- Level 2, John Bull Building, Tamar science Park, Research Way, Derriford, Plymouth, PL6 8BU
- +44 1752 437401
Professor Hisham Khalil
Professor of ENT Surgery and Clinical Education
Peninsula Medical School (Faculty of Health)
MB.CH.B., Alex (Distinction with Honours), 1987,
Roles on external bodies
Staff serving as external examiners
External Assessor for the Irish Medical Council
My research interests include:
ENT Clinical Trials, Clinical Education Research , Systematic Reviews, Clinical Outcomes, Surgical SimulationI was the ENT National Institute of Health Research (NIHR) Clinical Research Network Lead for the South West Peninsula between 2014 and 2019.
Completed Research Projects include:
1. Lead author for a Cochrane Review for FESS for Chronic Rhinosinusitis
2. Principal Investigator for the Chronic Rhinosinusitis Epidemiologic Survey (CRES)study in Plymouth
3. Principal Investigator, Plymouth, of the commercial, NAVIGATE study
4. Systematic review of virtual patients for medical students (mMsters dissertation)
5.. Principal Investigator for the NAIROS NIHR Portfolio study. This is a study led by a research team in Newcastle to investigate alternative treatments for patients with nasal obstruction.
6..Lead researcher for study on interventions to support University students with mental health problems. University of Plymouth.
1.Principal Investigator, MACRO study
2. Holo Lens technology for clinical learning in an ENT Outpatients. An Evaluation/proof of Concept study
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
Masters in Clinical Education to Plymouth University Students
Grants & contracts
- Contract to Review Processes for Recognition of Medical Specialties. Medical Council of Ireland, 2017
- HE South West Peninsula Innovation Fund, 2015
- Teaching Fellowship Award, University of Plymouth, 2014
- Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry (PCMD) Division of Medical Education Awards in 2013 and 2014.
- Plymouth University Schools of Medicine and Dentistry (PSMD) Division of Medical Education Award in 2014
- Peninsula Deanery Innovation Fund Award, 2012
- Successful Business Case for ENT Research Fellow, Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust in 2013, recurring annually.
- Successful set up of NIHR accredited ENT Academic Clinical Lecturer Post, University Hospitals Plymouth NHS trust
Key publications are highlightedJournals
Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry Education Conference, March 2012
Author of 3 English Poetry books;Random Thoughts, Sunset Moments and the Nature of Hearts.