Tips for Healthy Eyes
The following tips will help you keep your eyes healthy:
- regular eye tests – regular eye tests will allow your optometrist to monitor your eye health and spot any developing problems early on
- eat more fruit and vegetables – eating five portions of fruit and vegetables each day helps keep your eyes healthy
- quit smoking – smokers are more likely to experience problems with their eyes than non-smokers
- monitor alcohol intake – heavy alcohol consumption is associated with an increased risk of early age-related macular degeneration.
- exercise regularly – regular exercise helps keep your eyes as well as your body healthy
- protect your eyes from the sun – wear sunglasses when the sun is bright and wear a sun hat
- look after your glasses – old, scratched or dirty glasses can cause eyestrain and give you headaches
- talk to your doctor or chemist about eye problems – it is important to protect your eyes from hayfever and allergies. Ask for help if your eyes are red, itchy or sore
- avoid touching or rubbing your eyes – your eyes need to be kept clean. Wash your hands and face often.