Future Plymouth 2030 is a series of 12 fortnightly webinars exploring collaborative pathways to achieve low carbon, sustainable development in our city, and providing a platform for knowledge exchange and collaborative action.
With buildings currently contributing the largest proportion of Plymouth's greenhouse gas emissions (at 31%), the Built Environment community is coming together to work towards the city's climate declaration goal of being carbon neutral by 2030.
Join us to hear the latest research, industry developments
and case studies. Each webinar includes guest speakers from across the
University’s built environment disciplines, including architecture, environmental
building, urban development, construction technologies, building performance, occupant
behaviour, green walls and power electronics.
The webinars will cover a wealth of topics, ranging from how to design and build better performing new buildings, how to tackle retrofitting existing buildings, to biodiversity, carbon sequestration, behaviour change and much more.
Register now to take part in this topical series of toolkit talks and debate, to learn, share and take practical steps towards the city's 2030 carbon neutral goal!
UNIVERSITY OF PLYMOUTH GUEST SPEAKERS
Wednesday 18 November 2020: Plymouth and South West Climate Issues
- including guest speaker Professor Iain Stewart MBE - Climate Emergency on Planet Earth
Wednesday 2 December 2020: Embodied Energy and Whole Life Carbon
- including guest speaker Professor Steve Goodhew and the CobBauge research team - Natural Buildings for the Future
Wednesday 16 December 2020: Standards for Better Performing Buildings
- including guest speaker Professor Pieter de Wilde - High Performance Buildings
Wednesday 13 January 2021: Skills - Technology and Innovation
Wednesday 27 January 2021: Circular Economy
- including guest speaker Professor Katharine Willis - Developing Plymouth as a Smarter City
Wednesday 10 February: Biodiversity and Carbon Sequestration
- with Luke Pollard (MP for Plymouth Sutton and Devonport, and Shadow Environment Secretary on COP26 and action in Plymouth on the climate emergency) and including guest speakers Dr Thomas Murphy and Dr Paul Lunt
Wednesday 24 February
2021: Retrofitting the Existing Building Stock
- including guest speakers Alistair Macpherson (Plymouth Community Energy), Paul Bagust (RICS) and Tim Mitchell (Mitchell Architects)
Wednesday 10 March 2021: Behaviour Change (Psychology)
- including guest speakers Dr Alba Fuertes and Dr Rory Jones - Carbon Reduction through Changing Occupant Behaviour
Wednesday 24 March 2021: Behaviour Change (Education)
- including guest speaker Mr Chris Woodfield - Developing Change
Leaders through Low Carbon Internships
Wednesday 21 April 2021: Urban Design in a Post
- including guest speaker Mr Michael Westley - Placemaking for Wellbeing
Wednesday 19 May 2021: Future housing for Plymouth
Wednesday 9 June 2021: Planning (for the future)
Thursday 24 and Friday 25 June: Sustainable Earth Conference 2021
A two-day event bringing together researchers, businesses, NGOs, public sector, community groups and individuals to hear inspirational speakers, to network, spark ideas and encourage collaborations to tackle global and local challenges around the climate emergency. More information and registration coming mid April.