This conference is dedicated to exploring the interplay and divide between thinking and feeling in poetry.
- In what ways might poetry embody a process of thinking?
- What's the role of emotion in recent poetry?
- Can thinking be divided from feeling?
- Does a poetry of the head preclude a poetry of affect, and vice versa?
- Are these the terms of competing antagonisms or productive dialogues?
- What’s the relationship between the intellect and affect?
Poetry has long explored these questions, but this conference dedicated to 20th and 21st century work asks what ‘new’ developments are shifting the terms of debate and practice? Issues we hope to explore include the role and use of autobiography, imagination, sexuality, race, gender, faith, the lyric voice, narrative, conceptualism, history, eco-poetics and poetic materiality.
Plenaries will be given by:
- Redell Olsen
- Keston Sutherland
- Matvei Yankelevich
- Holly Pester
- Jack Underwood.