- A403, Portland Square, Drake Circus, Plymouth, Devon, PL4 8AA
Mr Huw Thomas
School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
Current PhD Research : Social Resilience in Fishing Communities of Cornwall
- PhD research funding from the ESF (European Social Fund) through the CuC (Combined Universities of Cornwall) and commenced in January 2012
- Current status of research is fieldwork in Mousehole, Polperro and Mevagissey
- My supervisors are Professor Geoff Wilson (Plymouth University), Dr Stephanie Lavau (Plymouth University) and Professor Mike Winter (Exeter University)
- The scope of my work is that of observing the aspects of fishing community life that express resilient traits that may contribute to community ability to cope with negative aspects of social, environmental and economic change. These pressures may be driven internally to the community or from many scales external to the community.
- Changes in fishers behaviors are investigated in regard to traditional practice in fishing and 'forced' response to external and local governance changes. Social memory is believed to be a key driver in fishers behaviors especially in regard to the diversity of livelihood that fishers have traditionally enjoyed and the specific changes in these livelihoods.
- These resilience traits are expressed in many ways within fishing communities that have various degrees of dependence on commercial fishing and the adoption of fishing heritage to create different mixes of livelihoods over time.
- The objectives of the research include identifying these resilient traits and coping strategies and disseminating the approaches taken by various communities in order that these benefits may be considered for adoption by other fishing communities in Cornwall and beyond
PGCAP600 Teaching Certificate (2014)
Post Graduate Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (2013)
PhD Social Resilience in Cornish Fishing Communities (Estimated Completion March 2015)
GTA Graduate Teaching Associate (2012)
MA Environment, Policy and Society (OU) (2010)
MRes Environmental Sciences (UEA) (2004)
MSc Oceanography (Southampton Uni/NOC) (2003)
BSc (Hons) Environmental Sciences (Wolverhampton Uni) (1984)
PADI Rescue Diver
Field First Aider
Cornish Fishing Communities