The fifth event of the series took place on Wednesday 18 September, with a mix of delegates from industry and academia, to hear about the latest funding and support opportunities for the sector from not only Innovate UK, but also the Marine Business Technology Centre (MBTC), another Devon-focused project to support companies.
And, of course, industrial solutions in practice; PML Applications Ltd and Babcock International demonstrated how they use Electron Microscopy to support problem solving (e.g. weld failure) and new product development (anti bio-fouling).
For a PDF of the day’s presentations, please contact Natasha Stephen (please see below).
- 09:30 - Arrival, registration and networking
- 10:00 - Welcome and introduction to PEMC
- 10:05 - Plymouth Materials Characterisation Project (PMCP) - latest developments
- 10:15 – PML Applications Ltd (Louisa de Dross and Chris T Evans)
- 10:35 – Babcock International Group (Ben Hooker)
- 10:55 – Q&A leading into break
- 11:05 – Carl Zeiss Microscopy Ltd (Roger Barnett)
- 11:25 – Innovate UK - upcoming funding opportunities
- 11:40 – MBTC – an introduction (Rob Watson)
- 12:00 - Networking lunch
- 12:45 - Demonstration of FIB-SEM (Yang Liu)
Designed to be informative, relevant and useful in terms of practical analysis and future support and funding opportunities, each event is brief and packed with useful information to inspire – just click on the date and theme below to find out about future and past events.
7 February 2019: engineering and aerospace
10 April 2019: photonics and microelectronics
18 July 2019: healthy ageing/biomedical
18 September 2019: marine technology
20 November 2019: clean energy
12 February 2020: geoscience
2 April 2020: celebration event
The sessions are primarily aimed at the following audience with no restrictions on attendance.
- Devon-based companies (with less than 250 employees) looking to develop new products – particularly those who work in advanced engineering, photonics, microelectronics, manufacturing, composites, robotics or new energy.
- Larger companies in the same sectors.
- Business groups
- Business support organisations.
Events are free to attend but booking is essential.
Contact Natasha Stephen, PCMP Director for details.