Calling University of Plymouth students! The first step to a bigger journey is simply to open the door, so please join us for an information day on volunteering in Sri Lanka.
Our project, called Vishwāsā (meaning “Belief” in Sanskrit), offers opportunities for pairs of volunteers to visit rural Sri Lanka to deliver an English language-based empowerment programme designed by experts. The programme is structured in 2-week-long ‘modules’ covering a range of topics including Communication skills, Leadership skills, Project development and Presentation skills, Action research and CV and interview skills, to a group of highly motivated participants, all of whom would have sat their University Entrance Examination (GCE A level) at least once.We believe this will enhance social mobility by increasing the confidence and improving the life skills of the Sri Lankan participants, as well as help our volunteers develop their own generic skills. We hope that, over time, these exposures will help develop a new cadre of socially conscious individuals on both sides.
The volunteering opportunities come at no cost to participants and include free accommodation and most meals.
HOW YOU CAN HELP...
Could this be you?
- Make a difference by sharing your skills.
- 'Practising English' was our top request by the Sri Lankan students, so you need not be a professional juggler to make your mark!
- Take the opportunity and get to know another culture - what better way is there to explore than to actually live in the community rather than merely travelling through?!
- Get a little support along the way - we'll have induction days to ease you in and for your efforts while you're there, you'll be rewarded with FREE accommodation and most meals.
- Take a break - the word 'serendipity' originated from Sri Lanka... sometimes it is good to step back from our busy lives and share with others!
- Please note that there'll be more flexibility on dates if you travel with a friend so do bring along anyone you think may be interested.
The Vishwāsā project is open to all and led by staff and students from the University’s Peninsula Medical School – empowering young Sri Lankan people through education to access opportunities for employment. The first volunteering programme runs from 2 September - 22 December 2019 and comes complete with free food and accommodation.
If you missed the last information session, come along to our next one on Wednesday 1 May at 2pm. Please email your interest to email@example.com if you would like to attend and be updated on the venue at the University.
Email us for further information or keep up to date with the project via our Facebook page.
We look forward to seeing you! The
Vishwāsā Team - Poorna, Nirmal, Claire, Rosie and Lucy.