Everyone welcome! (11:00-late) - free entry
There won’t be many events in the South West this year where you can combine a fun day out for all the family with the best in world entertainment and the opportunity to see world-leading scientific research in action.
But Plymouth University’s Big Festival Weekend, incorporating the Plymouth Respect Festival, will do that and much more. Taking place on Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 June, it will showcase the University’s campus and facilities while celebrating and educating about diversity and culture. Here’s just a glimpse of the amazing array of events on offer…
Respect Festival parade
Departs Plymouth Guildhall at 10:30, arriving at Plymouth University at 11:00.
Music and performances
- Saturday performances confirmed so far – Kouatchou, Fanfara, Reggasjas, Haunt the Woods, Yaaba Funk.
- Sunday performances confirmed so far – Beat Breakers, Co Op Big Band, AQ Flying Orchestra, RSVP, Blue Spots, The Turbans.
Visit the Plymouth Respect Festival website to view some of the artists' performances.
Unity stage: to include Refugee Week entertainment, International Fashion Show and Sam Kallon Award Presentation, Thai dancing from Plymouth Thai Association, Indian dance, Greek School of Dance, Salsa lessons, Zumba lessons, Ricky Romaine sitar, reggae, Spanish guitar.
Acoustic café: performances throughout the day from local singer-songwriters.
Refugee Week finale (20 June)
Fun for families (11:00-17:00)
- Craft activities – including fish decorating competition, pirates and princesses, jewellery making, Father’s Day card making.
- Map where your clothes come from and dress up in your future career.
- Dartmoor Zoo – creepy crawlies and petting zoo / Tamar Valley Donkey Park / Jack’s Zoo – selection of animals.
- Face painting / soft play area / infinity tower / climbing wall.
- Junk Band workshop / storytelling / segways / stands and stalls.
- Mascot Olympics (Saturday - times TBC).
- Westcountry Hawks showcase (14:00-16:00 Saturday).
- Robotics showcase (Sunday) / Titan the Robot (Sunday).
Live Well Health Zone – Portland Square
- Free health checks.
- Reflexology/ Indian head massage / shiatsu massage / kinesiology / Thai foot massage / reiki / yoga.
- Showcase of University courses / stands and stalls.
Discover the University
- Curious Campus tour for children.
- Marine Building tours (13:00, 14:00 and 15:00 each day) - see below to book.
- Immersive Vision Theatre - see below for details.
- Showcase activities – dentistry, LABplus, digital security, robotics (Sunday only 12:00-16:00), Babylab, mathematics.
- Library / learn about our courses.
- Peninsula Arts / Arts Degree Showcase – HOT’15.
Relax in the historic Drake’s Place Gardens and Reservoir
- Trading spaces on the promenade.
- Writing Café (12:00-15:00 Saturday only).
- Giant ships made by schoolchildren in the reservoir.
- BBQ at the Reservoir Café.
- Storytelling (12:00-17:00) Saturday and Sunday.
- Ping! in the Park (table tennis).
- World cookery theatre (see below for details) / world food market.
- Respect Café / Reservoir Café BBQ.
- Plymouth Respect Film Programme - a screening of short films celebrating diversity, challenging stereotypes and exploring cultures (12:00-16:00, both days, Jill Craigie Cinema, Roland Levinsky Building).
- 'We Bought a Zoo' with Q&A.
Stands and stalls (Big Festival Weekend marquee and Live Well Health Zone)
- Respect Festival stalls, stands and workshops.
- Plymouth University partners stands.
- Alumni networking event – Saturday from 15:00.
- Students' Union Old School Reunion – Saturday from 20:00.
- Harbour cruise boat trip – Sunday from 11:00.
We do hope that you will join us! You can pick up the full programme booklet on the day.
Got a question? Email email@example.com