- Professor Daybell will provide a practical demonstration of how to read an Elizabethan woman’s manuscript letter, demonstrating ways in which aspects such as handwriting, ink, layout, paper and seals communicate significant social meaning alongside textual and historical features.
- Professor Stoyle will explore the remarkable stories of some of the ‘she-soldiers’ who donned masculine attire during the English Civil War and marched across England in both the Royalist and Parliamentarian armies.
- Kate Osborne will describe the lives of some of Exeter’s lesser-known Elizabethan women, from prostitutes to a baker’s widow.
The day includes morning coffee, a buffet lunch and afternoon tea. Cost £40 (£35 concessions).
- Purchase tickets in person from RAMM
- Phone (01392) 265858 during opening hours - Tuesday to Sunday, 10am-5pm
Contact the Royal Albert Memorial Museum & Art Gallery for further information.