Dr Dena Bazazian
Lecturer in Robotics and Machine Vision
School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
Dena Bazazian is a lecturer in machine vision and robotics at the University of Plymouth. Previously, she was a senior research associate at the Visual Information Laboratory of the University of Bristol. Prior to that, she was a research scientist at CTTC (Centre Tecnològic de Telecomunicacions de Catalunya) and a postdoctoral researcher at the Computer Vision Center (CVC), Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) where she accomplished her PhD in 2018.
She had long-term research visits at NAVER LABS Europe in Grenoble, France in 2019 and at the Media Integration and Communication Center (MICC), University of Florence, Italy in 2017. She was working with the Image Processing Group (GPI) at Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC) between 2013 and 2015.
Dena Bazazian was one of the main organisers of the series of Deep Learning for Geometric Computing (DLGC) workshops at CVPR2022, ICCV2021, CVPR2020, Women in Computer Vision (WiCV) Workshops at CVPR2018 and ECCV2018, Robust Reading Challenge on Omnidirectional Video at ICDAR2017.
- PhD : Computer Science- Computational Models for Artificial Vision (2018)
- AINT308 Machine Vision and Behavioural Computing (22/SP/SB/M)
- AINT515 Artificial Vision and Deep Learning (22/SP/SB/M)
- AINT515Z Artificial Vision and Deep Learning (22/SP/SB/M)
- Computer Vision
- Deep Learning
- Image and Video Processing
- 3D Modelling
- Geometry Analysis
- Point Cloud Processing
- Previous Research Experience:
- January 2021 - December 2022: Senior Research Associate, University of Bristol, Visual Information Lab, Bristol, UK.
- November 2019 - January 2021: Research scientist at UPC, CTTC, Castelldefels, Barcelona, Spain.
- November 2018 - November 2019: Postdoctoral researcher at Computer Vision Center (CVC), Barcelona, Spain.
- September 2018 - March 2019: Research stay at NAVER LABS Europe, Computer Vision group, Grenoble, France.
- May 2017 - July 2017: Research stay at MICC (Media Integration and Communication Center), Florence, Italy.
- December 2015 - November 2018: Predoctoral researcher Computer Vision Center (CVC), Barcelona, Spain.
- September 2013- December 2015: Research assistant, Image processing group, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), Barcelona, Spain.
Grants & contracts
Externally funded projects:
A method to utilise computer vision in the generation of milling tool paths for natural timber secondary processing: Proof-Of-Concept award, Co-Investigator 2023, £5K.
- ICONIC: Intergenerational co-creation of novel technologies to reconnect digitally excluded people with community & cultural landscapes in coastal economies (ICONIC). Co-Investigator 2022-24, EPSRC Equitable Digital Society, £1,248,051.
- Bazazian, D., Magland, B., Grimm, C., Chambers, E., & Leonard, K. Perceptually grounded quantification of 2D shape complexity. The Visual Computer, 1-13, 2022.
- Bazazian, D., Calway, A. and Damen, D. Dual-Domain Image Synthesis using Segmentation-Guided GAN. In proceedings CVPR workshops, 2022.
- Huq, F., Dey, A., Yusuf, S., Bazazian, D., Birdal, T. and Miolane, N. Riemannian Functional Map Synchronization for Probabilistic Partial Correspondence in Shape Networks. arXiv preprint arXiv:2111.14762, 2021.
- Bazazian, D., Peres, ME., EDC-Net: Edge Detection Capsule Network for 3D Point Clouds. Applied Sciences 11.4:1833, 2021.
- Bazazian, D., Nahata, D., DCG-Net: Dynamic Capsule Graph Network for Point Clouds, IEEE Access, pp. 188056-188067, 2020.
- Bazazian, D., Fully Convolutional Networks for Text Understanding in Scene Images, ELCVIA Electronic Letters on Computer Vision and Image Analysis 18(2): 6-10, 2020.
- Al-Rawi, M., Bazazian, D., and Valveny, E., Can Generative Adversarial Networks Teach Themselves Text Segmentation?, In Proceedings of International Conference on Computer Vision Workshops, 2019.
- Bazazian, D., Karatzas, D., and Bagdanov, A., Soft-PHOC descriptor for an end to end word spotting in Egocentric Images, Presented at EPIC workshop, 2018.
- Akata, Z., Bazazian, D., Hasson, Y., Kanazawa, A., Kuehne, H. and Varol, G., WiCV at ECCV2018: The Fifth Women in Computer Vision Workshop. In the European Conference on Computer Vision, 649-653. Springer, Cham, ECCV 2018.
- Bazazian, D., Karatzas, D., and Bagdanov, A., Word Spotting in Scene Images based on Character Recognition, In Proc CVPR workshops, 1872-1874, 2018.
- Demir, I., Bazazian, D., Romero, A., Sharmanska, V., Tchapmi, L., WiCV 2018: The Fourth Women In Computer Vision Workshop, In Proc CVPR workshops, 1973-1975, 2018.
- Iwamura, M., Morimoto, N., Tainaka, K., Bazazian, D., Gomez, L., Karatzas, D., Robust Reading Challenge on Omnidirectional Video, International Conference on Document Analysis and Application (ICDAR), 2017.
- Bazazian, D., Gomez, R., Gomez, L., Nicolaou, A., Karatzas, D., and Bagdanov, A., FAST: Facilitated and Accurate Scene Text Proposals through FCN Guided Pruning, Pattern Recognition Letter (PRL) Journal, 2017.
- Galteri, L., Bazazian, D., Seidenari, L., Bertini, M., Bagdanov, A., Nicolaou, A., Karatzas, D., Reading Text in the Wild from Compressed Images, Egocentric Perception, Interaction and Computing (EPIC) workshop at ICCV2017.
- Bazazian, D., Casas, J., Ruiz-Hidalgo, J., Segmentation-based Multi-Scale Edge Extraction to Measure the Persistence of Features in Unorganized Point Clouds, VISAPP- International Conference on Computer Vision Theory and Applications, 2017.
- Bazazian, D., Gomez, R., Gomez, L., Nicolaou, A., Karatzas, D., and Bagdanov, A., Improving Text Proposals for Scene Images with Fully Convolutional Networks, ICPR-DLPR16 workshop of Deep learning for pattern recognition at ICPR, 2016.
- Bazazian, D., Casas, J.R., Ruiz-Hidalgo, J., Fast and Robust Edge Extraction in unorganized Point Clouds, DICTA, Digital Image Computing: Techniques and Applications, 2015.