Dr Jahir Rizvi
Lecturer in Mechanical & Marine Engineering
School of Engineering (Faculty of Science & Engineering)
I am responsible for teaching a number of subjects such as Ship Stability, Hull Resistance, Propulsion and Ship Structure. Along with theories and practicals, I also teach a number of software packages; for example: "Maxsurf Stability" for calculating stability of marine crafts, "Maxsurf Resistance" for predicting resistances and power requirements for displacement and planing hulls, "Maxsurf VPP" for estimating sail performance, "Maxsurf Motions" for predicting motion sickness in various sea states, "Maxsurf Modeler" for ship drawing etc.
I am actively engaged with research projects. I do supervise and co-supervise PhD students.
Apart from teaching and research I am also involved in other roles, I am the Admissions Tutor for Mechanical, Marine & Composites Programmes, one of the Personal Tutors for Stage-1 Engineering Students and one of the Placement Tutors to look after the students who are on Industrial Placements.
November 2015 - present: Admissions Tutor for Mechanical, Marine & Composites Programmes
March 2015 - present: Member of the Engineering Recruitment Committee
November 2014 - December 2016: Member of the School of Marine Science & Engineering Research Committee
Research Fellow (Feb 2011 – Dec 2012), Department of Mechanical, Materials & Manufacturing Engineering, the University of Nottingham, UK
Research Fellow (July 2008 – Jan 2011), School of Computing & Mathematical Sciences, University of Greenwich, London, UK
PhD Research Student (Feb 2006 – June 2008), School of Computing & Mathematical Sciences, University of Greenwich, London, UK
Researcher (June 2005 - Feb 2006), ASM Assembly Automation Ltd, Kwai Chung, Hong Kong (Consultancy services have been provided on behalf of City University of Hong Kong to the above industry)
Research Assistant (Feb 2003 - Feb 2006), Electronic Engineering Department, City University of Hong Kong, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Teaching Assistant (Jan 2002 - Dec 2002), Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering Department, Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh
PGCAP Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice obtained in 2014 from the University of Plymouth.
PhD Degree obtained in November 2007 from the School of Computing and Mathematical Sciences at the University of Greenwich, London, UK for experimental and computational analysis of interconnecting materials.
B.Sc. Engineering Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering (4 years) degree obtained in August 2001 from the Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology (BUET), Bangladesh.
1. Associate Member, The Royal Institution of Naval Architects (RINA), UK
2. Fellow, The Higher Education Academy, UK
Roles on external bodies
I frequently review Research Articles subimitted to the following International Journals –
- RINA Transactions: IJME
- Journal of Marine Science and Engineering
- Microelectronics Reliability
- Journal of Materials Research
My teaching interests include a wide variety of subjects, for example, Naval Architecture, Ship Stability, Resistance and Propulsion, Finite Element Analysis (FEA), Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), Advanced Materials, Failure Mechanism & Fracture Mechanics, Heat Transfer etc.
Currently, I am teaching the following subjects
as Module Leader:
Naval Architecture 1 (MARN 219)
Stability and Hydrodynamics (MARN 203)
Naval Architecture 2 and CFD (MARN 337)
Naval Architecture (MARN338)
I have an extensive and broad research background. Prior to join Plymouth University, I have worked for 2 years as a Research Fellow in the University of Nottingham (UK). I have received my PhD from the University of Greenwich where I have also worked as a post-doctoral Research Fellow for around 3 years. I have started to build my research career since 2003 through working as a Research Assistant in the City University of Hong Kong (China). In the past, I have worked in the areas of reliability and failure analysis of micro-joints under thermo-mechanical loading, numerical modelling of diffusion induced failures, thermal management solutions of power converters, dynamic behavioural analysis of compressed-air and thermal energy storage, conversion and restoration process of offshore wind and wave energies etc. I have published over 25 peer reviewed journal and conference articles.
Currently, I am involved in investigating ship design, ship and propeller hydrodynamics, failure mechanisms of marine composite structures.
Research collaborations and PhD research proposals are always welcome for the following topics:
- Fatigue, Failure, Integrity and Degradation analysis of metal and composite based Ship Hull and Marine Structures
- Hydrodynamic performances of Hull and Propellers
- Computational modelling, reliability and failure analysis of soldered and welded joints for marine applications
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
Grants & contracts
- School Research Committee Small Grant (April 2013 - March 2014), Value: £3500
- School Research Committee PhD Funding (October 2013- September 2016), Value: International rate studentship fee
(a) International peer reviewed Journal articles
- "Bolted FRP flange joints for pipelines: A review of current practice and future challenges", Muhsin Aljuboury, Md Jahir Rizvi, Stephen Grove, Richard Cullen, Proceedings of the IMehE Part L: Journal of Materials: Design and Applications, available on line.
