Dr Ji-Jian Chin
Lecturer in Computer Science/Games Development
School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
Chin Ji Jian graduated from Campbell University with a Bachelor of Science Majoring in Computer Science and Computational Mathematics, earning a rank of Magna Cum Laude. Pursuing his postgraduate studies, he took his Master of Engineering Science and later on his P.h.D. at Multimedia University, specializing in cryptography. He earned an early completion for his doctoral studies as well as a Best Thesis Award in I.T. for his thesis.
A passionate teacher, Ji Jian has surpassed a decade of teaching experience. From the humble beginnings of an IGCSE home tutor during college, his last position was as an associate professor at the Faculty of Computing and Informatics, Multimedia University, before embarking on a life-changing adventure to move to the University of Plymouth. As a Lecturer in Computer Science at the University of Plymouth, Ji Jian continues to guide and share his knowledge the eager young minds of tomorrow.
In his research, Ji Jian has spent more than a decade researching theoretical public key cryptography, specializing in entity and message authentication schemes such as identification and digital signature schemes, with particular interest in designing schemes that do not require certificates.
As such, he has an international publication portfolio consisting of over 50 peer-reviewed proceedings and journals. He has given several invited talks at University Putra Malaysia, Kyushu University and Institute of Systems, Technology and Nanotechnology in Japan. He served as programme committee and peer reviewer for several conferences such as Cryptology conference series in Malaysia and ProvSec, WISA and Asiacrypt conferences. He also served as organizing committee for ProvSec 2010, CANS2010 and MyCrypt 2016.
Eager to bridge the gap between theoretical cryptography and practical computer security, Ji Jian currently focuses his research interests on development and implementation projects such as searchable symmetric encryption and access-control prototypes using mobile devices. Not willing to be conformed to the theoretical aspects of security, he recently earned his CISSP in 2019, and concurrently won a trip to Seoul by acing the TOPCIT South Korean Government ICT exam, earning a Band 3 as well as top scorer for Malaysia for the 2nd exam batch. More recently he received additional certifications from EC Council's Certified Ethical Hacker, AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner as well as COMPTIA CySA+ professional certificates. He also holds 140 Coursera Certificates as well as Top 5 in TryHackMe's leaderboard rank in Malaysia, and is currently holding first place.
An eSports hobbyist, Ji Jian once held an Archon 2 rank (~2300 MMR) on Defense of the Ancients, season 2. He plays on occasion with his colleagues and students, usually taking on the role of support/tank which often entails sacrificing a high K/D/A ratio to support his team in winning the match. His favourite hero pick is the Underlord.
- 20 years of teaching experience (since 2003) with 16 years as an academic at Multimedia University. Final position as Associate Professor in Computing.
- Programme Coordinator for the Cybersecurity Specialization for Bachelor of Computer Science.
- 101 peer-reviewed publications in various journals and conferences to date. 11 copyrights filed and 2 policy papers written for Malaysian National Security Council.
- Successfully supervised and seen to completion 3 master and 1 PhD students, and in addition 19 bachelor final year project students.
- Involved in 21 research projects totaling MYR 3,855,413 (GBP711530.06), with 8 of them as principal investigator totaling MYR 487,315 (GBP throughout my career. In addition, I have also completed 5 industrial grants on various cryptographic topics.
- Served on the MySEAL national advisory team for 5 years as Focus Group member and Team Leader for Asymmetric Ciphers which evaluates Malaysia’s use of ciphers for government purposes
- Awards won: TM VP Business Award, Best Thesis Award, TOPCIT Highest Achiever Malaysia, MDEC PDTI First Place 2021
School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics, University of Plymouth - Lecturer 2022 - Present
Development, teaching and assessment of IT subjects for computer science students. Currently doing COMP2003 and scheduled for Games-related subjects.Faculty of Computing and Informatics, Multimedia University - Associate Professor 2021 - 2022
Development, teaching and assessment of IT subjects for computer science students. Courses include Cybersecurity Fundamentals.
Faculty of Engineering, Multimedia University - Lecturer 2009-2015, Senior Lecturer 2015-2021
Development, teaching and assessment of IT subjects for engineering students. Courses include Programming in C, Data Structures and Algorithms, Object-Oriented Programming in C++, Security and Cryptography, Database Systems and Operating Systems
Assistant Lecturer 2006-2009
Teaching and coursework assessment for IT subjects for engineering students.
Tunku Abdul Rahman College, Pahang Branch Campus
Foundation Course Lecturer 2005-2006 Development, teaching and assessment for certificate and diploma level students.
