Veterans benefits

The post-9/11 GI Bill

The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after 11 September 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.  This funding is known as Veteran’s Aid.


The Post 9-11 GI Bill will pay eligible individuals:

  • Tuition and fees directly to the school not to exceed the maximum in-state tuition and fees at a public Institution of Higher Learning. 
  • A monthly housing allowance based on the Basic Allowance for Housing for an E-5 with dependants at the location of the school. NB.  For those attending foreign schools rates are capped.
  • An annual books and supplies stipend of $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrolment. 
  • A one-time rural benefit payment for eligible individuals. 

The Post 9-11 GI Bill benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits and may be accessed no later than 15 years following your release from active duty.

Applying for benefits

Veterans who believe they are eligible to receive assistance in accordance with the Post 9-11 GI Bill should first consult the Road Map for Success pages on the US Department for Veterans Affairs website. 

This outlines the steps to take before submitting an online application with VONAPP (Veterans Online Applications).

If you are unable to apply online then call 1-888-GI BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) to have a form mailed to you.

Once the US Department for Veterans Affairs has confirmed that you are eligible to receive benefits under the Post 9-11 GI Bill you should contact the University to see if the programme of study you wish to undertake is registered with the Department.

Once a programme is registered it is registered for all current, and subsequent, veterans who are enrolled on that programme at the University.

Programs are approved for in-residence training only. The US Department of Veterans Affairs cannot pay benefits for distance learning (i.e. online study).

School certification

The University is required to certify your enrolment on an approved programme of study with the US Department of Veterans Affairs before benefits will be made available. You will need to provide us with the following information:

  • Your full social security number (SSN) 
  • The Chapter of the Bill under which you are applying for benefits (e.g. Chapter 33)
  • The full UK address at which you will be resident during term time
  • Your UK bank account details

Please note: the University is unable to certify the enrolment of students any earlier than 120 days before the start of the academic session.

Once your certification has been submitted you will be notified.

Receiving funds

Tuition payments will be made directly to the University after proof of enrolment. Housing stipends are paid monthly to the student. Books and supplies stipends are paid to students proportionately in the first month of each academic term.

The US Department of Veterans Affairs is currently unable to provide a timeframe for when students will receive funds once enrolment certification has been submitted by the University. Please contact the Department directly to enquire about the status of your benefits by telephoning 1-888-GI BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

The University cannot guarantee that the tuition fees for which you have been certified will be paid by the US Department of Veterans Affairs (whether in part or in whole). Therefore, you must ensure that you have sufficient funds to cover any shortfall between the funding you receive and the tuition fees for which you have been invoiced.