Consumer information

Academic programmes (academic majors and programmes)

Information about the University's academic programmes, including degree programmes, is available at

Code of Conduct for Education Loans

In order to prohibit a conflict of interest with the responsibilities of an agent with respect to private education loans, all agents at the University with responsibility for federal and private education loans from the USA are prohibited from the following:

  • Revenue-sharing arrangements with any lender;
  • Receiving gifts from a lender, a guarantor, or a loan servicer;
  • Contracting arrangements providing financial benefit from any lender or affiliate of a lender;
  • Directing borrowers to particular lenders or refusing or delaying loan certifications;
  • Offers of funds for private loans;
  • Call centre or financial aid office staffing assistance;
  • Advisory board compensation.

Entrance Counselling

It is a requirement that all borrowers complete Entrance Counselling to be eligible to receive a Direct Loan. The University will not originate any loans for students who have not completed Entrance Counselling. Details about Entrance Counselling are available from

Exit Counselling

It is a requirement that all borrowers complete Exit Counselling before ceasing at least half-time study. Further details about Exit Counselling are available from The University will provide reminder notices to students due to graduate who have not completed Exit Counselling.

Facilities and services available to students with disabilities

Details of facilities and services available to students with disabilities are available from the Disability Services team.

Freedom of Information

Details about the University's publication scheme, and requests to the University's Freedom of Information co-ordinator, are available on our Freedom of Information page.

Graduate placement in employment, job placement rates and graduate and professional education choices of graduates

The Destinations of Leavers in Higher Education (DLHE) survey is reported on by the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA). 

You can also view information at the University's careers and employability page. 

Preferred lender lists

The University will work with whichever private lender a prospective borrower decides to use, if they are willing to work with us. Prospective borrowers should be aware that the majority of private lenders choose not to offer loans to students studying outside the USA.

Private education loan disclosures

View further information about private education loans

Prospective private education loan borrowers may qualify for loans or other assistance under Title IV, HEA programs and the terms and conditions of Title IV, HEA program loans may be more favourable than the provisions of the private education loans.

Refund policy, requirements for withdrawal and return of Title IV Financial Aid

View details about withdrawal from studies

The University's Return of Title IV Aid Policy for students in receipt of a federal loan from the US Department of Education is available from the terms and conditions webpage associated with receipt of Direct Loans. 

R2T4 policy.

Satisfactory academic progress

The American government require that satisfactory academic progress is confirmed at each payment period to allow the student to receive their loan instalments.

Student disciplinary procedures

Details of the University's expectations for student conduct and discipline, and of the Student Disciplinary Procedure, are available on our code of conduct and disciplinary procedures page. 

Student loan information published by the U.S. Department of Education

Details about Title IV, HEA loan programs are available from the Federal Student Aid website.

Study abroad

Students spending a semester or a year in the UK can find further information from Enrolment in a program of study abroad, approved for credit by the home institution, may be considered enrolment in that home institution for the purposes of applying for federal student financial aid. In these cases, Consortium Agreement from the home institution will be required by University of Plymouth.


The University issues lists of recommended reading; there are no required book purchases.

This page provides access to relevant consumer information for students, families and staff members, as required by the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), in relation to the University's participation in the William D. Ford Direct Loan Program provided by the US Department of Education. An annual notice about the availability of Consumer Information is made prior to the first disbursement of any federal loan. The University will also make available paper copies on request.