Multimedia University, Malaysia
Ph.D in I.T. (Best Thesis Award by MMU) 2011-2015
Design and Analysis of Identification Schemes without Certificates
Multimedia University, Malaysia
Master of Engineering Science 2006-2009
A Study on Identity-Based Identification Schemes
Campbell University, North Carolina, USA
Bachelor of Science (Magna cum Laude) 2001-2005
Majoring in Computer Science and Computational Mathematics
Final Year Project: Design of an Online Interactive Church Website
Final Year Math Seminar: Game Theory
- International Association for Cryptology Research (IACR)
- Malaysian Society for Cryptology Research (MSCR)
- MySEAL AKSA Evaluation Committee Member 2015-2020: Asymmetric Primitives Team Leader
- MySEAL AKBA Evaluation Committee Member 2015-2020: Team Leader for Evaluators for ATAN signature scheme
- MySEAL AKSA Technical Report Committee Member 2020: Team Leader of Asymmetric Primitives
- ISC2 Malaysian Chapter (CISSP)
- MBOT Professional Technologist (Cybersecurity)
- EC Council Member (CEH)
- COMPTIA Member (CYSA+)
- AWS Certified Instructor (AWS-CLF,AWS-SAA,AWS-ML, AWS-DVA)
Roles on external bodies
Cybersecurity Malaysia MySEAL Programme (2016-2020)
Leader for asymmetric cryptography group for both MySEAL new (AKBA) and existing (AKSA) algorithm programmes. Review ciphers and recommend for government use. https://myseal.cybersecurity.my/en/index.html
MIMOS Berhad, Information Security Lab, Visiting Researcher Jul-Nov 2020
Creation of contact tracing prototype that is provable secure both computationally and symbolically (using proverif).
1. Bachelor of Computer Science - Cybersecurity Fundamentals (2021)
2. Bachelor of Computer Science – Cybersecurity Theory and Practice (2021)
3. Bachelor of Computer Science – Database and Cloud Security (2021)
4. Bachelor of Computer Science – Cryptography (2021)
5. Master of Engineering (Telecommunications) – Network Security
6. Bachelor of Engineering majoring in Computer Engineering - Database Systems (2010-2020)
7. Bachelor of Engineering majoring in Computer Engineering – Object-Oriented Programming with C++ (2015-2017)
8. Bachelor of Engineering majoring in Computer Engineering – Computer Security and Disaster Recovery (2009-2010)
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
1. 2017 – Now: Chan Wai Kok (PhD – Eng)(Thesis submitted). Thesis: Scalable Privacy Blockchain with Alternative Consensus Mechanism
2. 2018 – Now: Moesfa Soeheila Mohamad (PhD –IT)(Ongoing)
3. 2017 – 2020: Apurva Kiran Vangujar (M.Eng.Sc)(Completed 2020). Thesis: Multiparty Identification Schemes without Certificates
4. 2016 – 2018: Ng Tiong Sik (co-supervising) (Completed 2018). Thesis: Design of Tight Security Reduction for Signature Schemes
5. 2019 – Now: Koa Chong Gee (Phd - IT) (co-supervising)(Ongoing)
6. 2020 - Now: Kho Xun Ying (M.Sc)(co-supervising)(Ongoing)
7. 2020 - Now: Darveen Selvarajah (M.Sc)(Withdrew)
8. 2020 - Now: Raadhesh Kannan (M.Eng.Sc.)(Ongoing)
9. 2020 - Now: Hue Sook Yan (M.Sc.)(Withdrew)
10. 2020 - Now: Tyler Cheng Yun Quan (M.Eng.Sc)(co-supervising)(Ongoing)
11. 2021 - 2022: Jason Chia (M.Eng.Sc)(Completed). Thesis: Identity-Based identification Schemes and Extensions with Tight Security
12. 2022 - 2023: Terry Lau (Postdoc). Project: Deployment of Cryptographic Primitives for Web 3.0.
Final Year Project (Undergraduate)
1. 2022 – Phang Nan Fa: E-Marketplace for Healthcare Services for Pharmacists
2. 2021 - Ernest Yap: Researching Key Exchange Mechanisms
3. 2020 – Cheng Yun Quan: Simulator Prototype for Driving Education
4. 2020 – Raadesh Kaanan: Exploring Adversarial Machine Learning
5. 2020 – Chia Jason: Design and Analysis for an Identity-Based Identification Scheme with Tight Security
6. 2019 – Adi Zafran: Development of a Telegram Chat Bot (Company project with Juris Technologies)
7. 2018 – Chin Wai Kit and Tan Jun Ren: Extension for Door Lock System with Hierarchical Identity-Based Identification with Facial Recognition
8. 2017 – Husam Alwadhi: Juris Employee Portal (Company project with Juris Technologies)
9. 2016 – Sia Poo Sze: Hosting of Malaysia Choropleth(ITEX Silver Medal)
10. 2015 – Ng Tiong Sik, Yeo Kai Zhen, Wong Wai Choong: Secure Digital Medical Certificate System(ITEX Gold Medal)
11. 2014 – Teh Thong Yun, Lee Yik Shu, Cheah Zi Yik: Door Lock System with Hierarchical Identity-Based Identification. (ITEX Silver Medal)
12. 2013 – Anthony Busulwa Joseph, Liew Wei Jong: Implementation of Identitiy -Based Cryptosystem on Various Platforms.
