Dr Ian Mills
Honorary Associate Professor
Faculty of Health
- Primary care dentistry
Email email@example.com to enquire.
Dental surgeon with over 30 years experience across a wide range of dental disciplines including general dental practice, secondary care, education and research. Currently a partner at Torrington Dental Practice, Honorary Associate Professor at Peninsula Dental School and Dean of the Faculty of General Dental Practice (UK ).
PhD Doctor of Philosophy, Peninsula College of Medicine & Dentistry (2018)
FHEA Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy (2015)
MFDS RCPS (Glasg) Membership of the Faculty of Dental Surgery, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow (2013)
FDS RCPS (Glasg) Fellowship of the Faculty of Dental Surgery, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow (2013)
FFGDP (UK) Fellowship of the Faculty of General Dental Practice (2012)
Adv Cert Imp Dent Certificate in Advanced Implant Dentistry, Royal College of Surgeons of England (2008)
Dip Imp Dent RCS Diploma in Implant Dentistry, Royal College of Surgeons of England (2008)
BDS Bachelor of Dental Surgery, University of Glasgow (1987)
Faculty of General Dental Practice (UK)
Faculty of Dental Surgery, Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Glasgow
College of General Dentistry
British Dental Association
Association of Dental Implantology
British Society for Oral and Dental Research
International Association for Dental Research
Roles on external bodies
2018 – 2021 Dean of the Faculty of General Dental Practice (UK)
2018 – date Trustee of the Royal College of Surgeons of England
2018 – date Trustee of the College of General Dentistry
2013 – date Examiner for the Fellowship of FGDP (UK)
2013 – 2016 Chair of Examinations of FGDP (UK) at Royal College of Surgeons of England
2015 – date National Representative on Care Quality Commission Dental Review Group
2006 – 2018 Elected Representative on General Dental Practice Committee of the BDA
1998 – date Elected Representative on Devon Local Dental CommitteeCurrent committees include:
Joint Committee of Postgraduate Training in Dentistry
COVID-19 National Stakeholders Group
COVID-19 Forward Planning Group for Dentistry
Advancing Dental Care Stakeholders Group
Improving Oral Health in Children & Young People with Additional Needs
Oversight Committee for Delivering Better Oral Health
2018 - 21 Partial sabbatical from teaching in view of role as Dean of FGDP(UK)
Previously contributed to undergraduate training as:
- Clinical Supervisor for final year dental students
- EBL Facilitator(3rd year dental students)
- Workshop lead on Shred Decision Making for dental students
- Honorary Lecturer delivering plenaries on variety of topics
Focus on primary care based research with particular experience in the use of qualitative methods:
Research interests in:
- Person-centred care in general dental practice
- Shared decision making
- Environmental sustainability with particular focus on waste management in general dental practice
Key publications are highlightedJournals
1. Mills, I. J. Equality and Leadership in Dentistry - Primary Dental Journal (2020), accepted for publication (due to be published September 2020)
2. Trivedy, C., Mills, I. J., Dhanoya, O. Impact of covid-19 on BAME members of the dental profession – Br Dent J. (2020) – accepted for publication (publication date 26 June, 2020)
3. Wilson, Nairn HF, and Ian J. Mills. Dentistry: Time for a New Meaning? Primary Dental Journal 9.1 (2020): 19-20.
4. Mills I. J. A never event case scenario – BDJ Accepted for publication April 2020
5. Mills I. J. A never event case scenario – BDA Indemnity supplement, February 2020
6. Bartlett, D., Dattani, S., Mills, I. et al. Monitoring erosive toothwear: BEWE, a simple tool to protect patients and the profession. Br Dent J 226, 930–932 (2019).
7. Robinson, P., Anwar, S., Boards, R., Charles, D., Clarkson, J., Cowan, K., Daly, B., Delaney, P., Dhanoya, O., Deery, C., Glenny, A-M., Godson, J., Hurley, s., Lin, y., McEachan, R., Mills, IJ., Moazzez, R., Pacey, E., Pavitt, S. Research priorities for oral and dental health: A UK priority setting partnership with the James Lind Alliance. IADR Accepted for Publication 2019
8. Mills IJ. Through the patient’s eyes – the importance of person-centred care in oral cancer. Br Dent J. 2018 Nov 9;225(9) 889–891
9. Grose J, Burns L, Mukonoweshuro R, Richardson J, Mills I, Nasser M, Moles D. Developing sustainability in a dental practice through an Action Research approach. Br Dent J. 2018 Sept 14;225(5) 409–413
10. Mills IJ. A person-centred approach to holistic assessment. Primary Dental Journal. 2017 Aug 31;6(3):18-23.
11. Mills IJ, Barker S, Renton T. The importance of recording mental health history–a case report. Dental Update. 2017 Nov 2;44(10):922-34.
12. Tanja-Dijkstra K., Pahl S., White M.P., Andrade J., May J., Stone R.J., Mills I., Auvray M., Moles D.R. The soothing sea: A virtual coastal walk can reduce experienced and recollected pain. Environment and Behavior Volume 50 Issue 6, July 2018.
13. Grose J, Richardson J, Mills I, Moles D, Nasser M. Exploring attitudes and knowledge of climate change and sustainability in a dental practice: A feasibility study into resource management. Br Dent J. 2016 Feb 26;220(4):187-91. doi: 10.1038/sj.bdj.2016.136.
14. Richardson J, Grose J, Manzi S, Mills I, Moles DR, Nasser M, Nichols A. What's in a bin: A case study of dental clinical waste composition and potential Green House Gas emission savings. Br Dent J. 2016 Jan 22;220(2):61-6. doi: 10.1038/sj.bdj.2016.55.
15. Mills I, Frost J, Kay E, Moles DR. Person-centred care in dentistry--the patients' perspective. Br Dent J. 2015 Apr 10;218(7):407-12; discussion 413. doi: 10.1038/sj.bdj.2015.248
16. Mills I., Frost, J., Moles D.R., Cooper C., Kay, E.J. Patient-Centred Care in General Dental Practice – A Systematic Literature Review BMC Oral Health.2014, 14:64 DOI: 10.1186/1472-6831-14-64
17. Tanja-Dijkstra, K., Pahl, S., White, M.P., Andrade, J., May, J., Stone, R.J., Bruce, M., Mills, Auvray, M., Gabe, R., Moles, D.R. Can virtual nature improve patient experiences and memories of dental treatment? A study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. 03/2014; 15(1):90. DOI:10.1186/1745-6215-15-90
18. Kay, E.J., Mills I., Tredwin, C., Lambe, P., Nassani, M. Comparison of Utility Weighted DMFT with Patient Reported Oral Wellbeing. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation. 12/2013; DOI:10.1111/joor.12117
19. Mills I., Frost, J., Moles D.R., Kay, E.J. Patient-Centred Care – Sound Sense or Sound Bite? Br Dent J. 2013 Jul;215(2):81-5. doi: 10.1038/sj.bdj.2013.68
20. Mills I, Batchelor P. Quality indicators: the rationale behind their use in NHS dentistry. Br Dent J. 2011 Jul 8;211(1):11-5. doi: 10.1038/sj.bdj.2011.521