Professor Hisham Khalil
Honorary Professor and Associate Dean for Strategic Planning and Liaison
Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry (NC)
MB.CH.B., Alex (Distinction with Honours), 1987
Roles on external bodies
Staff serving as external examiners
External Assessor for the Irish Medical Council
ENT Clinical Trials
Clinical Education Research
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
Masters in Clinical Education to Plymouth University Students
Grants & contracts
- Contract to Review Processes for Recognition of Medical Specialties. Medical Council of Ireland, 2017
- HE South West Peninsula Innovation Fund, 2015
- Teaching Fellowship Award, University of Plymouth, 2014
- Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry (PCMD) Division of Medical Education Awards in 2013 and 2014.
- Plymouth University Schools of Medicine and Dentistry (PSMD) Division of Medical Education Award in 2014
- Peninsula Deanery Innovation Fund Award, 2012
- Successful Business Case for ENT Research Fellow, Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust in 2013, recurring annually.
Creative practice & artistic projects
Communications Skills App for Healthcare Professionals
1. Khalil HS.Chenopodium Oil as a new topical antifungal agent in otomycosis. An in-vivostudy. MS Thesis. Alexandria University, 1991.
2. Khalil HS.Dizziness in patients with noise-induced hearing loss. MD Thesis. AlexandriaUniversity, 1996
3. Khalil HS.The effectiveness of use of virtual patients for medical students. PCMD. Universitiesof Exeter and Plymouth, 2014
Books and Chapters
1. Khalil HS. Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery Clinical Manual forMedical Students. Peninsula Medical School, 2005. Sixth edition, 2011.
2. Khalil HS. (Contributor). Head and Neck Section, .Portfolio ofIndicative Presentations, PMS, 2006.
3. Khalil HS. Facial Pain. In: Headache: A practical manual. Kernick Dand Goadsby P. Oxford University Press,2009.
4. Khalil HS and Weatherby S(Eds). The Plymouth Clinical Manual.Plymouth Hospitals NHS trust. 2012.
5. Khalil HS, Poulios A, Jaworski K. Practical ENT for GPs. (Inpress)
Khalil HS, Archer J, Mirza M, Wisdom H. (2017) A Review of the Current Procedures for the Recognition of Medical Specialties inIreland, with an Appraisal of Potential Enhancement Options. Commissioned report for the Medical Council of Ireland.
1. Auf I, Osborne J, Sparkes C and Khalil H. Is the KTPlaser effective in tonsillectomy? Clin.Otolaryngol.1997; 22:145-146.
2. Abd El-Salam S, El-Sawy S, Khalil HS. The effects ofelectromagnetic fields on some neuroepithelial structures in the inner ear ofrats. Bull. Alex. Fac. Med, 1997; 33 (4): 537-548.
3. Fahmy F, Osborne J, Khalil H, Rogers B. Primaryliposarcoma of the hypopharynx. J. Laryngol. Otol., 1998; 112:880-882.
4. Waddell A, Saleh H, Robertson N, Khalil HS, BridgerM. Thyroglossal duct remnants. J. Laryngol. Otol.; 114(2): 128-129,2000.
5. Khalil HS, Toynton SC, Steventon N, Gibson A, Adams W. Fibrousdysplasia of the cranial base and sphenoid. Rhinology, 2001; 39:49-51.
6. Khalil HS. Effect of smoking on the outcome of functional endoscopicsinus surgery. Otorhinolaryngol Nova, 2001; 11:284-287.
7. Khalil H.S., Rajkumar K, Baldwin D. Fascinoma of the fortnight. Pharyngeal pouch. Update 5 June 2003; 67(1): 70.
8. Khalil HS, Aijaz F, Osman EZ, Sparkes C, Osborne JE. Does smokingaffect the findings of tympanometry in healthy subjects? A pilot study. IJORL,2003;2(1). www.ispub.com.
9. Alabell J, Khalil H. Fascinoma of the fortnight;Aural myasis. Update, 10 July 2003; 67(3):198.
10.Abou Mayaleh H, Khalil HS, Portmann D, NegrevergneM. Otoplasty for Prominent Ears inChildren. The Technique Adopted in the Portmann Institute. Revue Laryngol,Otol, Rhinol, 2003; 124(2): 135- 136.
