Dr Cathy Coelho
Associate Professor (Education)
Peninsula Dental School (Faculty of Health)
- Clinical education
- Enquiry based learning
Email email@example.com to enquire.
- I am a founding and active member of the Peninsula Dental School’s Equality SAT
- I set up the Peninsula Dental School's Student Equality Champions Group
- I chair the Faculty of Health’s Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee
- I sit on the University of Plymouth’s Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee
- I sit on the University of Plymouth's Athena SWAN Committee and am the Communications Lead for the Athena SWAN action plan
- I am a Priority Sponsor for Vulnerable Groups in the Semester 1+ project
- Nationally I sit on the Diversity in Dentistry Action Group, part of the Office of the Chief Dental Officer.
General Dental Council
Roles on external bodies
General Dental Council’s External Examiner for ORE (Overseas Registration Examination)
Diversity in Dentistry Action Group. Office of the Chief Dental Officer
UK-Wide Clinical Skills (Simulation) Collaboration
I believe teaching should be engaging, active and thought provoking to be effective. I have studied adult learning theories in the literature and use evidence-based strategies to underpin my teaching style.
I deliver a wide range of teaching within Peninsula Dental School, mainly based on clinical dentistry to both the Dentistry programme and the Dental Therapy and Hygiene programme.
I am especially proud of the impact I have had on students who are struggling to be successful, by designing and implementing an academic remediation process that has both short-term and long-term positive impacts on student outcomes.
Staff serving as external examiners
General Dental Council's External Examiner for ORE (Overseas Registration Examination)
My research is mainly educationally based around clinical dental education.
The dissertation for my Masters in Clinical Education used qualitative methodology to evaluate patient and student perceptions around patients giving feedback to dental students on their communication skills.
Grants & contracts
2014 University of Plymouth PedRIO grant
Key publications are highlightedJournals
1. Short oral presentation and poster: C. Coelho; “A critical appraisal of the literature oncommunication skills training in dentistry” at 2015 international Associationfor Dental Education in Europe conference in Hungary.
2. Short oral presentation and poster: S. Hanks, C .Coelho, P. Schoenborn and R. Coster;“Dental Foundation Trainers’ (DFT) perception of the “Preparedness for Practice” of new dental graduates” at 2015 international Association for Dental Education in Europe conference in Hungary
3. Short oral presentation and poster: C .Coelho; “A qualitative study to explore the issues for patients when giving feedback on the communication skills of dental students”at 2015 British Society of Dental Research national conference in Cardiff, UK.
4. Short oral presentation and poster: C. Coelho; “Shifting academically failing or under-performing dental students to succeeding ones” at 2016 international Association for Dental Education in Europe conference in Barcelona.
5. Short oral presentation and poster; C. Coelho, S.Hanks; “Does science knowledge learnt in problem or enquiry-based learning sessions transfer to other learning spaces?” at 2016 international Association for Dental Education in Europe conference in Barcelona.
6.Short oral presentation and poster : S. Hanks, C. Coelho;“Evaluating the DayBook: Long Distance View of the Educational Impact of a Teaching and Learning Resource” at 2016 international Association for Dental Education in Europe conference in Barcelona.
7. Short oral presentation and e-poster: C. Coelho, P. Trimble and P. Ward: "Evaluation of inter-professional learning with dental and law students using problem-based learning methodology" at 2018 international Association for Dental Education in Europe conference in Oslo.
1. Poster: C.Coelho and S. Hanks; Closing the loop on feedback – using student voice to enhance student experience. At Vice Chancellor’s Teaching and Learning Conference, Plymouth University, 28th June 2013.
2. Poster: C.Coelho and S. Hanks; Pioneering near peer learning events to empower student development towards employment. At Vice Chancellor’s Teaching and Learning Conference, Plymouth University, 27th June 2014.
3. Poster: C.Coelho, S. Hanks and P, Schoenborn; What do dental trainers think of the preparedness for practice of dental graduates? At PedRIO Annual Conference 17th April 2015.
4. Poster: C. Coelho: Student led plenaries. At 2015 PUPSMD Education Conference, April 2015.
5. 22. Poster: J. Collingwood and C Coelho; “A 3D printed preclinical simulation training model to teach caries removal in Dentistry” at Health Education England Simulation, Innovation & Patient Safety Conference - Achieving Excellence in Healthcare, October 2019.
2015 Education Conference for University of Plymouth Faculty of medicine and Dentistry Education conference
2018 Education Conference for University of Plymouth Faculty of medicine and Dentistry Education conference
Other academic activities
Awarded the 2016 ADEE (Association for Dental Education in Europe Excellence in Teaching Award (Early Career Educator).