Dr Asiya Khan
Associate Professor of Multimedia Communication and Intelligent Control
School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
- Dr Asiya Khan is a Lecturer in Control Systems Engineering and the Associate Head for Teaching and Learning in the School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics (2019-Date).
- She was the EDI Lead for School of Engineering from 2016-19 and led the School to a successful Athena SWAN Bronze award.
- She was the Stage II tutor from 2017-2020. She is a member of the Autonomous Marine Systems research group.
- Athena SWAN panelist 2017-Date
- PhD in Quality of Experience (QoE) of video over wireless/UMTs networks prediction and control, University of Plymouth (2011)
- PGCAP, Plymouth University (2016)
- PGCert , Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (LTHE) 500, University of Plymouth
- MSc in Communications, Control and Digital Signal Processing, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow (1993)
- BEng (Hons) in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of Glasgow, Glasgow (1992)
- University of Plymouth - Associate Lecturer Demonstrator - Various Control Engineering modules, Foundation Numerical Techniques and Introduction to Computer Systems (2007-2015)
- University of Plymouth - Research Assistant - Perceptual Quality of Service, School of Computing and Mathematics, Plymouth University (2008-2010)
- British Telecoms PLC - Worked in various management positions (1994-2002).
CEng, MIET, IEEE - member
Roles on external bodies
Journal of Marine Engineering & Technology
IET Image Processing
International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks
QoMEX Conference Melbourne Australia
WPMC Conference Brest, France
QoMEX Conference Mechelin Belgium
Special issue on ‘Video communications over wireless networks, IET Journal on Communication.
Special issue on 'Quality of Experience issues in Multimedia Provision' of the Telecommunications Journal.
Editors to Special issue: Dr Abayomi Otebolaku, Professor Gyu Myoung Lee, Professor Edward Meinert, Dr Asiya Khan and Dr Gloria Iyawa
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 30 September 2021.
Please click the following link https://www.mdpi.com/journal/electronics/special_issues/IOTHC
Co-chair of Local Organising Committee for Control 2022
Final stage module - Control and Intelligent Systems Design (Cont317) (ML)
- Modelling of multimedia quality using artificial intelligence (AI) and regression modelling
- Subjective video quality evaluation i
- Mapping of network (e.g. PER, delay, jitter, etc) and application (e.g. frame rate, send bitrate) parameters to perceived QoS
- Control/Adaptation of video quality using fuzzy logic, neural networks or ANFIS (neuro-fuzzy systems)
- Control of autonomous vehicles on land, surface, underwater and aerial
- IoT, wireless sensor networks
- Image processing and analysis
- Digital health - application of AI in digital health
- Gender under-representation in engineering
Member of Autonomous Marine Systems (AMS) research group
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
Fourth supervisor for Dr Yogang Singh, "Cooperative Swarm Optimisation of Unmanned Surface Vehicles", completed 2018.
Grants & contracts
Key publications are highlightedJournals
Reports & invited lectures
ICE Inclusivity event 2016
Member QUALINET (http://www.qualinet.eu/) - European Network on Quality of Experience in Multimedia Systems and Services
QUALINET QoE-NET Summer School - invited guest lecture 2016
UK Robotics public engagement event - organising committee - 2017-2018
Soapbox Science Plymouth 2019
Female engineering South West event - organising committee (led by UWE Bristol) - 2019
Athena SWAN panelist 2017-Date
co-organiser of the Control 2020 Conference 6-8 July 2020