13. 2013 – Qistina Tajuddin: An Online Student Registration System: Postgraduate Program. (IEEE-FOE 3rd Best FYP Award for IT).
14. 2012 – Siow Jee Foo: An Online Student Registration System.
15. 2012 – Lim Hui Ying, Yong Kuet Tai: An Online Food Catering System.
16. 2011 – Kang Kai Woei: Research Into Certificate-less Signature Schemes
17. 2011 – Tan Chuen Yuan, Ng Kok Fui: An Online Business Content Management and Transaction Gateway System
18. 2010 – Glen Ooi Zee Win, Rommel Ling Chuen Mao: A Web-based Venue Booking System
19. 2010 – Mohd. Fahmi Fazreen Hanafi, Mohd Izuan Mustaffa: An Online Paper Submission System with Identity-Based Digital Signature Verification
Grants & contracts
1. "Design of an Efficient and Provably Secure ID-based Identification Scheme in the Standard Model", MMU Internal Fund, University Grant, 2007-2008. (RM1,740) (GBP 325)
2. “Hierarchical Identity-Based Identification Schemes”, Fundamental Research Grant Scheme, National Grant, Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia, 2009-2011 (RM34,000)(GBP 5978)
3. “Exploring Efficient Certificateless Identification Schemes”, Exploratory Research Grant Scheme, National Grant, Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia, 2011-2014. (RM72,000)(GBP 13451)
4. “Reset-Secure Identity-Based Identification Schemes”, Fundamental Research Grant Scheme, National Grant, Ministry of Education, Malaysia, 2013-2015. (RM85,000)(GBP 15880)
5. "Multiparty Identification Schemes without Certificates", MMU Graduate Research Assistant Fund, University Grant, 2017-2018. (RM63,000)(GBP 11770)
6. "Multiparty Identification Schemes without Certificates", Fundamental Research Grant Scheme, National Grant, Ministry of Education, Malaysia, 2019 and ongoing. (RM160,450)(GBP 29976)
7. "PPV Data Entry Automation Project", MMU IR Fund, University Grant, Multimedia University, 2021 (RM5000)(GBP 934).
8. “Deployable Cryptographic Primitives for Web 3.0”, MMU Postdoc Fund, Multimedia University (RM68125)(GBP 12727).
1. Analysis, Design and Development On MI-Signet (MY Digital ID) Platform Of MIMOS BERHAD, Malaysia, MIMOS Berhad, 2019-2020 (RM 49687.5)(GBP 9282.62)
2. Instructional Material and Training Services for Code Central Department, Juris Technologies 2017 (RM 37,100)(GBP 6931.03)
3. Development of a Physical Access Control Prototype for Unified Authentication Platform, Security Group, MIMOS Berhad. 2016 (RM 49,184)(GBP 9189.56)
4. Development of a MultiServer Searchable Encryption System, Security Group, MIMOS Berhad. 2016 (RM 49,820)(GBP 9307.38)
5. Development of a Certificateless Public Key Cryptographic Authentication for Unified Authentication Platform, Security Group, MIMOS Berhad. 2015 (RM 49,900)(GBP 9322.32)
1. "Design of an Efficient and Provable Secure ID-Based Identification Scheme in the Standard Mode", e-Science Fund, National Grant, MOSTI, Malaysia, 2007-2008 (RM57,500)(GBP 10742.16)
2. "Provably Secure Searchable Proxy Re-Encryption Schemes", Fundamental Research Grant Scheme, National Grant, Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia, 2012-2014. (RM57,000)(GBP 10648.74)
3. "Privacy Preserving Data Storage and Retrieval System in Cloud Computing (Priv-Cloud)", TM R&D Fund, Industrial Grant, TM, 2013-2014. (RM146,957)(GBP 27454.52)
4. "Ubiquitous Awareness in Adversely Subtle Situations (UBEAWARE)", TM R&D Fund, Industrial Grant, TM, 2013-2014. (RM785,484)(GBP 146744.19)
5. "Provably Secure Models, Schemes and Proofs for Adversarial Processes", Fundamental Research Grant Scheme, National Grant, Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia, 2014-2015. (RM68,300)(GBP 12759.81)
6. "Design and Analysis of a Certificate-Free Privacy Preserving Signature Scheme", Fundamental Research Grant Scheme, National Grant, Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia, 2014-2016. (RM72,000)(GBP 13451.05)
