The sixth edition of the Balance-Unbalance (BunB) conference will be held at Plymouth University. Produced by i-DAT in collaboration with the Sustainable Earth Institute, Art and Sound and CogNovo at Plymouth University, BunB 2017 is being produced in collaboration with Beaford Arts, the Eden Project, Fulldome UK, Leonardo, North Devon’s UNESCO Biosphere Reserve, Plymouth City Council, RIO and the World Forum for Acoustic Ecology.
The theme for BunB 2017 is “A Sense of Place”: Our increasingly mediated relationship with the environment brings new insights to the invisible forces that affect complex ecologies.
From meteorological data flows to temporal climate change models, our relationship with our environment is becoming more abstract, simulated and remote – tempering our desire to act. Could it be that we know more and experience less? BunB 2017 maps the coordinates of our Sense of Place – the horizontal landscape to the vertical transcalar spaces of the macro/micro.
BunB 2017 is delighted to be hosting the ‘Overview’, a 50th anniversary celebration of Leonardo. The Overview celebrates Leonardo’s impact by providing a transdisciplinary change of perspective on the world.
- 19-23 August: Balance Unbalance Workshops in the North Devon UNESCO Biosphere Reserve, Dartmoor and Plymouth campus.
- 21-23 August: Parallel sessions of papers, panels and workshops for the three days of the conference.
- 21 August: Conference meal and Ocean Studios opening.
- 22 August: Leonardo’s 50th Anniversary. BunB 2017 is delighted to be hosting the ‘Overview’, a 50th anniversary celebration of Leonardo. The Leonardo Overview Panel will take place on the afternoon of 22 August, followed by a celebratory meal at the Eden Project in Cornwall.
Exhibitions 21-23 August
- The Eden Project Exhibition/installations with an opening at the Leonardo 50th anniversary meal on the 22nd.
- Ocean Studios exhibition.
- Roland Levinsky Building and The House, Plymouth University campus - performances, installations and screenings.
- Fulldome screenings, events and presentations in the Immersive Vision Theatre at Plymouth University, in collaboration with Fulldome UK.
- Public screening on the Plymouth City Centre Big Screen.
Please visit the University eStore (Registration tab) for ticket options for this event. The last booking date is 6 August 2017.