After the success of the previous dementia conferences, Plymouth University and Plymouth City Council are delighted to announce the 5th Plymouth Dementia Conference which will showcase some of the most exciting and innovative dementia projects from around Europe and the UK.
Chaired by Angela Rippon OBE, Ambassador for the Alzheimer’s Society and Co-Chair of the Prime Minister’s Dementia Friendly Communities Champions Group, and with an opening address from Alzheimer’s Society Chief Executive Jeremy Hughes, the all-day event will cover a range of topics including:
- an international perspective on dementia provided by Hilary Doxford, a World Dementia Council Member and Vice-Chair of the European Working Group of People with Dementia
- aviation, dementia and dementia-friendly airports covered by a panel of experts from the Civil Aviation Authority, the Virtual Jet Centre, Plymouth University and Gatwick Airport
- BBC Radio 4’s ‘The Listening Project’ together with an overview of a project designed to embed lifestyle prompts in radio broadcasts to aid dementia care
- poetry and dementia, with input from Tracey Guiry, Chief Executive Officer of Literature Works and Mark Grinnell, Managing Editor of BBC Radio Devon.
A series of workshops include:
- encouraging people to become active participants in dementia research from Mike Visick from the NIHR Clinical Research Network South West Peninsula
- the Rural Dementia Charter 2016-2020 chaired by Ian Sherriff and Anne Pascoe; inspirational solutions to the quality of dementia care in a residential setting from Professor Rod Sheaff from Plymouth University, and
- dementia in farming and the use of GPS in rural communities from Dr Richard Yarwood and his team, and Hilary Cragg from Nash and Co Solicitors.
Entertainment will be provided by Anna Marie Waite, a singer/songwriter and poet who will perform her latest composition 'In the Moment', which is dedicated to those with dementia and their carers.
Attendance costs £30 for students and carers, and £40 for early bird bookers and exhibitors. Lunch and refreshments and a conference pack are included in the fee.