7. "Tight Security Reduction Techniques for Cryptography Primitives",Fundamental Research Grant Scheme, National Grant, Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia, 2015-2017. (RM62,200)(GBP 11620.21)
8. "Dynamic Difficulty Adjustment Scheme with Learning Approaches for Blockchain Proof-of-Work Protocols", MMU Internal Fund, University Grant, 2018-2019 (RM24,120)(GBP 4451.43)
9. "Design and Analysis of Transformation Framework for Cryptographic Electronic Systems", Fundamental Research Grant Scheme, National Grant, Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia, 2018 ongoing. (RM100,000)(GBP 18682.01)
10. "Hybrid Public Key Infrastructure: A Combination of Conventional and Identity-Based Setting", Prototype Researach Grant Scheme, National Grant, Ministry of Education, Malaysia, 2019 ongoing. (RM53000)(GBP 9901.46)
11. "Promoting Self-directed learning system through constructivists learning environment using Virtual Reality", TMR&D Fund, Industrial Grant, TM, 2019-2021. (RM420,735)(GBP 78601.75)
12. "IoT SECURITY ANALYSIS AND IoT CONNECTION BASED ON LORA-WAN/NB-IoT/4G", RIPHEN, 2021 (RM70000)(GBP 13077.41)
13. “Cryptographically Secure Cloud-Based Infrastructure (CryptCloud)”, TM R&D Fund, Industrial Grant, TM, 2022-2025 (RM1,055,130)(GBP 197119.48)
Key publications are highlightedJournals
1. Chin, J. J., Heng, S.-H. and Goi, B.M., "An efficient and provable secure identity-based identification scheme in the standard model", LNCS, 16-17 June, 2008, Trondheim,Norway, 60-75. (Scopus)
2. Chin, J. J., Heng, S.-H. and Goi, B.M., "Developments in Identity-based Identification", Cryptology 2008, 9-12 June, 2008, Putra World Trade Center, Kuala Lumpur.
3. Tan, S. Y., Chin, J. J., Heng, S.-H., Goi, B.M. and Moon,S., "Java implementation for identity-based identification", Cryptology 2008, 01 June, 2008, Putra World Trade Center, Kuala Lumpur.
4. Chin, J. J., Goi, B.M., Heng, S.-H., "Hierarchical identity-based identification schemes", SECTECH 2009, 10-12 December, 2009, Jeju Island, Korea, 93-99. (Scopus)
5. Hanafi, M.F.F. and Chin, J.J., "A Survey of Identity-Based Signature Schemes", Cryptology 2010, 29 June-1 July, 2010, Melaka, Malaysia.
6. Heng, S.-H. and Chin, J.J., "A k-Resilient Identity-Based Identification Scheme in the Standard Model", Cryptology 2010, 29 June-1 July, 2010, Melaka, Malaysia.
7. Chin, J. J. and Heng, S. H., "An Adaptive-Secure k-Resilient Identity-Based Identification Scheme in the Standard Model", FTRA-ACSA Summer 2012, 26-28 June, 2012, Sheraton Hotel, Vancouver, Canada.
8. Chin, J. J. and Heng, S. H., "Security Upgrade for a k-Resilient Identity-Based Identification Scheme in the Standard Model", Cryptology 2012, 4-6 June, 2012, Holiday Villa Beach Resort, Langkawi, Malaysia, 136-142,.
9. Kang, K. W. and Chin, J. J., "A Survey and Implementation of Certificateless Signature Schemes", Cryptology 2012, 4-6 June, 2012, Holiday Villa Beach Resort, Langkawi, Malaysia, 156-164.
10. Chin, J. J., Heng, S. H. and Phan, R., "An efficient and provable secure security-mediated identity-based identification scheme", AsiaJCIS 2013, 25-26 July, 2013, Korean Institute of Information Security Center, Seoul, South Korea, 27-32,IEEE Xplore.
11. Chin, J. J., Heng, S. H., Phan, R. and Behnia, R., "An Efficient and Provably Secure Certificateless Identification Scheme.", SECRYPT 2013, 29-30 July, 2013, Reyjkavik University, Reyjkavik, Iceland, 371-378,SECRYPT 2013.
12. Chin, J. J., Tan, S. Y., Heng, S. H. and Phan, R., "Twin-Schnorr: Improving Active and Concurrent Security for the Schnorr Identity-Based Identification Scheme", FTRA-ACSA 2014, 23-25 April, 2014, Lotte Hotel, Jeju, South Korea.