11.Khalil HS and Windle-Taylor PC. Canal wall down mastoidectomy, Along-term commitment to the outpatients? BMC Ear, Nose, Throat Disorders,2003;3:1.
12.Berry S, Addams-Williams J, Khalil HS, Armstrong S,Baldwin D. Chondrosarcoma of the larynx. IJORL, 2003;2(2). www.ispub.com.
13.Khalil HS, Nunez DA. Functional endoscopic sinus surgery for chronicrhinosinusitis (Protocol for a Cochrane Review). In: The Cochrane Library,Issue 4, 2003. Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
14.Khalil H.S, Bridger MW, Hilton Pierce, Vincent J. The use of speechtherapy in the treatment of globus pharyngeus patients. A randomisedcontrolled trial. Revue Laryngol, Otol, Rhinol, 2003 ; 124 (3):187-190.
15.Khalil HS, Naraghi A, Denton K, Baldwin D. Paraganglioma of the larynxpresenting as a neck mass. IJORL, 2003;2(2)www.ispub.com.
16.Khalil H.S, Feldman M A, Bridger MW. A simple assessment of quality oflife in head and neck cancer patients, what can it tell us? Revue Laryngol,Otol, Rhinol, 2003;124(4): 217-220.
17.Khalil HS, Khattab A, Duvi S, Ali A, Birchall M. Schwannoma of thepostcricoid region. Revue Laryngol, Otol, Rhinol,2004;125(1):55-57
18.Addams-Williams J, Khalil HS, Berry S, Denton K,Baldwin D. Recurrent extramedullary plasmacytoma of the nasopharynx. IJORL,2004;3(1). www.ispub.com
19.Berry S, Khalil HS, Armstrong S, Tierney P. RareRefresher: Cancer of the tongue masquerading as angioedema. Update 2005
20.Rajkumar K, Khalil HS, Elloy MD, Sheffield E, BaldwinDL. Histopathological changes in the human larynx following expandedPolytetrafluroethylene (Gore-Tex (R). )BMC Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders 2005,5:1 (21 January 2005)
21.Bockmuhl U, Khalil HS, Draf W. Clinicoradiological andsurgical considerations in the treatment of cholesterol granuloma of thepetrous pyramid.
Skull Base. 2005 Nov;15(4):263-7; discussion 267-8.
22.Oluwasanmi AF, Thornton MR, Khalil HS, Tierney PA.Effect of tonsillectomyon recurrent sore throats in adults: patients' perspectives.
J Laryngol Otol. 2006 Feb;120(2):e7.
23.Khalil HS and Nunez DA. Functional endoscopic sinus surgery forchronic rhinosinusitis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006 Jul19;3:CD004458. Review.
24.Duvi S, Khattab A, Khalil HS,Nunez DA. ANational survey of the use of Powered instruments in Functional EndoscopicSinus Surgery: UK Otolaryngology trainee perspective. IJORL, 2006;4(2). www.ispub.com
25.Duvi S, Khattab A, Khalil HS,Nunez DA. Shortfalls in epistaxis management. A Nationwide Survey in UK. Clinical Otolaryngol 2006;31(6):560.
26.Khalil HS, Naraghi A,Nunez DA. Dislocationof the middle turbinate. Ear, Nose and Throat Journal. 2007June;86(6):348-350.
27.Khalil HS and Nunez DA. Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery ;Current perspectives.Otorhinolaringolgia, 2007;57:183-188
28.Khalil HS. The diagnosis and management of globus: a perspective fromthe United Kingdom. Current Opinion Otolaryngol/Head and Neck Surg,2008;16(6):516-520.
29.Medcalf M, Judd O, Khalil HS. Air rifle pellet injuryof the middle ear: A very rare occurrence. Revue Laryngol Otol,2008;129(4-5):297-9.
30.McDonald S, Hilton MP, Khalil H, Dowley A. Localnasal immunotherapy for allergic rhinitis. Protocol of Cochrane Review. John Wiley &Sons,Ltd.2009.http://www.mrw.interscience.wiley.com/cochrane/clsysrev/articles/CD007599/frame.html
31. Rajkumar K, Khalil HS,Mal R. Numb chin as a manifestation of malignancy: a neglected syndrome in theotolaryngology literature? ESBS 2005 Meeting. German Medical Science, GMS Publishing House,2009,Doc05esbs61.http://www.egms.de/de/meetings/esbs2005/05esbs61.shtml
32. Khalil HS and Adams W.Clinico-radiological considerations in the treatment of Patients with frontalsinus mucoceles. Revue Laryngol Otol Rhinol, 2009;130(4):267-271.
