What is a Knowledge Transfer Partnership?
It's a partnership between a business seeking expertise, an academic institution (such as University of Plymouth) and a recently qualified graduate/postgraduate - known as the KTP Associate.
The Associate is jointly supervised to work on a specific project which facilitates innovation and helps to embed new capability within that business.
It is also one of the UK’s largest graduate employment programmes. There are over 300 job opportunities each year. Taking part can help your career and often leads to a permanent job. Upon successful appointment, the KTP Associate is employed by University of Plymouth (between 12–36 months) but works in the business day to day focused on delivering the agreed KTP project plan.
What are the benefits to me?
For Associates, the partnership provides a fantastic platform to launch or advance their career. KTP presents the opportunity to manage a challenging project central to the strategic development and long term growth of the business as well as providing personal development opportunities.
KTP can help recent graduates and postgraduates to:
- earn a competitive graduate-level salary
- fast track and enhance their career prospects by leading and delivering a strategic project
- around 60 per cent of Associates are offered employment by their host business on completion of their KTP project
- access top-class training and development in business management, entrepreneurship and leadership skills – with dedicated time and budget available to support
- potential to register for a higher degree.
Am I eligible?
A Bachelor Degree or Postgraduate Qualification (normally three to five years since graduation), achieving a 2:1 (Hons) or above in the relevant subject area from any University. Our Associates must have excellent communication skills and the ability to work on their own initiative and as part of a team. Can meet the requirements of UK ‘right to work’ legislation'.
How does it work?
As a graduate you can register interest and seek current KTP job opportunities by:
- registering a profile and viewing national KTP vacancies
- for Plymouth University KTP vacancies visit our jobs and search current opportunities by KTP.
“Being a KTP Associate is a truly unique opportunity. With KTP, I’ve had the opportunity to develop both my academic and professional skills as well as contribute towards the future development of this organisation.”
- Harriet Knowles, Maritime Sustainable Development Officer, Falmouth Harbour Comissioners
How much will it cost?
No costs are incurred for registering your interest in KTP job opportunities, both nationally or with University of Plymouth.
Speak to one of the team