13. Chin, J. J., Tan, S. Y., Kam, Y. H. S. and Leong, C., "Implementation of identity-based and certificateless identification on android platform", Cryptology 2014, 24-26 June, 2014, The Everly, Putrajaya, Malaysia, 57-64,4. (Scopus)
14. Chin, J. J., Anada, H., Arita, S., Sakurai, K., Heng, S. H. and Phan, R., "Survey and new idea for attribute-based identification scheme secure against reset attacks", Cryptology 2014, 24-26 June, 2014, The Everly, Putrajaya, Malaysia, 39-47,4. (Scopus)
15. Tan, S. Y., Chin, J. J. and Mohamad, M. S., "Security and efficiency analysis of a certificateless encryption scheme based on chebyshev polynomial", ICFCNA 2014, 3-5 November, 2014, Sunway Resort Hotel & Spa, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
16. Salam, M. I., Yau, W. C., Chin, J. J., Heng, S. H., Ling, H. C., Phan, R., Poh, G. S., Tan, S. Y. and Yap, W., "PrivCloud: Privacy Preserving Data Storage and Retrieval System in Cloud Computing", The 2014 International Conference on Advanced Information Technology and Services (InfoTech 2014), 16-18 October, 2014, Taipei, Taipei, Taiwan. Publication forwarded to HCIS journal.
17. Chin, J. J., Anada, H. and Tan S. Y., "A Commitment Scheme based on Chebyshev Polynomials", SCIS2015, Kokura, Japan, 20-23 January 2015.
18. Teh, T.Y., Lee, Y.S., Cheah, Z.Y. and Chin, J.J.,"A Client-Server Prototype of a Symmetric Key Searchable Encryption Scheme Using Open-Source Applications", ICITCS 2015, 24-27 August, 2015, Double Tree Hilton, Kuala Lumpur. IEEE Xplore.
19. Tan, S. Y., Chin, J. J., Poh, G.S., Kam, H.S.Y, and Yau, W.C., "A Prototype to Facilitate Access Control Using Identity-Based Identification on Mobile Smart Devices", ICITCS 2015, 24-27 August, 2015, Double Tree Hilton, Kuala Lumpur. IEEE Xplore.
20. Cheah, Z.Y.,Y.S., Teh, T.Y., Lee and Chin, J.J.," Simulation of a pairing-based identity-based identification scheme in IOS", ICSIPA 2015, 19-21 October, 2015, Pullman Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur. IEEE Xplore.
21. Chin, J. J., Anada, H. and Tan, S. Y., "Reset-secure identity-based identification schemes without pairings", ProvSec 2015, 24-26 November, 2015, Hotel Tokyu, Kanazawa, Japan, 227-246,9451. (Scopus)
22. Kam, Y. H. S., Chin, J. J. and Tan, S. Y., "The schnorr-suite: simulation of pairing-free identity-based identification schemes using java", SEKEIE 2015, 28-30 November, 2015, Keio Plaza Hotel, Tokyo, Japan, 13-18,3.
23. Tan, S. Y., Chin, J. J. and Behnia, R., "Cryptanalysis of Two Identification Schemes", ICISS 2015, 14-16 December, 2015, Seoul Garden Hotel, Seoul, Korea, IEEE Xplore.
24. Mohamad, M. S., Poh, G.S., and Chin, J. J., "Securing Data on Outsourced Multistorage Repository", Cryptology 2016, 31 May -2 June, 2016, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia. (Scopus)
25. Wong, W.C., Ng, T.S., and Chin, J. J., "Implementation of a Pairing-Based Identity-Based Signature on iPhones", Cryptology 2016, 31 May -2 June, 2016, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia. (Scopus)
26. Poh, G.S., Mohamad, M.S., and Chin, J.J., “Searchable Symmetric Encryption Over Multiple Servers”, ArcticCrypt 2016, 17-22 July, 2017, Svalbard, Norway.
27. Mohamad, M.S., Chin, J.J., and Poh, G.S., “On the security advantages of block-based multiserver searchable symmetric encryption”, PST2016, 12-14 December 2016, Auckland New Zealand. IEEE Xplore.
28. Ng., T.S., Tan, S.Y., and Chin, J.J.,” A Variant of BLS Signature With Tight Reduction”, EAI-MONAMI 2017,13-15 Dec 2017, Melbourne, Australia.
29. Ng., T.S., Tan, S.Y., and Chin, J.J., “A variant of Schnorr signature scheme with tight security reduction”, ICTC 2017, 18-20 October 2017 Jeju, Korea.
30. Ng., T.S., Tan, S.Y., and Chin, J.J., “A variant of BLS signature scheme with tight security reduction”, Mobile Networks and Management - Lecture Notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering, pp.150-163, 235(1), 2018.(Scopus)
31. Mohamad, M.S., Chin, J.J., and Tan. S.Y.,” Searchable symmetric encryption: defining strength against query recovery attacks”, Cryptology 2018 , 9-11 July 2018, Port Dickson, Malaysia. (Scopus)
32. Vangujar, A.K, Chin, J.J, and Tan S.Y., “Hierarchical Twin-Schnorr Identity-Based Identification Scheme”, Cryptology 2018, 9-11 July 2018, Port Dickson, Malaysia. (Scopus)
33. Tan, J.R., Chin, W.K., Chin, J.J., and Goh, V.T., "Seamless Personnel Authentication using Facial Recognition and Identity-Based Identification on Mobile Devices", International Conference on Advanced Science, Engineering, and Technology, 20-21 March 2019, Multimedia University, Cyberjaya, Malaysia.
