed proceedings and journals. He has given several invited talks at University Putra Malaysia, Kyushu University and Institute of Systems, Technology and Nanotechnology in Japan. He served as programme committee and peer reviewer for several conferences such as Cryptology conference series in Malaysia and ProvSec, WISA and Asiacrypt conferences. He also served as organizing committee for ProvSec 2010, CANS2010 and MyCrypt 2016.
Eager to bridge the gap between theoretical cryptography and practical computer security, Ji Jian currently focuses his research interests on development and implementation projects such as searchable symmetric encryption and access-control prototypes using mobile devices. Not willing to be conformed to the theoretical aspects of security, he recently earned his CISSP in 2019, and concurrently won a trip to Seoul by acing the TOPCIT South Korean Government ICT exam, earning a Band 3 as well as top scorer for Malaysia for the 2nd exam batch. More recently he received additional certifications from EC Council's Certified Ethical Hacker, AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner as well as COMPTIA CySA+ professional certificates. He also holds 140 Coursera Certificates as well as Top 5 in TryHackMe's leaderboard rank in Malaysia, and is currently holding first place.
An eSports hobbyist, Ji Jian once held an Archon 2 rank (~2300 MMR) on Defense of the Ancients, season 2. He plays on occasion with his colleagues and students, usually taking on the role of support/tank which often entails sacrificing a high K/D/A ratio to support his team in winning the match. His favourite hero pick is the Underlord.
Ph.D in I.T.
Master of Engineering Science
Bachelor of Science (Magna cum Laude)
- ISC2 (CISSP, CCSP, CC)
- AWS Certified Instructor (AWS-CLF,AWS-SAA,AWS-ML, AWS-DVA)
Cybersecurity Fundamentals (2021)
Cybersecurity Theory and Practice (2021)
Database and Cloud Security (2021)
Database Systems (2010-2020)
Object-Oriented Programming with C++ (2015-2017)
Computer Security and Disaster Recovery (2009-2010)
Key publications are highlightedJournals
1. Report on the Phase I Evaluation of Existing Cryptographic Algorithms (AKSA) Considered for MySEAL v1.1, Muhd. Reza Zaba, Shekh Faizal Abd Latip, Norziana Jamil, Chin Ji Jian, Rezal Ariffin, Cybersecurity Malaysia MySEAL, 2017
2. Malaysian Digital Signature Algorithm Proposal: TNC Signature Scheme, Tan Syh Yuan, Ng Tiong Sik, Chin Ji Jian, Multimedia University, Newcastle University, 2019
2. Cryptology 2014
4. ICGHIT 2018
5. ICGHIT 2019
6. CITIC2021 (Deputy Technical Chair)
7. CITIC2022 (Technical Committee)
3. cryptology 2014
1. KSII Transactions of Internet and Information Systems
2. Journal of Systems and Software
3. Security and Communication Networks
4. IEEE Access
5. Designs, Codes and Cryptography
6. International Journal of Communication Systems
7. IET Information Security
8. Journal of Information Security and Applications
9. PLOS One
10. Cryptology 2012,2014
11. IWSEC 2013
12. Asiacrypt 2014, 2020, 2021
13. ProvSec 2014
14. ICISC 2014
15. ICSIPA 2015
16. WISA 2015
17. ACISP 2017
18. ISPEC 2019
19. CITIC 2021
20. CITIC 2022
Online verifiable public profiles
- Orcid: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9809-6976
- Publons: https://publons.com/researcher/1236386/ji-jian-chin/
- ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ji-Jian-Chin-2
- Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com.my/citations?user=TMUX1J0AAAAJ
- TryHackMe: https://tryhackme.com/p/kenobicjj
- Credly: https://www.credly.com/users/ji-jian-chin
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jijian-chin/