- "Numerical analysis of the thermomechanical behaviour of an integrally water-heated tool for composite manufacturing", Rzgar Abdalrahman, Stephen Grove, Adam Kyte, Md Jahir Rizvi, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, vol. 36 (4), 2017, pp. 241-253.
- "Moisture effects on the bending fatigue of laminated composites", M. Meng, H. Le, S. M. Grove, M. J. Rizvi, Composite Structures, vol. 154, 15 October 2016, pp. 49-60.
- "Numerical simulation and experimental verification of heating performance of an integrally water-heated tool", Rzgar Abdalrahman, Stephen Grove, Adam Kyte, Md Jahir Rizvi, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, vol. 35(8), 2016, pp. 655-671.
- "Multi-scale modelling of moisture diffusion coupled with stress distribution in CFRP laminated composites", M. Meng, M. J. Rizvi, H. R. Le, S. M. Grove, Composite Structures,vol. 138, 2016, pp. 295-304.
- "Effects of hygrothermal stress on the failure of CFRP composites", M. Meng, M. J. Rizvi, S. M. Grove, H. R. Le, Composite Structures,vol. 133, 2015, pp. 1024-1035.
- "The effects of unequal compressive/tensile moduli of composites", M. Meng, H. R. Le, M. J. Rizvi, S. M. Grove, Composite Structures, vol. 126, August 2015, pp. 207-215. (DOI: 10.1016/j.compstruct.2015.02.064)
- “3D FEA Modelling of Laminated Composites in Bending and Their Failure Mechanisms” M. Meng; H.R. Le, M. J. Rizvi, S. M. Grove, Composite Structures, vol. 119, January 2015, pp. 693-708. (DOI: 10.1016/j.compstruct.2014.09.048)
- “Numerical simulation and design optimization of an integrally-heated tool for composite manufacturing”, Rzgar Abdalrahman, Stephen Grove, Adam Kyte & Md Jahir Rizvi, Materials and Design, vol. 64, December 2014, pp. 477-489.
- "Damage predictions in a chip resistor solder joint on flexible circuit board" M. J. Rizvi, C. Bailey & H. Lu, Microelectronic Engineering, vol. 87, no. 10, 2010, pp. 1889-1895. (ISSN: 0167-9317, doi: 10.1016/j.mee.2009.11.023).
- "Modelling the diffusion of solid copper into liquid solder alloys", M. J. Rizvi, H. Lu & C. Bailey, Thin Solid Films, vol. 517, no. 5, 2009, pp. 1686-1689, (ISSN 0040-6090, doi: 10.1016/j.tsf.2008.09.105).
- "Failure mechanisms of ACF joints under isothermal ageing", M. J. Rizvi, C. Bailey & H. Lu, Microelectronics Journal, vol. 39, no. 9, 2008, pp. 1101-1107.
- "Role of bonding time and temperature on the physical properties of coupled anisotropic conductive-nonconductive adhesive film for flip chip on glass technology", M. J. Rizvi, H. Lu, C. Bailey, Y. C. Chan, M. Y. Lee & C. H. Pang, Microelectronic Engineering, vol. 85, no. 1, 2008, pp. 238-244.
- "Effect of adding 0.3wt% Ni into the Sn-0.7wt%Cu solder-Part I: Wetting Behavior on Cu and Ni substrates", M. J. Rizvi, C. Bailey, Y. C. Chan & H. Lu, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol. 438, no. 1-2, 2007, pp. 116-121.
- "Effect of adding 0.3 wt% Ni into the Sn-0.7wt%Cu solder-Part II: Growth of intermetallic layer with Cu during wetting and aging", M. J. Rizvi, C. Bailey, Y. C. Chan, M. N. Islam & H. Lu, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol. 438, no. 1-2, 2007, pp. 122-128.
- "Effect of adding 1wt% Bi into the Sn-2.8Ag-0.5Cu solder alloy on the intermetallic formations with Cu-substrate during soldering and isothermal aging", M. J. Rizvi, Y. C. Chan, C. Bailey, H. Lu and M. N. Islam, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol. 407, no. 1-2, 2006, pp. 208-214.