33. Eweiss A, Khalil HS.Cavernous sinus thrombosis secondary to contralateral spenoiditis. A diagnosticchallenge. Journal of Laryngol Otol,2010;124:928-930.
34.Dass D, Christoforidou A, Khalil HS, Lee A. A 2-cycleprospective audit of the prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcusaureus in adult rhinology patients. Clinical Audit, 2010;2, 1-8.
35.Khalil HS and Adams W.Clinico-radiological considerations in the treatment of Patients with frontalsinus mucoceles. Revue Laryngol Otol Rhinol, 2009;130(4):267-271.
36.Eweiss A, Khalil HS. Cavernous sinusthrombosis secondary to contralateral spenoiditis. A diagnostic challenge. Journalof Laryngol Otol, 2010;124:928-930.
37.Dass D, Christoforidou A, Khalil HS, Lee A. A 2-cycleprospective audit of the prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcusaureus in adult rhinology patients. Clinical Audit, 2010;2, 1-8.
38.Barua N, Hilton D, Mukonoweshero W, Khalil H,Pobereskin L. Persistent CSF Rhinorrhoea , Pneumochephalus and RecurrentMeningitis Following Misdiagnosis of an Olfactory Neuroblastoma. CaseReports in Medicine, 2010, Article ID 312081, 4 pages.
39.Reddy V, Owen J, Khalil HS. Investigation of the influence of ambienttemperature, atmospheric pressure and water vapour pressure on epistaxisadmission rate. Rhinology, 2010;48(3):348-51
40.Edmond M, Clifton N, Khalil H.A large atypicalosteoma of the maxillary sinus:a report of a case and management challenges Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol,2010;DOI10.1007/s00405- 010-1447-0.
41.Mackay Davies I, Rainsbury P, Sargent H, Khalil H.Improving patient satisfaction in abusy clinic. Clinical Audit,2010; http://www.clinicalaudits.com/index.php/ojca/article/view/73/71
42.Mackie S, Malik T, Khalil HS. EndoscopicResection and Topical 5-Fluouracil as an Alternative Treatment to Cranio-FacialResection for the Management of Primary Intestinal-Type Sino-nasalAdenocarcinoma,. Minimally Invasive Surgery, 2010; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3195981/
43.KhalilHS, FoxtonCR, Mitchell-InnesAM.Septoplasty withalar battens for the treatment of alar collapse: how we do it. Clin Otolaryngol. 2011;36(6):575-8.
44.Khalil HS, Eweiss AZ, Clifton N.. Radiologicalfindings in patients undergoing revision endoscopic sinus surgery: aretrospective case series study. BMC Ear Nose Throat Disord. 2011 May 7;11:4
45.Clifton N, Klingmann C, Khalil H. Teaching Otolaryngologyskills through simulation. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol, 2011;268(7):949-53
46.Khalil HS, Reddy VM, Bos-Clark M,Dowley A, Pierce MH, Morris CP, Jones AE. Speech therapy inthe treatment of globus pharyngeus: how we do it. Clin Otolaryngol. 2011;36(4):388-92
47.Eweiss AZ, Ibrahim AA, Khalil HS. The safe gate tothe posterior paranasal sinuses: reassessing the role of the superiorturbinate. Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2012 ;269(5):1451-6.
48.Mitchell-Innes AM, Rainsbury P, Khalil HS. Primarylymphoma of the pituitary gland; an unusual cause of hemianopia in animmunocompetent patient. J R Soc Med ShRep 2012;3:55. DOI 10.1258/shorts.2012.012067
49.Khalil HS, Cooper N, CopplestoneA, Gale T, Nunez N. A systematic review of the effectiveness of the use ofvirtual patients for medical students. BEME protocol.http://www.bemecollaboration.org/Reviews+In+Progress/Virtual-Patients/
50.Su N, Cheang P and Khalil HS. Do rhinology care pathways in primary careinfluence the quality of referrals to secondary care? Journal of LaryngolOtol. 2013;127:364-367
51.Eweiss A and Khalil HS. The prevalence of frontalcells and their relation to frontal sinusitis. ISRN Otolaryngology,2013.1o.1155/2013/687582.