34. Ng. T.S., Tan, S.Y., and Chin, J.J., "Improving Signature Schemes with Tight Security Reductions", In Proceedings of ISPEC 2019, 26-28 November 2019, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, LNCS, Vol 11879, 273-292, Springer.
35. Chin, J.J., Kam, Y. H.S., Goh, V.T., "Vulnerabilities in Online Food Ordering Website", In Proceedings of ACeS2019, 30 July - 1 August 2019, Penang, Malaysia, CCIS, Vol 1132, 350-357, Springer.
36. Chan, W.K., Chin, J.J., Goh, V.T.,"Proof of bid as alternative to proof of work", In Proceedings of ACeS2019, 30 July - 1 August 2019, Penang, Malaysia, CCIS, Vol 1132, 60-73, Springer.
37. Vangujar, A.K., Ng, T.S., Chin, J.J., and Yip, S.C., "Group Identity-Based Identification: Definitions and Construction", Cryptology 2020, 9-10 Jun 2020, Vol 7, 53-64, INSPEM.
38. Chin, J.J., and Mohamad, M.S., "Security of Rabin-p Key Encapsulation Mechanism", Cryptology 2020, 9-10 Jun 2020,Vol 7, 1-9, INSPEM.
39. Koa, C.G., Heng, S.H., Tan, S.Y., and Chin, J.J., "Review of Blockchain-Based Public Key Infrastructure", Cryptology 2020, 9-10 Jun 2020, Vol 7, 20-31, INSPEM.
40. Mohamad, M.S., and Chin, J.J., "Improved Indistinguishability for Searchable Symmetric Encryption", In Proceedings of ProvSec 2020, 29 Nov - 1 Dec 2020, Singapore, LNCS, Vol 12505, pp. 190-212, Springer.
41. Chia, J., and Chin, J.J., "Evaluating Pairing-Free Identity-Based Identification Using Curve25519", In Proceedings of ACeS2020, 8-10 Dec 2020, University Sains Malaysia, Penang, Communications in Computer and Information Science, Vol 1347, pp. 179-193, Springer.
42. Hue, S.Y., Sarmin, N, H, Ismail, E.S., and Chin, J.J., "Easy Simple Factoring-based Digital Signature Scheme", In Proceedings of ICITST2020, 8-10 Dec 2020, United Kingdom, IEEE Xplore, https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/9351341
43. Kannan, R., Chin, J.J., and Guo, X.N., "Adversarial Evasion Noise Attacks Against TensorFlow Object Detection API", In Proceedings of ICITST2020, 8-10 Dec 2020, United Kingdom, IEEE Xplore https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/9351331.
44. Chan, W.K., Chin, J.J., and Goh, V.T., "Evolution of Bitcoin Addresses from Security Perspectives", In Proceedings of ICITST2020, 8-10 Dec 2020, United Kingdom, IEEE Xplore
45. Selvarajah, D., Selvarajah, V., and Chin, J.J.,"JKalvi: An E-Learning Game Approach", In Proceedings of ICCST2020, 29-30 August 2020, Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, Vol 724, pp. 527-535, Springer.
46. Yap Y.Y.E.,Chin, J.J., and Goh, A., "Verifying MQV-Based Protocols using ProVerif", In Proceedings of ICITCS2021, 15-17 May 2021, Seoul, Korea, Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, Springer. (Scopus)
47. Yap Y.Y.E., Chin, J.J., Chia, J., and Goh, A., "Efficient Implementations of MQV-Based Protocols on Client-Server Architectures", ICCST2021, Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, vol 835, pp. 195-206, Springer. (Scopus)
48. Cheng, Y.Q., Mansor, S., Chin, J.J., and Karim, H.A., "Exploitation of current game technology for driving education with AI techniques and VR", Presented at CITIC 2021. Publication forwarded to F1000Research.
49. Chia, J., Chin, J.J., and Yip, S.C.,"The Good, The Bad, and The Broken: A Review on Digital Signature
Schemes with Strong Existential Unforgeability", Presented at CITIC 2021. Publication forwarded to F1000Research.
50. Moesfa., Chin, J.J., and Tan, S.Y., "Boneh-Boyen Identity-Based Signature", Presented at CITIC 2021.
51. Ernest, Y.Y. Yap, Chin, J.J., and Goh, A., "Chronological Encyclopedia of Key Establishment Protocols and Models", Presented at ICREM9. Publication forwarded to MJMS.
52. Yau, W.C., Yap. W.S., and Chin, J.J., "On the Security of a Non-Interactive Authenticated Key Agreement over Mobile Communication Networks", Presented at ICREM9. Publication forwarded to MJMS.