- "Study of anisotropic conductive adhesive joint behavior under 3-point bending", M. J. Rizvi, Y. C. Chan, C. Bailey & H. Lu, Microelectronics Reliability, vol. 45, no. 3-4, 2005, pp 589-596.
- "The effect of curing on the performance of ACF bonded chip-on-flex assemblies after thermal ageing", M. J. Rizvi, Y. C. Chan, C. Bailey, H. Lu & A. Sharif, Soldering & Surface Mount Technology Journal, vol. 17, no.2, 2005, pp. 40-48.
- "Wetting and reaction of Sn-2.8Ag-0.5Cu-1.0Bi solder with Cu and Ni substrates", M. J. Rizvi, Y. C. Chan, C. Bailey, H. Lu, M. N. Islam & B.Y.Wu, Journal of Electronic Materials, vol. 34, no. 8, 2005, pp. 1115-1122.
- "Dissolution of electroless Ni metallization by lead-free solder alloys", A. Sharif, Y. C. Chan, M. N. Islam & M. J. Rizvi, Journal of Alloys and compounds, vol. 388, no. 1, 2005, pp 75-82.
- "Effect of 9 wt% in addition to Sn3.5Ag0.5Cu solder on the interfacial reaction with the Au/NiP metallization on Cu pads, M. N. Islam, Y. C. Chan, A. Sharif & M. J. Rizvi, Journal of Alloys and compounds, vol. 396, no. 1-2, 2005, pp. 217-223.
- "Investigations of interfacial reactions of Sn-Zn based and Sn-Ag-Cu lead-free solder alloys as replacement for Sn-Pb solder", M. N. Islam, Y.C. Chan, M.J. Rizvi & W. Jillek, Journal of Alloys and compounds, vol. 400, no. 1-2, 2005, pp. 136-144.
(b) International peer reviewed Conference articles
- “Bolted flange joint made of glass fibre reinforced polymer (GFRP) for pipelines” Muhsin Aljuboury, Md Jahir Rizvi, Stephen Grove, Richard Cullen, ASME Pressure Vessel & Piping Conference, Prague, Czech Republic, 15-20 July 2018, paper accepted.
- “Manufacturing glass fibre reinforced polymer (GFRP) bolted flange connections using a vacuum infusion process”, Muhsin Aljuboury, Md Jahir Rizvi, Stephen Grove, Richard Cullen, Eleventh International Conference on Composite Science and Technology, ICCST/11, April 4-6, 2017,American University of Sharjah, Sharjah, UAE, paper accepted.
- “A numerical investigation of the sealing performance of a bolted GFRP flange joint with rubber gasket”, Muhsin Aljuboury, Md Jahir Rizvi, Stephen Grove, Richard Cullen, Eleventh International Conference on Composite Science and Technology, ICCST/11, April 4-6, 2017, American University of Sharjah, Sharjah, UAE, paper accepted.
- "Environmental effects on the bending fatigue of laminated composites: experimental and modelling approaches", Maozhou Meng, Huirong Le, Stephen Grove, Md Jahir Rizvi, 17th European Conference on Composite Materials, Munich, Germany, 26th-30th June 2016.
- "Modelling of bending fatigue of laminated composites in marine environment", M. Meng, H. R. Le, M. J. Rizvi, S. M. Grove, Proceedings of 20th International Conference on Composite Materials (ICCM20), Copenhagen, Denmark, 19-24 July 2015.
- "Multi-scale analysis of moisture diffusion coupled with stress distribution in CFRP composites", M. Meng, H.R. Le, M. J. Rizvi, S. M. Grove, Proceedings of 18th International Conference of Composite Structures, Lisbon, Portugal, 15-18 June 2015.
- “Numerical Studies of Integrally-Heated Composite Tooling”, Rzgar Abdalrahman, Stephen Grove, Adam Kyte, Md Jahir Rizvi, Proceedings of 16th European Conference on Composite Materials (ECMC16), Seville, Spain, June 22nd – 26th, 2014, pp.
- "Finite Element Modelling of Failures in Thick Film Chip Resistor Solder Joints", M. J. Rizvi, H. Lu, C. Bailey, E. Bevan, N. Pountney & J. Coates, Proceedings of International Microsystems, Packaging, Assembly and Circuits Technology (IMPACT) Conference, Taipei Nangang Exhibition Hall, Taiwan, October 20-22, 2010, paper accepted for oral presentation.
