Cyber Security Challenge will be holding its third annual event in the series Regional Cyber Day, partnered with Plymouth University and BlueScreenIT where pathways into the industry and apprenticeships will be highlighted.
Professor Kevin Jones, Plymouth University’s Executive Dean of the Faculty of Science and Engineering will open the day’s activities: welcoming businesses, showcasing careers, hosting cyber surgeries and creating networking opportunities for attendees from the regional and UK cyber community, and for those who'd simply like to find out more.
After a day’s activities, there will be a B2B conference "The Cyber Hub: Why Apprenticeships: An employer’s view" with an opportunity to network and hear e-Skills Apprenticeship Lead, Mark Heholt’s talk about the UK frameworks and how South West businesses can be supported into delivering inspiring future apprenticeships, showing presentations from trainers and industry to guide you.
His talk will be followed by a panel discussion with contributors including:
Exhibition stands and interactive activities during the day will include:
- Regional and UK Industry stands: showcasing cyber roles, and training and pathways into them.
- Cyber Security Challenge: stand run by past/present candidates to talk about their experience of the competition process for those wanting to have a go, with opportunities to see a past virtual game and a tool kit for beginners.
- Cyber ‘Surgeries’: to engage all, from helicopter hacking to the latest personalised ID cards and a card game to make you think about how cyber is a thought process and not just an electronic medium.
- Apprenticeships into IT and cyber security explained: 15 minute Q&A, a chance for the student and the regional business to ‘interface’ to the UK wide framework support.
- Enigma Machine: Bletchley Park demonstrates a real, working Enigma machine, providing drop-in activity sessions.
- Cyber Professional Bodies: UK wide network communities: (ISC)2, BCS, IISP, IET will be available to talk about networking and CPD opportunities.
- 9.30am-4pm: Exhibition stands and cyber surgeries
- 5pm-5.30pm: Networking
- 5.30pm: Introduction to Plymouth University and Panel (Apprenticeships into Cyber) by Chair, Professor Kevin Jones, Plymouth University
- 5.45pm; Keynote 'Introduction to Cyber Apprenticeships' by Mark Heholt, Apprenticeship Lead e-skills
- 6.10pm: 'Why the UK needs apprentices' by Michael Dieroff, CEO, BlueScreenIT
- 6.20pm: Cosmic - 'Our digital apprentices' by Vicky Moss-Crump
- Onwards: Q&A