The University’s Institute for Social, Policy and Enterprise Research (iSPER) is partnering with the Institute of Export & International Trade (IoE) to organise their South West global trade summit.
Aimed at businesses in the South West who are working in international trade, the summit will examine the issues and opportunities in accessing new markets.
The University’s Vice-Chancellor Professor Judith Petts will be speaking at the event which will also feature a keynote talk from Lord Stephen Green, President of the IoE and former Minister of State for Trade and Investment.
09:00 - Registration and coffee
Morning session: Brexit and International Trade
- 09:30 - Welcome by Lesley Batchelor OBE, IOE&IT and Professor Jingjing Xu, University of Plymouth
- 09:45 - Stephen Dilley, Partner at Bond Dickinson - 'Brexit and the law'
- 10:05 - Siddharth Mukne, Regional Head at UK India Business Council - 'India market and why export to India'
- 10:25 - John Worthington, CEO at IBT Online - 'Grow your sales, brand and business online globally'
- 10:45 - Coffee break
- 11:00 - Debate: 'Passive to proactive - changing the outlook of the South West'
- 12:00 - Iman El Sherif, Secretary General at the Egyptian-British Chamber of Commerce - 'The gateway to Egypt'
- 12:20 - Dr Lise Hunter, University of Plymouth - 'UK Enabling Trade index and impact after Brexit'
- 12:40 - Richard Holt, Director at Creative Innovation Centre CIC - 'The Design Industries: UK as a global leader in business innovation development and improved productivity'
- 13:00 - Lunch
- 14:15 - Welcome by Professor Judith Petts, Vice-Chancellor, University of Plymouth
- 14:20 - Keynote speaker: Lord Green of Hurstpierpoint, President of the IoE&IT
- 14:40 - Tim Jones, Chairman of Devon & Cornwall Business Council - 'Artificial intelligence: threat or opportunity for UK in new international markets'
- 15:00 - Miles Carden, Aerohub Cornwall - 'Space Cornwall: launching a new pioneering technology revolution in the South West'
- 15:20 - Coffee break
- 15:35 - Dr Andreas Walmsley, University of Plymouth - 'Enterprise education and regional support after Brexit'
- 15:55 - Alastair Ross, Director at Codexx Associates Ltd - 'Innovating product and service value for global markets'
- 16:15 - Janakan Sothinathan, University of Plymouth – 'Investigating the effects of internationalisation on the innovation of SMEs in emerging markets'
- 16:45 - Concluding remarks
- 17:00 - Drinks reception and networking
Please register your place via the above link.
The summit is sponsored by Bond Dickinson, Middleton Jones and Southwestern Distillery.