Welcome to Plymouth University’s Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine (ITSMed). Launched in January 2014, the Institute brings together world-class research strengths in both basic laboratory and translational clinical science, providing a strong, collaborative, interdisciplinary environment to develop high-impact, translational research of clinical relevance. The Institute hosts two major research groups, Biomedical Research Group and Clinical Trials and Population Studies Group, with combined facilities and resources that cluster researchers with recognised expertise.
Our focus is on three core research themes: Cancer, Clinical Neuroscience and Infection, Immunity, Inflammation, facilitated by cross-cutting expertise in Diagnostics, Clinical Trials and Public Health research.
This translational research is enabled by the Peninsula Clinical Trials Unit (PenCTU), the South West’s only UK Clinical Research Collaboration (UKCRC) registered Clinical Trials Unit.
Our research strengths were confirmed by the excellent results from our submission to the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 which ranked us first in the UK for quality of research outputs in clinical medicine, above medical schools at Oxford and Cambridge.
The outward looking and expansive growth in research capabilities is underlined by the construction of the Derriford Research Facility, a £17m investment in to the University’s biomedical research infrastructure, which will provide additional state-of-the-art laboratories for ITSMed researchers and our partners.
We look forward to hearing from you.
- Additional funding for prisoner mental health collaboration 23 June 2017
- Neural stem cell placement for student 16 June 2017
- Visiting virtual beach improves patient experiences during dental procedures 14 June 2017
- Could sleep affect weight gain in pregnancy? 7 June 2017
- Older adults under-referred for mental health therapies 6 June 2017
Future seminars and events
- Meaningful stakeholder involvement in behaviour change research with traditionally marginalised groups 6 July 2017 10:30 - 11:30
- Laboratory Tour 12 July 2017
- British Society for Oral and Dental Research Conference 2017 6 September 2017 - 8 September 2017
- Laboratory Tour 8 November 2017
ITSMED annual reports
Derriford Research Facility
Plymouth University is building a prestigious £17 million biomedical research facility to provide additional state-of-the-art laboratories and a research-intensive environment for World-leading scientists to investigate a range of devastating diseases.
The facility will have a transformative effect on the region's medical landscape while enhancing the global impact of the University's research.Find out more about the new Derriford Research Facility