Mr Anastasios Plessas
Honorary University Fellow
Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry (NC)
NIHR Academic & Clinical Fellow in General Dental Practice
DipDS (2008) - University of Athens,
DipPCD RCSI (2013) - Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
MSc (Dent Sci) (2014)- University of Glasgow
PgCert ClinEd (2015)- Plymouth University
BDA member, British Dental Association
BSP member, British Society of Periodontology
IADR member, International Association for Dental Research
FGDP member, Faculty of General Dental Practice
HEA Fellow, Higher Education Academy
GDC Registered (182999), General Dental Council
Evidence Based Dentistry
I am currently undertaking a research project exploring the impact of stress on dentist's performance and decision making. The project is part of my ResM postgraduate degree (Research Masters).
The project consists of a
1. A systematic review of the literature on the impact of stress on dentist's performance
2. A systematic mapping review on dental decision making models and factors affecting dental decision making. and
3. A study on the impact of time pressure on dentists' diagnostic decision making. (Study Webpage)
Study Webpage: https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/research/role-of-time-pressure-on-dentists-diagnostic-decision-making
Other Research Interests & Activities
a) Piercing complications in the oral cavity (2009-10)
b) Type 1 diabetes and radiographic bone loss (2013-14), as part of my Masters Degree.
c) Early-Bird 3 Diabetes Study- Dental Sub-study (2014-15)
1) Plessas A.Computerized Virtual Reality Simulation in Preclinical Dentistry: Can a Computerized Simulator Replace the Conventional Phantom Heads and Human Instruction? Simul Healthc. 2017; 12(5):332-3382)Plessas A. Nonsurgical periodontal treatment: review of the evidence. Oral Health Dent Manag. 2014;13(1):71-80.
3) Plessas A, Pepelassi E. Dental and periodontal complications of lip and tongue piercing: prevalence and influencing factors. Aust Dent J. 2012;57(1):71-78.