52.Neville F , Alzahed S, Khalil HS. Patient management; sino-nasal tumours. Foundation Years Journal 2013;7(4)-ENT-Part 2.
53.C Saxby, R Williams Khalil H. Otorhinolaryngology And Neck Surgery: Juvenile NasopharyngealAngiofibroma -Core SurgeryJournal: vol. 4, iss. 2 - Back To Basics 2014.
54.Yogesh M, Khalil HS. Sino-Nasal Malignancy;Presentation and outcomes. Journal of Laryngol Otol 2014 (eprint aheadof publication, available on CJO2014. doi:10.1017/S0022215114001066)
55.Cheang P, Atfeh M andKhalil HS. Nasal Valve Surgery for Nasal Obstruction: A SystematicReview. The Otolaryngologist 2014; 7(2): 80–88
56. Rashid M and Khalil HS.Unplanned re-admissions in ENT. Ann R Coll Surg Engl (Suppl) 2014; 96: 268–269
57. Stubbs D, Poulios A,Khalil H. Benign sinonasal capillary haemangioma. BMJ Case Reports 2014 ; doi:10.1136/bcr-2014-207070.
58. Atfeh MS andKhalil HS. Orbital infections: five-year case series, literature review andguideline development. The Journal of Laryngology & Otology, 2015;129(7):670-676.
59.Carl Philpott, Claire Hopkins, Sally Erskine,Nirmal Kumar, Alasdair Robertson, Amir Farboud, Shahzada Ahmed, Shahram Anari,Russell Cathcart, Hisham Khalil, Paul Jervis, Sean Carrie, Naveed Kara, PeterPrinsley, Robert Almeyda, Nicolas Mansell, Sankalp Sunkaraneni, Mahmoud Salam,Jaydip Ray, Jaan Panesaar, Jonathan Hobson, Allan Clark, Steve Morris. BMJ Open 2015;5:4 e006680 doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2014-006680BMJOpen 2015;5:4 e006680 doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2014-006680
60. Sayma M, Hyne R, Sharma M, Kyle L, Abo Khatwa M, Mackay-Davies I, Poulios A, Khalil HS.(2015) From inpatient notes to outpatient follow-up. 'Enhancing the Rhinology Service in a tertiary centre through student led projects. International Journal of Otolaryngology. http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijoto/2015/197823/abs/
61. Edmond M, Neville F, Khalil HS. A comparison ofteaching three common ear, nose, and throat conditions to medical studentsthrough video podcasts and written handouts: a pilot study .Advances in Medical Educationand Practice 2016:7 281–28662. C. Philpott - S. Erskine - C. Hopkins - E. Coombes - N. Kara - V. Sunkareneni - S. Anari - M. Salam and CRES group - A. Farboud - CRES group. A case- control study of medical, psychological and socio-economic factors influencing the severity of chronic rhinosinusitis
Rhinology 54-2: 134-140, 2016
63.. Phang SY, Whitehouse K, Lee L, Khalil H, McArdle P, Whitefield P. Management of CSF leak in base of skull fractures in adults .Br J Neurosurg. 2016 Sep 26:1-9. [Epub ahead of print]64.√Erskine SE1,2, Hopkins C3, Clark A1, Anari S4, Kumar N5, Robertson A6, Sunkaraneni S7, Wilson JA8, Carrie S9, Kara N10, Ray J11, Smith R12, Philpott CM1,2; CRES Group. SNOT 22 ina control population. Clin Otolaryngol.2017;Clin Otolaryngol. 2017 Feb;42(1):81-85. doi: 10.1111/coa.12667.65 Philpott C1,2, Erskine S1, Smith R2, Hopkins C3, Kara N4, Farboud A5, Salam M6, Robertson A7, Almeyda R8, Kumar BN9, Anari S10, Ray J11, Cathcart R12, Carrie S13, Ahmed S14, Khalil H15, Clark A2, Thomas M16; CRES group. Current use of baseline medical treatment in chronic rhinosinusitis: Data from the National Chronic Rhinosinusitis Epidemiology Study (CRES)Clin Otolaryngology 2017 Oct 20. doi: 10.1111/coa.13012. [Epub ahead of print]66. Kapour S, Catton R, Khalil H. An Evaluation of Medical Student-led Podcasts. What are the lessons learnt. Advances in Medical education and Practice, 2018;9:133-138. https://www.dovepress.com/articles.php?article_id=36861.Abs tracts
1. Fahmy F, Osborne J, Graig A, Khalil H, Hammad Z. Clotting screening for children undergoing adenotonsillectomy - is it worthit? Abstracts of BAPO meeting. Journal Laryngol Otol., 1999; 113:596.
