Join the Plymouth Electron Microscopy Centre (PEMC) team, Innovate UK and ZEISS at one of our sector-focused Industrial Solutions events to discover what Electron Microscopy could do for your business.
Our event on Wednesday 18 September 2019 will focus on marine technology. At sea, materials are pushed to the absolute limits of failure in ways that cannot be compared on land or even in space. Corrosion, pressure, constant loadings and a host of environmental factors make it essential for manufacturers and designers to understand precisely how components and products perform, the limits of their reliance and their capability.
Two of our industrial partners will be explaining how they have used Electron Microscopy to understand what is happening to their materials in the marine environment and how they are overcoming some common issues. This will be complemented by ZEISS (Carl Zeiss Microscopy Ltd), who will be demonstrating the value of 3D microscopy for offshore industries, focusing on welds and coatings.
There will also be an update from Ellen Pope of Innovate UK on funding and collaboration opportunities, relevant to this sector and an introduction to the Marine Business Technology Centre (MBTC) and the University’s new experimental USV (unmanned surface vessel), which eligible Devon companies have the opportunity to use.
- 09:30 - Arrival, registration and networking
- 10:00 - Welcome and introduction to PEMC
- 10:05 - Plymouth Materials Characterisation Project (PMCP) - latest developments
- 10:15 – PML Applications Ltd (Louisa de Dross and Chris T Evans)
- 10:35 – Babcock International Group (Ben Hooker)
- 10:55 – Q&A leading into break
- 11:05 – Carl Zeiss Microscopy Ltd (Roger Barnett)
- 11:25 – Innovate UK - upcoming funding opportunities
- 11:40 – MBTC – an introduction (Rob Watson)
- 12:00 - Networking lunch
- 12:45 - Demonstration of FIB-SEM (Yang Liu)
Designed to be informative, relevant and useful in terms of practical analysis and future support and funding opportunities, each event is brief and packed with useful information to inspire – just click on the date and theme below to find out about future and past events.
7 February 2019: engineering and aerospace
10 April 2019: photonics and microelectronics
18 July 2019: healthy ageing/biomedical
18 September 2019: marine technology
20 November 2019: clean energy
12 February 2020: geoscience
2 April 2020: celebration event
The sessions are primarily aimed at the following audience with no restrictions on attendance.
- Devon-based companies (with less than 250 employees) looking to develop new products – particularly those who work in advanced engineering, photonics, microelectronics, manufacturing, composites, robotics or new energy.
- Larger companies in the same sectors.
- Business groups
- Business support organisations.
Events are free to attend but booking is essential via the above link.
Contact Claire Pearce, PCMP Manager for details.