The 'ilikesocialsciences' project aims to raise awareness of the social sciences to the general public.
With support from the ESRC and Plymouth University, the Vertical Plus social media team are hosting a three stage project, which asks social sciences advocates (FE and HE students and lecturers) to talk about how their experience of social sciences has influenced or changed their perspective about themselves and the world around them.
Project results will be displayed in this 18 day exhibition, which takes place before, during and after the Festival of Social Science.
- Raising awareness of the event by contacting social science advocates (generally social science students).
- Students will think about how the social sciences have changed their lives and how this might be summarised in a few, very short words.
- Advocates are asked to post or tweet their thoughts or quotes about the social sciences on Facebook and Twitter during a social media day on Wednesday 2 November.
- The activity aims to create specific growth and momentum to entice further advocates to join the project to make it 'trend' or 'go viral'.
- It is anticipated that the project team will post over 400 positive messages with advocates posting over 600 positive messages.
- Advocates will have a chance to win Amazon gift vouchers for participating.
- Outputs from the social media day will be presented as part of an exhibition stand in the Roland Levinsky Building during and after the festival week.
- The exhibition will include postcards with quotes from social science advocates showing the best outputs of the day.
The social media day and exhibition is open to all (no booking required).