2. Khalil HS. Does smoking affect the results of FESS? Abstracts.Nose 2000 and Beyond Meeting, International Rhinologic Society, Washington DC,20-23 September,2000. American Journal of Rhinology, September, 2000:A-58.
3. Khalil H S, Toynton SC. Facial pain in chronic sinusitis patients.Abstracts Royal Society of Medicine. Section of Laryngology and Otology,1 March 2001.
4. Feldman M A, Khalil H.S., Shaw S, Bridger MWM.Assessing quality of life by a simple analogue scale and problem enquiry inpatients with head and neck cancer. Eur J Surg Oncol 2001; 27, 809
5. Khalil H.S. Aijaz F, Osman E, Sparkes C, Osborne E. Does smokingaffect the findings of tympanometry in healthy subjects? Abstracts, Royal Society of Medicine meeting. Section of Laryngology and Otology, 1 March2002.
6. Khalil H.S, Bridger MW, Hilton Pierce, Vincent J. The use of speech therapyin the treatment of globus pharyngeus patients. A randomised controlled trial.Abstracts, Otolaryngologic Research Society, April, 2002. Clin Otolaryngol,2004;29(4):394.
7. Khalil H S, Toynton SC. Facial pain in chronic sinusitis patientsundergoing FESS. Rhinology (Supplement), 2002:106.
8. Khalil H.S, Feldman M A, Bridger MW. A simple assessment of quality oflife in head and neck cancer patients, what can it tell us? Abstracts,Otolaryngologic Research Society, April, 2003. Clin Otolaryngol, 2004;29(4):406.
9. Rajkumar K, Khalil HS, Mal R. Numb Chin as aManifestation of Malignancy; A Neglected Syndrome in the OtolaryngologyLiterature? Abstracts BAHNO. Clinical Oncology, September, 2004.
10.Khalil HS, Nunez DA. Is FESS more effective than other treatments forpatients with chronic rhinosinusitis? Abstracts, ORS meeting, London, September2004. Clin Otolaryngol, 2005;30:577.
11.Dew, A., & Khalil, H.S. The use of alar battensfor treatment of nasal obstruction
in patients with alar collapse. Abstracts, ORS meeting, London, September 2005.Clin Otolaryngol, 2005;30:588.
12.Christoforidou A, Khalil H, Lee A. A prospectiveaudit of the prevalence of MRSA carrier. state in adult rhinologypatients. EuropeanArchives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, 2007:264(1).
13.Khalil HS. The use of alar battens for the treatment of nasalobstruction due to alar collapse. Abstracts. of 22nd Congress of European Rhinologic Society, Crete, Greece, 2008;OPO78:31.
14.Poulios A and Khalil HS. Are absorbable nasal packssafe for same day discharge? Abstracts. of 22nd Congress of European Rhinologic Society, Crete, Greece, 2008;PPO33;61.
15.Khalil HS and Eweiss A. Radiological findings in patients undergoingrevision FESS. Abstracts BACO, Clin Otolaryngol, 2009; 34 (Suppl. 1), 91
16.Eweiss A and Khalil HS. Cavernous sinus thrombosis secondary tocontralateral sphenoid sinusitis. A diagnostic challenge. BACO, ClinOtolaryngol, 2009; 34
(Suppl. 1), 81.
17.Sadr A and Khalil HS. Correlation of the peakinspiratory nasal airflow with the NOSEScale. Abstracts, American Academy of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, 2009. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 2009;141(3,1):216
18.Clancy R and Khalil HS. Junior doctors facilitating apeer supportive network for medical students. NACT UK abstract book, September2009.
