The Volcanic and Magmatic Studies Group - a joint special interest group of the Mineralogical Society of Great Britain & Ireland and the Geological Society of London - are delighted to announce their 56th annual meeting will be held in Plymouth between 7-9 January 2020.
This is a 2.5 day meeting and registration will include attendance at the meeting, access to posters and talks, lunch (7 and 8 January), mid-morning and afternoon refreshments. The conference dinner is included in the registration fee.
The conference venue is the Crowne Plaza hotel on Plymouth Hoe.
1. Processes at plate margins (J Barclay and M Harris)
2. Magma storage and transport (M Edmonds and A Morris)
3. Timescales and rates of magmatic processes (C Petrone and P Cole)
4. Intraplate magmatism (M Harris and S Gibson)
5. Monitoring and forecasting (J Hickey and J Johnson)
6. Hazard, risk and communication (J Phillips and I Manzella)
7. Research in Progress (P Cole and A Peach)
Keynote speakers include:
VMSG award winner Professor David Pyle, Oxford University
- Professor Kathy Cashman, University of Bristol: ‘From magma storage to eruption: New questions for a new decade’
- Dr Mike Cassidy, University of Oxford: ‘Explosive or Effusive? Investigating the controls of volcano eruptive style’
- Dr Johan Lissenberg, University of Cardiff: ‘Magma processing in the lower oceanic crust'
- Professor Costanza Bonadonna: ‘Integrating hazard, exposure and vulnerability for risk assessment and management: the case study of Vulcano island, Italy’
The abstract deadline is Friday 22 November.
Venue: Sustainability Hub, Kirkby Lodge, University of Plymouth
A half day workshop entitled ‘Communicating volcano science using narratives and storytelling’ will be held at the University's Sustainable Earth Institute, from 14:00 on 9 January (immediately after the meeting). The workshop will be led by Professor Iain Stewart and Professor Jenni Barclay (UEA). The workshop is free of charge but is strictly limited to 40 participants.
More information will be added to this page as details are confirmed.