53. Cheng, Y.Q., Mansor, S., Chin, J.J., and Karim, H.A., "Driving Simulator for Drivers Education with Artificial Intelligence Traffic and Virtual Reality: A Review", ICCST2021, Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, vol 835, pp. 483-494, Springer. (Scopus)
54. Chan, W.K., Chin, J.J., and Goh, V.T., "CoinChain: Effective Coin Mixing Tool for Anonymous CryptoCurrency", ICCST2021, Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, vol 835, pp. 647-659, Springer. (Scopus)
55. Chia, J., Chin, J.J., and Yip, S.C.,"Pluggable Authentication Module Meets Identity-based Identification", ACeS2021, Communications in Computer Science, Vol 1487, pp. 155-175, Springer. (Scopus)
56. Chia, J., Chin, J.J., and Yip, S.C.,"OrBit: OR-Proof Identity-Based Identification with Tight Security for (as low as) 1-bit Loss", ProvSec 2021, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol 13059, pp. 116-135, Springer (Scopus).
57. Kam., H.S.Y., Chin, J.J., “Authentication Methods that use Haptic and Audio: A Review”, To appear in the proceedings of Cryptology 2022, UPM Press. (In press).
58. Cheng, Y.Q., Mansor, S., Chin, J.J., and Karim, H.A., " Exploration & Showcase of FSMs & HFSMs Traffic in Educational Driving Simulator", To appear in the proceedings of ICCST 2022. (In press).
59. Tee, Z.L., Kam., H.S.Y., Chin, J.J., “Kam., H.S.Y., Chin, J.J., “Authentication Methods that use Haptic and Audio: A Review”, To appear in the proceedings of CITIC 2022,MMU Press. (In press).
60. Maran, P., Yap, T.Z.V, Chin, J.J., Ng, H., Goh, V.T., Tham, Y.K., “Comparison of machine learning models for IoT malware classification”, To appear in the proceedings of CITIC 2022, MMU Press. (In press).
61. Low. ,M.X., Yap, T.Z.V, Ng, H., Goh, V.T., Chin, J.J., Tham, Y.K., “Comparison of Label Encoding and Evidence Counting for Malware Classification”, To appear in the proceedings of CITIC 2022, MMU Press. (In press).
1. Report on the Phase I Evaluation of Existing Cryptographic Algorithms (AKSA) Considered for MySEAL v1.1, Muhd. Reza Zaba, Shekh Faizal Abd Latip, Norziana Jamil, Chin Ji Jian, Rezal Ariffin, Cybersecurity Malaysia MySEAL, 2017
2. Malaysian Digital Signature Algorithm Proposal: TNC Signature Scheme, Tan Syh Yuan, Ng Tiong Sik, Chin Ji Jian, Multimedia University, Newcastle University, 2019
1. R&D Content Management System & Industrial Training Programme Management System Manuals 24/11/2011
2. R&D Content Management System and Industrial Training Management System Source Code 24/11/2011
3. BLS-IBI Identity-Based Identification Simulator Source Code 6/5/2014
4. CHG-IBI Identity-Based Identification Simulator Source Code 6/5/2014
5. IdPairXCert - A Certificateless Identification Simulator Source Code 6/5/2014
6. KH-IBI-stm Identity-Based Identification Simulator Source Code 6/5/2014
7. Door Lock App with Identity-Based Identification Scheme and IoS Simulator For Pairing-Based Identity-Based Identification Scheme Source Code 19/5/2015
8. An Online Digital Medical Certificate System using Identity-Based Signature Source Code, Database and Manual 11/5/2016
9. Malaysia Choropleth User Manual and Source Code 9/5/2017
10. A Cryptographic Library for Pairing-Free Identity-based Identification Schemes Source Code 30/3/2021
11. Driving Simulator for Driving Education Source Code 1/5/2021
Reports & invited lectures
Professional and Corporate TRAININGS
1. IS Awareness Module for SL1M, PUSB, TM Protege and ELiT Upskilling programme - Cnergy 2018-2022 (around 30 cohorts)
2. TM Digital Enhancement Training, Information Security Awareness – Cnergy/TM 2022 (3 cohorts)
3. DNS Security for MAMPU-Cnergy 2018
4. Network Security Training, MAMPU-Cnergy. 2017
5. AA_Beta-Public Key Cryptosystem, INSPEM, Universiti Putra Malaysia. 2012
INVITED TALKS, Workshops and Volunteer work
1) Chin, J. J.(2014).Certificateless Identification Schemes: Definitions and Constructions:MMU-Kyushu MoU Lectures,Kyushu University.
2) Chin, J. J.(2015).Cryptosystems based on Chebyshev Polynomials:IMI Crypto Seminar, Kyushu University.
3) Chin, J. J.(2015).Certificateless Identification Schemes:Malaysian Cryptology and Information Security Lecture Series 2015,Universiti Putra Malaysia.
