What is the force of clinical objects? What of the objects of care? How are they held? How have they been held through time? Clinicians, how do you warm your objects? How do patients see/imagine/experience clinical objects? What are the ethics of objects?
In terms of critical anthropocentrism, in both medical narratives and the humanities, how are objects thought of, held in the hands, received, depicted through word and image, given ‘life’, become obsolete? And we are also interested in the other meanings of object: ‘to object’ to disagree and to ‘objectify’, and the tensions that might lie here.
"I must let my senses wander as my thought, my eyes see without looking .... Go not to the object; let it come to you." HENRY THOREAU, The Journal of Henry David Thoreau
"It is never we who affirm or deny something of a thing; it is the thing itself that affirms or denies something of itself in us." BARUCH SPINOZA, Short Treatise II
Call for Papers
We kindly encourage you to submit a proposal for presentation addressing one or more of the below-mentioned topics for the AMH Material Objects Conference 2019. The conference reflects on medical humanities practices from the point of view of their non-human factors.
- Whether medical humanities can be considered beyond typically human behaviour, expressing and reflecting the intentions and needs of human beings, but rather a point of encounter and a collaborative relation between heterogeneous elements, components or materials, like bodies, organisms and objects?
- What kinds of objects mediate between clinical bodies and patients, between ‘health’ and ‘illness’?
- What kind of objects speak to medical humanities narratives? How can medical humanities create, reject, liberate, or reunite objects?
- How might concepts of the inhuman be reconciled alongside the medical object?
- How can we ‘object’ to the use of medical tools?
(Papers from outside this call are still welcomed.)
Papers should be submitted via the above link.
Call for Papers open: Friday 14 December 2018
Submission deadline: Friday 29 March 2019
Notification of acceptance: Monday 29 April 2019
Earlybird enrolment final date: Wednesday 15 May 2019
Final enrolment date: Friday 14 June 2019
Contact email@example.com for any queries.