- "Modelling of jet impingement cooling for power electronics", M. J. Rizvi, R. Skuriat, T. Tilford, C. Bailey, C. M. Johnson & H. Lu, Proceedings of Int. Conference on Thermal, Mechanical and Multi-Physics Simulation and Experiments in Micro-electronics and Micro-Systems (EuroSime 2009), Delft, The Netherlands, April 27-29, 2009, pp 107-111,(ISBN: 978-1-4244-4161-7).
- "Co-design and Multi-physics analysis for power electronic modules", C. Bailey, H. Lu, T. Tilford, J. Rizvi & C. Yin, Keynote Presentation, Proceedings of Int. Conference on Thermal, Mechanical and Multi-Physics Simulation and Experiments in Micro-electronics and Micro-Systems (EuroSime 2009), Delft, The Netherlands, April 27-29, 2009, pp. 750-753.
- "Design for Reliability for Wafer Level System in Package", S. Stoyanov, N. Strusevich, J. Rizvi, V. George, J.M. Yannou & C. Bailey, Proceedings of the 2nd Electronics System-Integration Technology Conference (ESTC), 1st-4th September 2008, Greenwich, London, UK, pp. 293-298.
- "Impact of Assembly Process Technologies on Electronic Packaging Materials", T. Tilford, C. Bailey, A.K. Parrott, J. Rizvi, C. Yin, K.I. Sinclair & M.P.Y. Desmulliez, Proceedings of the International Conference on Electronic Packaging Technology & High Density Packaging (ICEPT-HDP), Riverfront Business Hotel, Pudong, Shanghai, China, July 28th-31st, 2008, pp. Received Best Paper Award.
- "Modelling the reliability of components on flexible substrates", J. Rizvi, C. Yin, C. Bailey & H. Lu, Proceedings of ASME/Pacific Rim Technical Conference and Exhibition on Packaging and Integration of Electronic and Photonic Systems, MEMS, and NEMS, InterPACK’07, Westin Bayshore Resort and Marina, Vancouver, BC, Canada, July 8-12, 2007, pp. 1-6.
- "Performance and reliability of flexible substrates when subjected to lead-free processing", M. J. Rizvi, C. Y. Yin, C. Bailey and H. Lu, Proceedings of 16th European Microelectronics and Packaging Conference (EMPC-2007), Oulu, Finland, 17-20 June, 2007, pp. 594-599.
- "Application of modelling for predicting the behavior of polymers and adhesives in microelectronic and photonic devices", C. Bailey, M. J. Rizvi, C. Yin, H. Lu and S. Stoyanov, Proceedings of 6th International IEEE Conference on Polymers and Adhesives in Microelectronics and Photonics, Miraikan, Odaiba-Tokyo, Japan, January 15-18, 2007, pp. 240-244.
- "Modeling the effect of lead-free soldering on flexible substrate", M. J. Rizvi, C. Y. Yin and C. Bailey, Proceedings of 8th International Conference on Electronic Materials and Packaging, Hong Kong, China, 11-14 December, 2006, pp. 653-657.
- "Comparative wetting behavior of Sn-0.7Cu and Sn-0.7Cu-0.3Ni solders on Cu and Ni substrates", M. J. Rizvi, C. Bailey, Y. C. Chan & H. Lu, Proceedings of 1st Electronics System Integration Technology Conference (ESTC), Dresden, Germany, September 5th -7th , 2006, pp. 145-151.
- "Thermal-mechanical analysis of flexible substrates during lead-free solder reflow", C.Y. Yin, M. J. Rizvi, H. Lu & C. Bailey, Proceedings of 1st Electronics System Integration Technology Coference (ESTC), Dresden, Germany, September 5th -7th , 2006, pp. 1007-1011.
- "Effects of thermal cycling profiles on the performance of Chip-on-Flex assembly using anisotropic conductive films", M. J. Rizvi, C. Bailey, Y. C. Chan & H. Lu, Proceedings of the tenth Intersociety Conference on Thermal and Thermomechanical Phenomena in Electronic Systems, (ITherm 2006), Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina, San Diego, CA, USA, May30-June 2, 2006, pp. 855-860.
Other academic activities
Ship Design & Performance Evaluation,
Creep and Fatigue Failure Analysis using Finite Element Method (FEM),
Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow Analysis using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
Material’s behavioural study,
Reactive & Non-reactive Diffusion studies
Software Expertise: Maxsurf Packages, Ansys Workbench, Ansys Mechanical, Fluent, Physica v2.12, FloTHERM, Surface Evolver v2.3, Visual Doc v6.0, Rhinoceros v3.0, Matlab ODE & Microsoft Office Packages