Dr Cathy Coelho
Associate Professor (Education)
Peninsula Dental School (Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry)
I am an Associate Professor/Senior Lecturer in Clinical Dental Education and Year 4 Lead (the penultimate year) at Plymouth University Peninsula School of Dentistry. I am the Module Lead for the BDS and DTH Clinical Audit modules and take lead responsibility for Enquiry-based learning, academic remediation and Widening Participation in the Dental School.I am the Senior Personal Tutor within the Dental School. I was awarded an Early Career Educator Excellence in Teaching Award in 2016 from the Association of Dental Education in Europe and was a finalist for the Higher Education Academy Collaborative Award for Teaching Excellence in 2017.
- 2016 ADEE (Association for Dental Education in Europe) Excellence in Teaching Award (Early Career Educator).
- Finalist in the 2017 Higher Education Academy Collaborative Award for Teaching Excellence.
General Dental Council
E nquiry-based learning
C. Coelho;“Facilitating facilitators to facilitate in problem or enquiry-based sessions”.Journal of Problem Based Learning in Higher Education, 2014;2(1), 4-10.
C. Coelho and D.Moles; “Student perceptions of a spiral curriculum”. European Journal of DentalEducation, 2016.20(3) 161-166.
Academic performance in students with specific learning disabilities
K. Ali, D. Zahra,C. Coelho, G. Jones and C. Tredwin; "Academic performance of undergraduatedental students with learning disabilities". British Dental Journal,2017;222(3) 205-208.
Using patients aseducators
C. Coelho, J.Pooler and H. Lloyd; "Using patients as educators for communicationskills; Exploring dental students and patients views". European Journal ofDental Education, 2017;00:1-9.
Communication in a clinical setting
C. Coelho, R. Witton and w. Smith; Assisting communication in the dental setting: a student team working initiative with stroke patients. Journal of Disability and oral Health. 2018; 19(1): 10-13
Posters and Presentations
1. Poster: C.Coelho and S. Hanks; Closing the loop on feedback – using student voice toenhance student experience. At Vice Chancellor’s Teaching and LearningConference, Plymouth University, 28th June 2013.
2. Poster: C.Coelho and S. Hanks; Pioneering near peer learning events to empower studentdevelopment towards employment. At Vice Chancellor’s Teaching and LearningConference, Plymouth University, 27th June 2014.
3. Poster: C.Coelho, S. Hanks and P, Schoenborn; What do dental trainers think of thepreparedness for practice of dental graduates? At PedRIO Annual Conference 17thApril 2015.
4. Poster: Studentled plenaries. At 2015 PUPSMD Education Conference, April 2015.
5. Short oralpresentation and poster: C. Coelho; “A critical appraisal of the literature oncommunication skills training in dentistry” at 2015 international Associationfor Dental Education in Europe conference in Hungary.
6. Short oralpresentation and poster: S. Hanks, C .Coelho, P. Schoenborn and R. Coster;“Dental Foundation Trainers’ (DFT) perception of the “Preparedness forPractice” of new dental graduates” at 2015 international Association for DentalEducation in Europe conference in Hungary
7. Short oralpresentation and poster: C.Coelho; “A qualitative study to explore the issuesfor patients when giving feedback on the communication skills of dental students”at 2015 British Society of Dental Research national conference in Cardiff, UK.
8. Short oral presentation and poster: C. Coelho; “Shifting academicallyfailing or under-performing dental students to succeeding ones” at2016international Association for Dental Education in Europe conference inBarcelona.
9. Short oral presentation and poster; C. Coelho, S.Hanks; “Does science knowledge learnt in problem or enquiry-based learningsessions transfer to other learning spaces?” at 2016 international Associationfor Dental Education in Europe conference in Barcelona.
10.Short oral presentation and poster : S. Hanks, C. Coelho;“Evaluating the DayBook: Long Distance View of the Educational Impact of aTeaching and Learning Resource” at 2016 international Association for DentalEducation in Europe conference in Barcelona.
Grants & contracts
2014 University of Plymouth PedRIO grant
Other academic activities
Awarded the 2016 ADEE (Association for Dental Education in Europe Excellence in Teaching Award (Early Career Educator).