4) Chin, J. J.(2015).Reset-Secure Identity-Based Identification Schemes without Pairings:IMI Cryptography Seminar,IMI Kyushu University.
5) Chin, J. J.(2015).Multi-prover Identification Schemes: Motivations, Security Models and Constructions:Lecture at Institute of Systems, Information Technologies and Nanotechnologies (ISIT), Japan.
6) Chin, J.J.(2015). Pairing-based Cryptosystems and Implementations Workshop: Lecture and workshop at MIMOS, Malaysia.
7) Chin,J.J. (2016). AES and TLS Fundamentals for Door Lock Prototype: Lecture and workshop at MIMOS, Malaysia.
8) Chin. J.J. (2020). Software Security and Testing Methodologies. MHUB Malaysia. Corporate sharing on cybersecurity and software testing methods for MHUB company.
9) Chin. J.J. (2020). Digital Safety for Students. Digital safety workshop for school students at Aletheia Resource Center and CBC Learning Center. (Volunteer workshop for school children)
10) Chin, J.J. (2021). Identification Schemes without Certificates. Invited talk for Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman’s Center for Cybersecurity.
11) Chin. J.J. (2021). AWS Cloud Security Invited sharing session at ISC2 Malaysian Chapter.
12) Chin. J.J. (2022). Migrating to the Cloud: Benefits and Risks at IEM Malaysia.
2. Cryptology 2014
4. ICGHIT 2018
5. ICGHIT 2019
6. CITIC2021 (Deputy Technical Chair)
7. CITIC2022 (Technical Committee)
3. cryptology 2014
1. KSII Transactions of Internet and Information Systems
2. Journal of Systems and Software
3. Security and Communication Networks
4. IEEE Access
5. Designs, Codes and Cryptography
6. International Journal of Communication Systems
7. IET Information Security
8. Journal of Information Security and Applications
9. PLOS One
10. Cryptology 2012,2014
11. IWSEC 2013
12. Asiacrypt 2014, 2020, 2021
13. ProvSec 2014
14. ICISC 2014
15. ICSIPA 2015
16. WISA 2015
17. ACISP 2017
18. ISPEC 2019
19. CITIC 2021
20. CITIC 2022
Other academic activities
CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE MULTIMEDIA UNIVERSITY AND COMMUNITY
1. 2022 – Programme Coordinator for Cybersecurity
2. 2008-2020 – Web development leader for Faculty of Engineering’s homepage
3. 2015-2020 – Final year project committee member (representative for computer engineering)
4. 2010-2017 – developer and consultant for research management center’s web application
5. 2020-current – Amazon Web Services university contact person for students, staff, certification exams and training
6. 2018-now – Awareness of cybersecurity trainer
7. 2015- current – trainer for USAINS and Provenpac on web development technologies
8. 2021 – thesis writing workshop for Institute of Postgraduate Studies
9. 2020 – 2021 – headed the taskforce to establish a new diploma programme: Diploma in Digital Enterprise for the Faculty of Engineering.
10. 2006-2022 – conduct industrial training interviews with various companies
11. 2006-2022 – give talks during open days and serve as councilor during education fairs and exhibitions
12. 2006-2022 – exam invigilation for final examinations
13. 2006-2013 – volunteered at ACTS Church and Asian Youth Ambassadors, where I learned a lot of social skills. I was also the Multimedia University's Christian Society advisor.
1. MDEC PDTI Faculty First Place 2021
2. Best Service Award by Faculty of Engineering 2021
3. RICES 2020 Silver Medal for "Driving Simulator for Driving Education" 2020
4. TOPCIT 2nd Examination November 2019: Highest Score for Malaysia 2019
5. IDE4TE2019 Gold Award: Increased Learning Interest and Attainment via Adaptive Teaching 2019
6. RICES 2017 Category B (Research Project): 2nd Runner Up 2017
7. ITEX Silver Medal for "Hosting Malaysia Cloropleth" 2017
8. ITEX Gold Medal for "Secure Digital Medical Certificate System" 2016
9. Best PhD in IT 2015
10. ITEX Silver Medals for “Open Source Searchable Symmetric Encryption” 2015
11. ITEX Silver Medal for “Door Lock using Identity-Based Identification” 2015
12. FTRA ACSA 2014 Best Paper Award 2014
13. PENCIPTA 2013 – Skooch Location-based Reminder App 2013
14. Vice President Support Business Award 2012
15. Tunku Abdul Rahman College Full Scholarship 2001 – 2005
Online verifiable public profiles
- Orcid: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9809-6976
- Publons: https://publons.com/researcher/1236386/ji-jian-chin/
- ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ji-Jian-Chin-2
- Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com.my/citations?user=TMUX1J0AAAAJ
- TryHackMe: https://tryhackme.com/p/kenobicjj
- Credly: https://www.credly.com/users/ji-jian-chin
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jijian-chin/