Welcome to the University of Plymouth’s Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine (ITSMED).Headquartered in the University’s prestigious new £17M Derriford Research Facility, ITSMED brings together world-class research strengths in both basic laboratory and translational clinical science, providing a strong, collaborative, interdisciplinary environment to develop high-impact, translational research of clinical relevance.
The Institute hosts two major research groups, Biomedical Research Group and Clinical Trials and Population Studies Group, with combined facilities and resources that cluster researchers with recognised expertise from across the Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry (PU PSMD) and beyond.
Our focus is on three core research themes: Cancer, Clinical Neuroscience and Infection, Immunity, Inflammation, facilitated by cross-cutting expertise in Diagnostics, Clinical Trials and Public Health research.
This translational research is enabled by the University of Plymouth’s UK Clinical Research Collaboration (UKCRC) registered Peninsula Clinical Trials Unit (PenCTU), Medical Statistics and Systems Biology Centre teams.
Our research strengths were confirmed by the excellent results from our submission to the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 which ranked us first in the UK for quality of research outputs in clinical medicine, above medical schools at Oxford and Cambridge.
- Research to explore the development of deadly brain tumours 16 October 2017
- ‘Nutrient extraction’ can lower the glycaemic index of fruit juice 10 October 2017
- Conference successful showcase of dental research 29 September 2017
- National prize win for dental PhD student 20 September 2017
- Dental academic wins European poster prize 12 September 2017
Future seminars and events
- Video-calls to reduce loneliness and isolation in care environments 25 October 2017 14:00 - 15:00
- New insights into the pathogenesis of NF2 31 October 2017 16:30 - 17:30
- Applying ‘dark logic’ in practice 7 November 2017 14:00 - 15:00
- Dental pulp stem cells in tooth growth and repair 7 November 2017 16:00 - 17:00
- Global Health Cafes 8 November 2017 13:00 - 13:50
Derriford Research Facility
Prestigious new £17 million HQ of the Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine, providing additional state-of-the-art laboratories and a research-intensive environment for World-leading scientists to investigate a range of devastating diseases.
The facility will have a transformative effect on the region's medical landscape while enhancing the global impact of the University's research.Find out more about the new Derriford Research Facility