19.Khalil HS, Eweiss A,Jeyarena D. Endoscopic repair of CSF Rhinorrhoea in patients with intracranial pathology.Proceedings,4th World Congress for Endoscopic Surgery of the Brain, Skull Base and Spine, Pittsburgh, USA,April,2010, 76.
20.Khalil HS, Mackie S, Malik T. Primary Intestinal-type adenocarcinoma.A case report and review of the literature. Proceedings, 4th World Congress for Endoscopic Surgery of the Brain, Skull Base and Spine, Pittsburgh, USA,April,2010, 89.
21. Khalil HS , Saleem S, CopplestoneA. Langerhans Cell Histiocytosis of the Frontal Bone presenting as orbitalcellulitis. Proceedings, 4th World Congress for Endoscopic Surgery of theBrain, Skull Base and Spine, Pittsburgh, USA, April,2010, 76.
22. Rashid M and KhalilHS. Unplanned Re-admissions in ENT: How Much Do They Cost? Abstracts,American Academy of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, San Francisco, 2011. OtolaryngolHead Neck Surg, 2011;145(2):42.
23. Mitchell-Innes A, Gill D, HarrisR, Khalil H. HRG coding and profitability for common ENT procedures:A two cycle audit. International Journal of Surgery, 2012; 10: S39.
24.Ronan N, Cheang P and Khalil HS. Does an EarExamination Simulator Improve Otoscopic Diagnostic Skills for Medical Students?Abstracts. Irish Network of Medical Educators (INMED) Conference,Dublin, February 2012.
25.Khalil HS, Mattick K, Maynard V. Teaching Evidence-Based Medicine inan Undergraduate Clinical Placement: A Pilot Study. Abstracts, Irish Networkof Medical Educators (INMED) Conference, Dublin, February 2012.
26. Edmond M, Harrison R,Rowe S, Thananayagam K, Khalil HS. A comparison of teaching three common ENT conditions through POD cast and printed hand outs. Abstracts, Irish Network of Medical Educators (INMED) Conference, Dublin, February2012.
27. Su N, Cheang P and KhalilHS. A Rhinology referral pathway for GPsto improve patient care: does it work? Abstracts, Irish Network of Medical Educators (INMED) Conference, Dublin, February 2012
28. Khalil HS, Cooper N, Poulios A,Gale T, Copplestone A and Nunez D. The effectiveness of the use of virtualpatients for medical students. Abstracts Book AMEE Lyon, 2013.
29. Khalil HS, Ellis K, MoleR .Student Assistantship. The Peninsula Medical School experience. Ottawa and CANMED Conference Abstracts, April, 2014.
30. KhalilHS, Tanner C. Endoscopic DCR, A 2 cycle audit.Abstracts, European Rhinologic Conference, Amsterdam, June, 2014.
31. PouliosA, Abo Khatwa MM, Khalil H. Outcomes of septal surgery with orwithout turbinate and or alar batten surgery. An evaluationusing the nose scale and global satisfaction survey. Abstracts, European Rhinologic Conference, Amsterdam, June, 2014.
32.Abo-KhatwaM, Poulios A and Khalil H. Rhinology fellowship training at DerrifordHospital: a survey of fellows from the last 6 years. Abstracts, European Rhinologic Conference, Amsterdam, June, 2014.
33.Atfeh MS andKhalil HS. Orbital infections: five-year case series, literature reviewand guideline development. Abstracts, European Rhinologic Conference, Amsterdam, June,2014.
34.Cheang P, Atfeh M and Khalil HS. Nasal Valve Surgery for Nasal Obstruction: A Systematic Review. Abstracts, European Rhinologic Conference, Amsterdam, June, 2014
35.Thorely R, Khalil H. A medical student authored virtual patient with epistaxis. Abstracts. European Rhinologic Society meeting, Amsterdam, June, 2014.
36. Khalil HS, Jones G, Chatterjee AC, Joyner M, Watkins C. Engaging students in their learning. Howwe did it. Abstracts, Canadian Conference in Medical Education (CCME), Montreal, April, 2016
37. KhwajaS, Khalil HS. Does proactive treatment with KTP laser reduce the needforadmissions in patients withhereditary haemorrhage telangiectasia? Abstracts, European Rhinologic Society Meeting, Stockholm, July, 2016.
