Professor Hisham Khalil
Dean of Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry
Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry
MB.CH.B., Alex (Distinction with Honours), 1987,
Roles on external bodies
Staff serving as external examiners
External Assessor for the Irish Medical Council
I am the ENT National Institute of Health Research (NIHR) Clinical Research Network Lead for the South West Peninsula
Current Research Projects include:
1. Principal Investigator at University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust for the NAIROS NIHR Portfolio study. This is a study led by a research team in Newcastle to investigate alternative treatments for patients with nasal obstruction.
2.Chief Investigatorof a study on Alteration of Taste following ENT surgery, University Hospitals NHS Trust.
3. Lead author for a Cochrane Review for surgical interventions for Chronic Rhinosinusitis without Polyps
4.Lead researcher for study on interventions to support University students with mental health problems. University of Plymouth.
1.Principal Investigator, MACRO study (NIHR Portfolio study due to start in 2018)
Previous NIHR Research Activities
1. Principal Investigator for the Chronic Rhinosinusitis Epidemiologic Survey (CRES)study in Plymouth
2. Principal Investigator, Plymouth, of the commercial, NAVIGATE study
My research interests include:
ENT Clinical Trials, Clinical Education Research , Systematic Reviews, Clinical Outcomes, Surgical Simulation
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
Masters in Clinical Education to Plymouth University Students
Grants & contracts
- Contract to Review Processes for Recognition of Medical Specialties. Medical Council of Ireland, 2017
- HE South West Peninsula Innovation Fund, 2015
- Teaching Fellowship Award, University of Plymouth, 2014
- Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry (PCMD) Division of Medical Education Awards in 2013 and 2014.
- Plymouth University Schools of Medicine and Dentistry (PSMD) Division of Medical Education Award in 2014
- Peninsula Deanery Innovation Fund Award, 2012
- Successful Business Case for ENT Research Fellow, Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust in 2013, recurring annually.
Key publications are highlightedJournals
Author of 3 English Poetry books;Random Thoughts, Sunset Moments and the Nature of Hearts.