Welcome to Plymouth University’s Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine (ITSMed). Launched in January 2014, the Institute brings together world-class research strengths in both basic laboratory and translational clinical science, providing a strong, collaborative, interdisciplinary environment to develop high-impact, translational research of clinical relevance. The Institute hosts two major research groups, Biomedical Research Group and Clinical Trials and Population Studies Group, with combined facilities and resources that cluster researchers with recognised expertise.
Our focus is on three core research themes: Cancer, Clinical Neuroscience and Infection, Immunity, Inflammation, facilitated by cross-cutting expertise in Diagnostics, Clinical Trials and Public Health research.
This translational research is enabled by the Peninsula Clinical Trials Unit (PenCTU), the South West’s only UK Clinical Research Collaboration (UKCRC) registered Clinical Trials Unit.
Our research strengths were confirmed by the excellent results from our submission to the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 which ranked us first in the UK for quality of research outputs in clinical medicine, above medical schools at Oxford and Cambridge.
The outward looking and expansive growth in research capabilities is underlined by the construction of the Derriford Research Facility, a £17m investment in to the University’s biomedical research infrastructure, which will provide additional state-of-the-art laboratories for ITSMed researchers and our partners.
We look forward to hearing from you.
- Deep-sea sponges – home to the next generation of antimicrobials? 17 August 2017
- Funding for gene therapy to injured peripheral nerves 9 August 2017
- University spin-out company addresses new vaccines 8 August 2017
- The escalating cost of alcohol misuse, obesity and viral hepatitis 4 August 2017
- Funding for first system to monitor the hidden dangers of ships’ ballast 3 August 2017
Future seminars and events
- Ontological Changes in the Journey to Medicine: Characterising Threshold Concepts from Reflective Essays 1 September 2017 10:00 - 12:00
- British Society for Oral and Dental Research Conference 2017 6 September 2017 - 8 September 2017
- MedSoc Conference 21 October 2017
- Laboratory Tour 8 November 2017
ITSMED annual reports
Derriford Research Facility
Prestigious new £17 million HQ of the Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine, providing additional state-of-the-art laboratories and a research-intensive environment for World-leading scientists to investigate a range of devastating diseases.
The facility will have a transformative effect on the region's medical landscape while enhancing the global impact of the University's research.Find out more about the new Derriford Research Facility