38. Edwards S, Khatwa M, Khalil HS. Sinonasalinverted papilloma. An update of management and recurrent rates. Abstracts, European Rhinologic SocietyMeeting, Stockholm, July, 2016
39. Khalil HS, Prior J. A pragmatic approach to curriculum review. Abstracts, AMEE, Barcelona, August, 2016.
40. Khalil H, Wisdom H. Embedding Raising Concerns in the Culture of Our Faculty. How we dit it. Abstracts. AMEE, Helsinki, August, 2017.
Reports & invited lectures
Lectures as Invited Guest Speaker.
1. How to get a consultant post? Regional Training Day, Care ofthe Elderly, Taunton, June 2004.
2. Is current otolaryngology practice evidenced based? GPTraining day, Exeter, June 2004.
3. GP Forum. St.Mellion, June,2006
4. ENT Update. GP Training, Sandy Park, Exeter, September 2007.
5. The Rhinology Clinic. South West Laryngological AssociationMeeting, Bristol, November, 2007.
6. Surgical treatment of allergic rhinitis in children. Paediatric Allergy and Asthma Conference, London, November, 2007
7. Noise Induced Hearing Loss. Clinical and Medico legalAspects. Regional Training Day, Plymouth, January 2008.
8. The Frontal Sinus. South Molton Regional Audit Meeting,September, 2008.
9.. Paediatric Rhinosinusitis. Regional Training Day, Plymouth,September, 2009.
10. Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery. Regional Training Day,Plymouth, October, 2010.
11. Sino-nasal Malignancy.Regional Training Day, Plymouth, October, 2012.
12. Alar battens Surgery. Rhino Alex Conference , October, 2012
13. Management of CSF Rhinorrhoea in Patients with persistent intracranial pathology. Rhino Alex conference, October, 2012
14. Medical Education Research for Surgeons. South West ENT Academic Meeting. RUH Bath, June, 2013.
15.Medical Education for Surgeons, Association of Otolaryngology Trainees Conference, Exeter, June, 2014.
16. . Patient safety in the PUPSMD Curriculum. GMC Conference, London, March, 2015.
17. An overview of septorhinoplasty. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Study day, Taunton, June,2015
18. Alar Battens Surgery Update. South African ENT Congress, Durban, November, 2015.
19. An update on the management of Sino-nasal malignancy. South African ENT Congress, Durban, November, 2015.
20.Current concepts in the management of sion-nasal cancer. Journal of Laryngology and Otology study day. 4 May, 2017.
21. The shape of Otolaryngology training in the South West of England. Joint Specialist Training Committees, Taunton, 19 February, 2018.
Presentations in National and International Medical Education Conferences.
1. A comparison of teaching three common ENT conditions through podcasts and written handouts. Irish Network of Medical Educators Conference, Dublin, February, 2012.
2. Teaching evidence-based Medicine in an undergraduate curriculum. Irish Network of Medical Educators Conference, Dublin, February, 2012.
3. Does an ear examination simulator improve otoscopic diagnostic skills for medical students.Irish Network of Medical Educators Conference, Dublin, February, 2012.
4. A rhinology referral pathway for GPs to improve patient care. Does it work? Irish Network for Medical Educators Conference, Dublin, February, 2012.
5. The Effectiveness of the Use of Virtual Patients for Medical Students. Association for Medical Education in Europe (AMEE) August 2012, Lyon, AMEE August 2013, Prague, CANMED April, 2015, Vancouver.
6. Student Assistantships. The Peninsula Medical School Experience. Association for the Study of Medical Education (ASME), Edinburgh, July, 2013 and CANMED, Ottawa, April, 2014.
7. A workshop on the Use of Virtual Patients to promote inter-professional learning. AMEE, Milan, August, 2014.
8. Engaging students in their learning. How we did it. Canadian Conference for Medical Education, Montreal, April, 2016.
9. Student support in the Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry. GMC ETAB national workshop on Health and Disability. October,2016.
Author of 3 English Poetry books;Random Thoughts, Sunset Moments and the Nature of Hearts.